Ughhh clutch? Trans?

fisch

Ugh man this is getting frustrating. Every time I accomplish something on my truck something else happens.

Got the weber on and the engine feels strong. Took it on its first drive today, about 2 miles.

I was pulling up a hill and 4th and third seemed to just be spinning with little actual grip. But it was moving a little. I could smell something, Clutch? Got it into second and it was ok.

Got it to the gas station and put some fuel in its tank and started the ride back home.

Hills weren't as big on the way back. 3rd an fourth seemed ok on the flats. It never popped out of gear but sometimes felt hard to get in gear. The clutch pedal feels fine.

Now I haven't driven stick for 10 years, so it was a little weird for me, and with the sloppy shifter it wasn't pretty. So there could be some driver error.

So here is where I am at. The engine seems to be running well with the current setup. But obviously with only having gone 2 miles, I haven't put it to the test.

1) I can try try get the shit I have straightened out. it has over 95K on it.

2)I know where there is a l20b with including the 5 speed out of a late 70's truck. Wants $350 for all of it but it is 3 hours away, one way. (these things are not plentiful on this coast ming you!) Suppose to be in great shape when pulled. 70K on it.

3)I know where there is an l16 with everything and 4 speed, known working, trusted seller and comes with an extra head (stock) and additional 4 speed (not know condition on the extras.) $100 for everything. It is an hour away.

Sadly I don't have the tools or experience to do engine swaps and trans swaps myself. Or knowledgeable buddies around me to help. So If I were going to pay to have this done. Should I have the engine replaced too (with a l20B?) since most folks seem to yank the whole engine when doing the swap. And at the moment both the transmissions near me have engines attached. What is the best path to take?

Or could I be over reacting, and this isn't as bad as it sounds. Remember I don't know squat and am trying to learn. I don't even know where to put in gear box oil? How do I check the level? Though I see the drain plug under there!

I won't even get into the scary sloppy steering, and inconsistant brakes.

I am getting to the point where I just want to take it to someone and say FIX IT!

Ugh, sorry for the vent. (But on a good note, I love the way it is looking! Rat tastic.)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fisch the 1st thing id check is the fluid level in the clutch master. If the fluid is low it may make shifting feel different. It can also cause the clutch to not fully engage thus you could get s "slipping " feeling. Theres a good chance too that the clutch master needs to be bled in addition. Let us know what you see.

I've been a ratsuneer for quite a few years, driving rigs that didn't come close to "road worthy!" so let me start by saying, I've been there a few dozen times :) most of my cars have came out of peoples backyards. It sounds to me like your clutch is slipping, no biggy though. If it was me I would get a few hundred miles on her and see how the clutch is acting. Remember that pic of the whole with the oil coming out? Well that is oil from most likely the rear main seal, it also gets on the clutch making it slip. If its a small leak the clutch MAY last a while. It could be a worn out clutch to. Worst case you will have to put a clutch in, not a hard job on a old Datto :) a clutch shouldn't be that tuff for you, I think you will be amazed at how easy it is :) I've always pulled the engine to do it but you can just pop the tranny off and throw a new one in. I say just don't slip it to much and see what happens.

How do the the tie rods look? Check the king pin play both these can really mess with the steering. Also tighten the steering box, that will take some of the play out of it. Don't go to tight with the bolt, its suposed to be snugged up the backed off a bit. If everything looks good get an alignment. If your going to lower it any more do that before the alignment.

Have you adjusted your breaks? 4 wheel drums are scary when the aren't kept up on.

That's cool you got to take it for a longer drive :) The first real drive is always fun :) just reading about it makes me smile :)

Pacman you just reminded me.. Check the shifter fork, the dude that comes out of the tranny, it should have about a 1/4" of free play of of doesnt the clutch isn't fully released. That will make it slip big time!!!

Pacman you just reminded me.. Check the shifter fork, the dude that comes out of the tranny, it should have about a 1/4" of free play of of doesnt the clutch isn't fully released. That will make it slip big time!!!

Oh hell you know I put a new slave on there not knowing what I was doing. Prolly got it too tight! I will check this first!!!!

Good call Jeff. I'm so used to the later 620 ones that aren't adjustable. That could very well be it. That will take a load off the release bearing too.

Good call Jeff. I'm so used to the later 620 ones that aren't adjustable. That could very well be it. That will take a load off the release bearing too.

Haha When I read what Pac posted it reminded me :D Those damn 510/521 adjustable rods!!! I like the new "auto adjusters" :D

You may end up needing a clutch but I would trust the engine and tranny so long as you have changed all oils,filters and coolant and nothing knocks or ticks too loud.Grease all the fittings around the suspension parts.Check battery and charging levels.I would suggest sticking with the stock 4 speed since you probably dont have the means to put in a long shaft 5 speed.Its a real bitch to fit.Always good to have a spare 4 speed though since they do go out.As said already,make sure the slave rod is fully extending the throw out fork and bleed it nice and good.Basically in a 521 you want your clutch pedal to barely travel 3/4" before it has resistance.Bled out that should be where you need it.

Thanks for the mental eyes guys! Ice, you were right, There was NO play on my clutch fork. It was way to tight. I haven't taken it for a spin since adjusting it (i gave it 3/16 of travel, which is between the 1/4 you mentioned and the one and a half truns back the shop manual suggested.

Here is the interesting thing. At least in the slave section on the Haynes manual, NOWHERE did it mention how to adjust the pushrod. No wonder I didn't set it right. When I installed it I just copied where the old push rod was set, and that slave had to be replaced, so it wasn't a good roll model to begin with.

I will report back on the fix after I take it for a spin. But I am already breathing easier!

• 4 weeks later...
fisch do your drawings for the public? i love your pics my 521 is hard to work on with it an hour away, tryin to find a house, baby :eek: :eek: and one can only dream at this stage in life...

Samurino, thanks for the kind words on the art! At the moment I just draw the Datsuns for myself. I am an illustrator by profession, so most of my drawing time is taken up with book publishing clients. But whenever I have a break I love drawing me some datto!

And just to update this thread. Jeff was totally right, i hadn't adjusted the clutch fork right!

adjust the fork arm/slave cylinder (Ball) so its slightly loose, as the others have said

If you know you got this right then find a hill and take it hard and if it slips then the clutch is done!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this is all you need and dont worry about a engine swap yet

Be honest on a 521 look like apain in the ass to get a trans out w/ motor in tha car. I have done 510s but not 521s.

It might be ezer to pull the motor, but even that is harder on a 521 than a 510.

let us know.

took this engine and trans out just to show you where the tranny filler plug is.:D when filling it bring the fluid level up to the plug. hope this helps my friend.

does anyone know if the breather valves are screwed in or pressed in. as you can see i broke mine off like a jackass.:eek: white round circle at the top.

fillerplug.jpg

If you know you got this right then find a hill and take it hard and if it slips then the clutch is done!!!!!!!!!!!!

another trick is to push the clutch in at hiway speed, when you release it should grab "and if it slips then the clutch is done!!!!!!!!!!!!"