My new baby!!!!

sethris

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fiero seat in my truck. They fit nice in 620s...I have them bolted right to the floor. I have Pontiac Sufire seats in my Chop top 620..I took off the rails and used the metal frame and put boilts through that,,,

As for room in chop tops...I have no problems...And for those who know me Im 6' and I am a big boy. It is a bit tight, at but if your skinny ass no issues. My Luv has Camero seats in it Ihad to take the passenger seat out just to big and tall, I put Saturn seats in....

IMG_1039-1.jpg

chop3-1.jpg

yea the seats or seat, i guess has been cut down and lowered. im 6 feet as well, and my head almost touches the headliner. my headliner is low too, and im going to do it a little different at somepoint

tranny question again!! i found a 82 datsun truck at the jy, and im wondering if this one will fit my 72 620. i couldnt find any other datsuns, except a couple turbo z auto's.

thanks, im not sure about color yet. i might go back with the scheme it has now. im having trans issues! i was told the 280z trans i have would work, but the one that came out of it, and the one i have are really different. the shifter on mine is way further back. and i found one from a 82 truck at the jy. does anyone have any insight???? im also wondering if the windsheild might work?? thanks

If memory serves me correctly, the '81 and up 2wd truck trannys have a twist to the bellhousing pattern. The pattern itself is the same , but, "clocked" on way. Your shifter will sit at an angle. Do a search for trannys and you will find all kinds of info.

What is the length of your "current" tranny from bell to yoke? There were two differant length 4 speeds. The five speed from a Z car will fit but you want to make sure you have the right year.

Also, if you could fill out the rest of your profile, it would help others to know where your located ( when your looking for parts) and what your working on in the future.

Good luck

Jester

guys i heard of a kit for 5.0 ford conversion, but after lots of searching, just found some people who have done it, but no real info. does anyone know of this? i want to do it, as i have a 5.0 roller motor. and my truck would be awesome with it!

No info from me, BUT, a friend of mine has a mid 90's Toyota 2wd pu with a Ford 351 Windsor all under the hood. Talk about a sleeper. :D He did some checking and figured out that he could run the Ford electronic ignition right off the Toyota stuff. Man that truck is clean.

tranny question again!! i found a 82 datsun truck at the jy, and im wondering if this one will fit my 72 620. i couldnt find any other datsuns, except a couple turbo z auto's.

The '72.5 and '73 620 used a short tail F4W63 tranny same as the '68-'73 510 and the '70-'72 521. It has a removable pan and drain plug on the bottom. Speedo on driver's side. These trannys are about 26.3" long

The later '74-'79 620 F4W63L 4 speeds were longer, about 31.5".

Both the optional 620 FS5W71B 5 spd ('77-'79), and the '77-'79 and '80-'83 280Z FS5W71B 5 speeds are the same length as the long tail F4W63L 4 spd and will swap into the '74-'79 620.

These later 5spds will fit the '72-'73 620 but only if the front drive shaft is shortened because of the longer tail stock. It's possible that a later '74-'79 front drive shaft (already shorter) could be swapped in to allow the longer 5spd to 'bolt in'. Another option that does not require a shorter drive shaft is a '77-'79 200sx dog leg 5speed. It's already a short tail stock.

The '82 720 would have a NAPS Z series motor which sits more vertical in the engine bay than the L series by about 11 degrees. The bolt pattern on the Z tranny is 'clocked' to the driver's side by this amount and if bolted to an L series motor would lean the shifter toward the passenger seat. Not to mention the mount would need to be modified. It is also a FS5W71B long tail and would need the shorter drive shaft.

thanks man, i have the 76 z trans and its too long too. there just arent any options at the local yards. i wanted to drive it for a while before i did a total resto on it and engine swap. but i have to think about it now. it may be better to just go ahead and do it up now! ill keep posted

You just need to pick up the fwd section of driveshaft/carrier bearing from any truck with a L series and a long tail transmission. Then that 76 tranny is pretty much a bolt in.

Grab the speedo cable while you nabbing the driveshaft section ;)

Or you could just have your shaft shortened, I think that runs around $50 at most driveshaft places.

thanks man, i have the 76 z trans and its too long too. there just arent any options at the local yards. i wanted to drive it for a while before i did a total resto on it and engine swap. but i have to think about it now. it may be better to just go ahead and do it up now! ill keep posted

A '76 Z tranny may be a 4spd. I don't think the 5spd was available until '77.

The F4W71B 4spd can be identified by looking just forward of the shifter on top of the tail stock. The 4spd will have a small flat cover or inspection plate bolted on. The 5spd won't.

You could still swap this long 4spd in and switch to the 5spd as it becomes available later.

yep its a 5 speed from a 76 fairlady z, not sure if its original or not, but i drove it before i stripped it. too bad it was so dam rusty, but oh well. i didnt even think about getting the shaft shortened, i may pursue that for the time being. im definatly going to be doing a ford 5.0 swap with an aod so if anyone see's or hears of anything in the way of kits or even someone whos done it please let me know, and ill keep posted. thanks guys!

• 5 weeks later...

hey guys, been busy, but thought i would give a quick update on the chop top. so. basicly i put my 5 speed z trans in, cleaned the tank, and carb, and actually got it running. and it runs like a top. had the driveshaft shortened 5.5 inches, and installed it. now im trying to get the clutch m/c and brakes going so i can drive it!

something ive noticed is the rear springs are not even, one has spacers on it and the other doesnt. i may have to replace these, and i have a set from newer hardbody truck that are the same length. ill keep posted!