tranny ID help

Thats a very good point mike. They got make money some how... This isnt UNICEF you know....

Edit: Oh. And i dont think people appreciate how much of a help you are to the datsun communiity that you are... maybe they do. But thanks man, i searched for hours on end before posting this thread...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice fucked up hyper link....frannk u can still put the l 20 in .... hans and i are getting good at bench pressing trannys back up under cars.and mating to the motors...make a build thread while your at it ... project datto..

better hyper link.... for some stupid reason i hyperlinked my own thread wiith itself...

http://community.rat...on/page__st__80

Well im glad the pictures are sufficient, because right after i uploaded those pics, I reassembled it...needd to clean up and get back to my swap.

Think I should run this in the truck or my other 5spd? I remember driving the 510 with it and it felt solid, short throws for a datsun or is that just how 280 trans are?

Edit: Any idea on what its worth?

It will work just as well as a wrecking yard 5 speed from an early 280z or 620 so I doubt the average person is going to spend much on it. If you can find a Z car owner who races his car you might get a bite. This would last longer between rebuilds than the stock 5 speed. The only down side is the wide ratios ... same as the stock 5 speed. Contact Nissan or Nissan Motorsports and ask them what they sold for new or if they know what they sold for used. Maybe they can put you in contact with someone who knows a lot more about them than me.

A new from Nissan FS5W71B for a 620 with the same ratio gears as you have is $2296. I would have to assume a new competition box would be more.

I would just keep it and use it. What the hell.

Since this tranny has a direct drive shaft, I thought I would fill it up with some fluids before I shove it in the truck. Found out you can just peek into the transmission fill hole and see the syncros...

Comp tranny, steel...

2012-06-02_13-51-10_199.jpg

normal tranny, bronze...

2012-06-02_14-01-18_657.jpg

Also the fill holes are on opposite sides and the comp one is a little higher ( more capacity?)

Stock factory Nissan transmissions can have steel synchros, that does not specifically make it a competition gearbox. The true competition boxes have special gear ratios as well as steel synchros.

The lube capacity is the same FS5W71B and FS5C71B.

Trucks tend to have the hole on the left and z car's are on the right but this is not any way to ID a transmission. I've just found it this way. After 40 years lots of different transmissions have been swapped into lots of different vehicles. The 5 speed in my 710 right now has an '85 diesel tailstock on it. Before that it was in my '78 truck for several years and before that I found it in a '79 280zx in a jumk yard and it looked like an excavator had driven over it.

I found this to be a good read. http://www.classiczc...hread20792.html

and this -- http://www.classiczc...hread21549.html

Your right ggzilla, ssems that some roadsters have them. and all have them in 5th.

heres a post i found to be useful...

I agree that there is lots of confusion - but as to Datsun Competition use of the term "Competition" applied to the transmission options - I do not believe what you have outlined was really the case.

The Datsun Competition Dept. here in the US used the term "Competition 5sd." to differentiate the FS5C71B transmissions from the standard F4W71B and later the FS5W71B available in the 1977 and forward 280Z/ZX's in North America.

The 4spd. F4W71B and the Overdrive 5spd. FS5W71B, that was optional in the 77+ 280Z/and standard in ZX came with wide ratio gears and utilized the Warner type synchronizers. The "Overdrive Competition 5spd." (FS5C71B) utilized the Servo type synchronizers and was offered in either Wide or Close ratios:

Wide Ratio: #32010-N3200

1st - 3.321, 2nd-2.077, 3rd-1.308, 4th-1.00, 5th- 0.864

Close Ratio: #32010-N3030

1st-2.906, 2nd-1.902, 3rd-1.308, 4th-1.00, 5th- 0.864

Datsun Competition also offered a "Direct Drive 5spd" with 5th gear being a 1:1 ratio. The F5C71B These were referred to as the "Racing Transmissions" by Datsun Competition, and were offered with four different gear sets.

Race Transmission #1: #32010-N3220

1st-2.818, 2nd-1.973, 3rd-1.470, 4th-1.192, 5th-1.00

Race Transmission #2: #32010-N3221

1st-2.348, 2nd-1/601, 3rd-1.296, 4th-1.138, 5th-1.00

Race Transmission #3: #32010-N3222

1st-2.192, 2nd-1.601, 3rd-1.470, 4th-1.138, 5th-1.00

Rally Transmission: #32010-N3201

1st-3.321, 2nd-2.270, 3rd-1.601, 4th-1.240, 5th-1.00

So here in the US - per Datsun Competition's use of the terms:

Competition 5spd = overdrive with servo (steel) synchronizers) FS5C71B

Racing 5spd = direct drive with servo (steel) synchronizers) F5C71B

A side note just for fun:

The "Warner" type synchronizers are brass, the servo (aka Porsche type) synchronizers are steel. The Warner type provide smoother shifting - the steel synchronizers wear longer, and they will take higher RPM. Porsche actually licensed their synchronizers from Warner the Patient Holder.. then modified the design to use steel. The extended shift linkage length, in the Porsches put additional and constant pressure on the synchronizers in their transmissions (kind of like riding around with your hand resting on our shift levers), causing the brass to wear prematurely, so a design change to steel was required.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Transmission gearing chart -- http://www.gracielan...k/gearing2.html

Yes I've seen that and it's very good. You probably have....

The .... Overdrive 5spd. FS5W71B, that was optional in the 77+ 280Z/and standard in ZX came with wide ratio gears and utilized the Warner type synchronizers. The "Overdrive Competition 5spd." (FS5C71B) utilized the Servo type synchronizers and was offered in either Wide or Close ratios:

Wide Ratio: #32010-N3200

1st - 3.321, 2nd-2.077, 3rd-1.308, 4th-1.00, 5th- 0.864

What they mean is the 5 speed was optional starting in '77. They only came with Warner synchros.

The overdrive competition FS5C71B (not sure but available through Nissan motorsports) has steel ones.