510 rear springs go BANG

Been having an issue with noisy springs lately, i have springs that are nearly identical dimension-wise to stock in the rear but made by Eibach and are approx 225#/in.

Despite several attempts to "clock" them in the rear arms, i get a near constant banging noise from them, it sounds like something is hammering the springs, when i check out the area in the arm where the spring sits, i can see bare worn metal on the bump stop metal "base".

Is it normal to remove/replace bumpstops in the rear with something different? Has anyone else experienced this?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#225 is way too soft for the rear springs on a 510, unless you've converted to coilovers? Likely they are not correct and are unloading, or compression enough to deaden too many coils and "sproing."

225# at the WHEEL lol, my bad. They are 900ish# springs.

Car definitely isnt bottoming out, the coil seems to be "sproinging" against the bumpstop.

Skibby, i'd love coilovers, but the carbs were hard enough to afford :/ My bank account has been shot with a fuggin tommygun lately =( No fun shit either. No worries, still gettin paid at the meet.

Skibby, i'd love coilovers, but the carbs were hard enough to afford :/ My bank account has been shot with a fuggin tommygun lately =( No fun shit either. No worries, still gettin paid at the meet.

well talk coils at the meet man, see about gettin ya hooked up

• Like 1

Im thinking that because i have a Datsport rear crossmember, the realigning of the arms has taken the bump stop out of direct alignment with the "snubber" of sorts on the body side, so the spring is now slightly out of alignment, and is "strumming" the steel base of the bump stop. Pretty sure this will fix it!

9_9103R_v1_20100824.jpg

No steel lip to hit anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend just totally removing them. I haven't run bumpstops in the rear of my car for years and I have never had a problem. The rear control arm hits the body before anything else hits (at leas on my car) and at that point the suspension is very compressed. With stiff spring rates you will pretty much never compress the suspension that much (unless you like jumps).

I would recommend just totally removing them. I haven't run bumpstops in the rear of my car for years and I have never had a problem. The rear control arm hits the body before anything else hits (at leas on my car) and at that point the suspension is very compressed. With stiff spring rates you will pretty much never compress the suspension that much (unless you like jumps).

Hitting a bump stop is much better than hitting the control arm against the body... if for some reason you end up compressing the rear of the car enough to do that, you're gonna wish you had those bump stops... there's no reason to totally remove bump stops.

Im thinking that because i have a Datsport rear crossmember, the realigning of the arms has taken the bump stop out of direct alignment with the "snubber" of sorts on the body side, so the spring is now slightly out of alignment, and is "strumming" the steel base of the bump stop. Pretty sure this will fix it!

9_9103R_v1_20100824.jpg

No steel lip to hit anything.

This makes the most sense... in this situation I would probably just remove the bump stops...

What up Duke!

I swapped em out for ES ones, guess what! BANG BANG! Turned the springs 180 degrees, now only one bang on driver side... So effin weird..

Turned them 180*? So they aren't fully seated? I think I remember seeing in your build that you are running cut 3" id Eibach springs. I noticed that when I did this conversion that the spring didn't really seat well into the control arm. I ended up grinding a bit of a flat in the spring to get it to seat better. I don't know if it really helped, but may be something to think about in your case. Also, I don't know what kind of shocks you are running, but you could possibly install bumpstops on the shock shafts if you really feel the need for them.

Isn't there two areas for the springs to "seat" across from each other?

No, there is just 1. There are 2 holes in the spring seat (likely to avoid debris buildup) but if you look at the seat there is an area that drops down so t that the spring "pigtail" fits into it.

I think Duke nailed it, imperfect fit from eibach springs. I had them "seated" in the wrong holes at first, huge improvement when i got them back in the right spot. Upper hats are poly units from Racetep, seated, yes ;)

We are only referring to the rubber isolator between the spring and body in the rear. You DO want them. Otherwise they will conduct all the noise and NVH directly to the body. Racetep offers 2 heights, stock, and +1/2". Your car should already have the stock rubber ones. So, unless they are broken/rotten, no need to replace em.

That being said, i have the + 1/2" ones, i like em.