WOW! "Barn find" custom 1973 620, hidden away since 1978!

MOODSTER

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Moody,

That is a photo I took at Victorville in 1978. That truck was awesome ! I have the magazines that it was in also. The guy to the far left wearing "Mercury wings" on His hat is none other than Greg Slay! Greg now owns the white truck with the 2 blue stripes that You have seen at the Bar-B-Que. The other guy with no shirt He is talking to is John Magnone. I am hopeful that somehow John can attend this Years Bar-B-Que also. John had a red Fontana styled 620. This show was the NAMTO Nats and quite possibly the guy that put that run on, Robbie Klima, might attend the Bar-B-Que too ! Crazy that all these years later We are all still in touch !

You have everything to "copy" this truck, just as I have with the Truckin' article in 1975 with My chopped truck, just a different color. Very cool ! ! !

name='Steroid' timestamp='1341241441' post='711701']

Hi Moody,

That is a photo I took at Victorville in 1978. That truck was awesome ! I have the magazines that it was in also. The guy to the far left wearing "Mercury wings" on His hat is none other than Greg Slay! Greg now owns the white truck with the 2 blue stripes that You have seen at the Bar-B-Que. The other guy with no shirt He is talking to is John Magnone. I am hopeful that somehow John can attend this Years Bar-B-Que also. John had a red Fontana styled 620. This show was the NAMTO Nats and quite possibly the guy that put that run on, Robbie Klima, might attend the Bar-B-Que too ! Crazy that all these years later We are all still in touch !

You have everything to "copy" this truck, just as I have with the Truckin' article in 1975 with My chopped truck, just a different color. Very cool ! ! ![/u]

Mike, is there anyway you can scan the articles and send to me ? If you get the free time? I can pm you my e-mail. Thganks, moody.

Love that red stepside!

Hey Moodster,you said your's had a custom gas tank. Is that why the filler is on top of the fender?

I had another stepside bed that I sold last year and the filler hole was "inside" the bed.This one has the filler tube and hose connected.I don't know if that came with the kit or a custom application.The dude who built this truck was into drag racing.It looks like a Mopar snap lid.kinda cool.

Those Mopar filler caps were big then. (still look good)

If I remember right,the kit didn't have the filler hole cut.

mine is on the driver's side,but it was supposedly mounted on a Courier. I have to fill that hole and make one on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

Moody what an incredible find...you guys are amazing. Hope to see it at the swdp bbq

We'll see.I have to take my son back to college that week and won't be back till Friday night.It'll take some work to get it back on a trailer due to lack of steering and the incline of my driveway.Alot of effort to load AND unload.LOL.

I need to focus all my efforts on getting "El Tiki Diablo" back on the road. Finish assembly, some interior work and get a new exhaust installed.TIC TOC!

• 1 month later...

Hey Moody. Are You going to be able to trailer this to the Bar-B-Que for display? Hope so ! ! !

I won't be back from up north until Friday night and its a huge chore ( no steering or brakes) to drag out of the garage and load, then do the same on the flip side. Besides, I have no one to drive my tow rig because WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE DRIVING OUR NEW 620's!!!!!!! Looking forward to this coming weekend for almost a year1

Thanks Skib, that is because I was there. Remember I got My first 620 in December 1973 and was in the same club a few months later with Marty Smith (who wrote the "just mini truckin'" section in Truckin' Magazine during the 70s) per His invite. I actually am the guy that shaved His tie down hooks on His show truck The Hobbit. Hey, I might as well practice My first attempt on somebody else's truck, right ? ! ? ! ! To date I have probabily shaved hooks on between 30 to 40 trucks which is why You see the nickname "Dr. De Hookian" on My profile. I attended all of the big runs up until 1982 so I either saw it, photographed it or remember it (somehow) ! ! I am just happy to be into 620s again and accurately answer Your questions from that great time. If I cann't answer something, I do know where to look in My magazine collection to substiatiate My claim.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...