tranny ID help

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like 71 transmission FS5W71B (early 80s). Not L-series, not A-series. Probably Z-series engine.

some identifying features:

* Position of starter

* Type of shifter

* Length of tailhousing

* Ribbing style

Looks like it has a bolt-on flange yoke fitted.

This was in my 510 with a L20. If this is a z series, the shifter would be tilted towrds the driver right? It seemed to be normal, straightt up. Something im having trouble with identifying it, is the exhaust mounting ears... it doesnt have any...

Is there any other picture I can take to better help out ?

thanks for the help.

If the bell housing has three ribs in the top area fairly close together it could be an early z bell housing mated to a roadster tranny

The flange tail shaft leads me to believe this is the case

Where is datsun mike can you confirm this

a pic of the top of the bell housing from the tailshaft of the tranny so it shows mounting bolt locations in reference to the ribs could conform this

Looks like L series 5 speed to me, but a picture from the back looking forward up the length would confirm this. The shifter and speedo pinion securing bolt location and the lack of a reverse check sleeve on the driver's side, suggests a pre '80s 5 speed.

The flange output is extremely interesting. The only ones I have come across on a 71B type transmission is this one, called the FS5C71B.

Transcloseratiocompititionboxwit-1.jpg

This one is a close ratio competition box, but they come in middle close and ultra close ratios. There are also non over drive 5 speeds too. The flange output doesn't make it a competition box but some competition boxes do have the flange. Very interesting.

The best and first thing to do, is place a mark on the input spline at the front and another mark on the flange where you can see it. Place in 5th and turn the input shaft five times and count the output turns. If more less than 5 turns you have an overdrive box. If 5 turns you have a non overdrive 5 speed box.

Next place in first gear and turn the input shaft 20 times and count the output turns. If 6.5 times you may have a late 280zx box and nothing special but is much less than 6.5 times you may have a Nismo competition 5 speed.

One other thing can you confirm if this is a dogleg shift pattern?

Dogleg pattern

R.2.4

Normal H pattern...

2.4.R

If the bell housing has three ribs in the top area fairly close together it could be an early z bell housing mated to a roadster tranny

The flange tail shaft leads me to believe this is the case

Where is datsun mike can you confirm this

a pic of the top of the bell housing from the tailshaft of the tranny so it shows mounting bolt locations in reference to the ribs could conform this

That would be the FS5C71A from the original Roadster. A non US market L series bell was made for it to allow it to be used in the 240Z/260Z because there was no 5 speed option back then until '77. The FS5C71A is very different.

transFS5C71Adefdesroadstertranny01.jpg

And the bell is removable...

L series 'bell'.

LRoadsterbell001.jpg

It didn't look like it was dogleg equipped but I've talked with owners of some of the competition boxes and they said they had that shift pattern. It never hurts to ask.

The 71B four and five speeds are all spline output and there is no threaded end for the nut that holds the flange on. So this is a very odd transmission.

So, this is the driveshaft that was in the 510 with the tranny... What ive found is this s a competition drivelive... True or false? 2012-05-27_13-27-06_105.jpg for som reason this pic endend up upside down... 2012-05-27_13-27-42_579.jpg

That driveshaft has a slip shaft so the driveline can collapse slightly from the rear end moving forward and backward under acceleration. This is usually done by the spline in the end of the transmission but that is bolted in solid on yours so the slip joint is needed.

I might be doing this wrong but for 5th its 5 3/4 and 1st is 6 3/4 maybe a little more edit: ok I reread your post, the less turns confused me... So, it is a OD tranny. but what the 1st gear? it does turn more then 6.5 times

A 6.642 output for 20 input turns would be a 3.321 first gear same as most 620 and 280z 5 speeds. There was a Nismo wide ratio competition 5 speed with these gears and an over drive of 0.864...

3.321 2.077/37% 1.308/37% 1/24% 0.864/14%

What makes it a competition box is the 'C' designation in the FS5C71B which signifies steel synchro rings instead of the softer phosphor bronze ones. Very likely there are better bearings and other things inside... I have never taken one apart.

No, it's the synchronizer rings. Most if not all are copper/bronze alloy. Cheap and effective, easy to use.

P0100synchroLarge.jpg

Competition boxes use Porsche patented servo steel synchros for their durability.

synchro%20ttypes.jpgbrass and steel

Yeah, i ment syncro but gear was writen.... funny how one word messes up the whole conversation ;)

Ok, just to clear i t up. The only real way to see what this gearbox is, is to crack it open and see if it has bronze or steel syncros in it?

Edit: oh and why is it that the cheap version had bronze and the comp was steel? From what i know abut scrap metal prices copper and bronze is a hell of alot more expensive than steel... i know its cheaper to cut into bronze, but wth man?

I thought this would be a post about chicks with dicks......nice score frank a race tranny I'd say save it for the 510 but....u would have to find the title from when u bought it four years ago....bu never the less it's nice to see some someone in the o town datsun crew gettin work done.... Can't wait to see it done