against all odds : BRE datsun 510 racing team documentary on youtube

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Vintage race cars have been having their day on the block. My friend sold his MGB racer last week for $75k - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-mg-mgb-44/

Values seem to be rising on vintage racers. But I feel they should be driven, not immortalized in a museum. I remember reading an article about Carrol Shelby's personal Cobra being inducted into the Smithsonian where is will enjoy a life of rest and never have to be driven again. I thought - what a shame. They just don't get it.

Huffaker pedigree on that MGB.  Very nice.

I really debated on buying my vintage 510 as it is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought.  Friends convinced me the asking price was a bargain though.  I will be driving it, not only keeping it safe.  A risk I am willing to take.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, angliagt said:

I went to the Monterey Historics & it was really cool to watch the 

true races out there on the track.

That's a great weekend. Only the best or most important cars are invited, so you're sure to see eome great cars. Maybe some great racing too.

When I was a kid, I saw two famous drivers duking it out in multi-million dollar race cars with body contact. To this day I can't remember who they were but I remember the talk after the race about how they were driving at 10/10ths (and they shouldn't have been...)

• Like 3
On 1/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A historic RX3 just sold for $90k to Japan - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-mazda-rx-3/

I'm a bit surprised Downing sold that RX.  I saw that car at Road Atlanta in 2018.  Very nice.

When I first became involved in racing in the mid 80's, we ran our Cosworth Vega against a bunch of 2002's and a few others, with one guy in an RX-3.  The sound and the fury of the Wankel is just fantastic.  Some of the night shots and video of IMSA and endurance racing RX-7s like the Racing Beat cars are just awe-inspiring.

• Like 2

The MGB was a Leyland sanctioned car built by Huffaker in the mid 70s, promoting their new bumpers and styling. My friend Scott raced it ans was lightning fast. I'm surprised he didn't get more for it. Actually, the bids did not meet his $75k reserve but BaT paid him the difference.

The RX3 was Mazda's first US effort and was supported by factory Mazda team members. It is right hand drive.

My theory on owning vehicles may be different than other enthusiasts. I sell when the the value is high, while most owners use that high value to help justify owning the car. Not me. High price = SOLD!!! (my kids hate that I sell every cool vehicle and keep the ratty ones...)

Cosworth Vega? I don't think we had one in the SF region, not that I remeber at least. I do remember seeing the Cosworth 4-bangers in open wheel cars. We had plenty of rotaries though. And I remember seeing the Alfa in the auction race in GT3 guise at one point. With cantilevered slicks.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Did you guys see that the Alfa is for sale. Opening day and already a $201K bid.

Begs the question, if the 46 car went up for auction, what would that fetch?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-alfa-romeo-gtv-1750-10/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2023-01-23

Wow I saw that...didn't realize it was THE Alfa.

I think you'd find the BRE car would probably sell for near the Alfa. Alfa collectors are obviously willing to spend serious coin just because it's an Alfa....but there are a lot of guys out there that have and will spend that same amount or more on a vintage Datsun/Nissan racer.

The #46 510 (owned by Nissan) and #46 240Z (the remains of the crashed original and re-bodied racer) are both in ATL. I know the guy that owns many of the original racers, including some ex Bob Sharp cars and a spare GTP ZX-T chassis. I imagine if Nissan ever elected to sell the #46 510, they would offer it to him before it ever went to auction.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2023 at 6:23 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Did you guys see that the Alfa is for sale. Opening day and already a $201K bid.

Begs the question, if the 46 car went up for auction, what would that fetch?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-alfa-romeo-gtv-1750-10/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2023-01-23

I saw an ad for it in a '70's Road&Track that I have around here somewhere.

I need to find it to see what he was asking for it.

I'm sure it was a little bit less than it's selling for now.

My thought is that the 510 would sell for more than the high bid on the Alfa now. If I had to guess, in the current market - $450k. It is, after all, the most important car Datsun ever made (arguably). A Cunningham built GTO 300zx sold last year for $750k, and the Friselle 240z GTU car recently sold for almost $400k.

The story of the 46 car's survival was told to me by Doug Barnhold, who was good friends with Frank Honsowetz. Frank knew that Datsun/Nissan had plans to crush the 46 car (factory policy for many mfgs) so he kidnapped it and hid it in a barn. Probably Doug's chicken farm out in Fontana, because they had done that a few times. Frank knew that the car was special and couldn't let it get crushed.

The #9 MGB had a list of known owners over time, including Hap Waldrop of Acme Speed Shop.

• Like 3

I saw Joe at the Runoffs at VIR a few years back,& his car was GORGEOUS!

I told him that "I had a car just like yours,only completely different".I found out

that he's no longer associated with the company.

I raced at Sears Point (or whatever they're calling it this week) in the early

'80's,in a Showroom Stock Fiesta.and had a blast!I have a picture of it going through

turn 2 on 2-1/2 wheels.

• Like 2

I still call it Sears Point. I don't care what they call it, though I think Sonoma Raceway is the official name.

Joe's Midget and Mini are both beautiful cars. The mini is rear wheel drive, and they tried to disqualify it because of the layout. He ultimately won that argument.

Ford Fiesta? Turn two is faster than most people think, but if you hit the curb too hard, you will definitely launch. The front wheel drive Fiesta must have been fun there. I used to track day my SHO, which was front drive and had a weight distribution of 70/30. Three laps and the tires were junk, which made it a front wheel drive drifting king!

• Like 1