i need a straight 5 speed swap anwser, going to the J/Y tomorrow.....

my 4 speed started acting up tonight so.......what are the years of the 280 (i think) that i need to look for to get the 5 speed out of, and is there anything i need to look out for in particular and it is just a straight bolt in swap correct? is there anything else i need to grab while im in there? do i need the clutch or is my new one fine? just looking for an all inclusive list, dont want to get halfway through and not have the money to finish it. i have a day to look, and can go back the next day to pull it, but need to make sure they have it before i drive the 3 hours back to get it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 5 speed from any 280z with a L28 standard motor should be fine I believe.Any stock L series has the same bellhousing pattern.Unless you have the early 620 that came with the short shaft tranny,like mine,any l series long shaft tranny should be a bolt and go.

Do you actually know if they have datsuns at this yard?Dont come home with a 720 tranny for a naps Z.Personally I would look around for an early 720 L series tranny considering there probably arent a ton of older dattos where you are at.Or even just look for the same 4 speed.

As long as it measures 31.5" or 80cm long it will fit.

There are two choices of 280Z car trannys:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transZ5speedearlywideratio.jpg[/img]"]transZ5speedearlywideratio.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg[/img]"]transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg

Take note of the over drive gear on the late box. It's insanely low so mostly for road cruising, and high mileage. Note also the earlier one has a lower 1st gear for take offs and load carrying and the gear spacing would be more spread out, or wide ratio. The late box would be a close ratio and would have the least drop in RPMs between shifts.

Another choice would be the 620 tranny from '77-'79 and has the same ratios as th early 280Z box. And last would be the '80 720 box but 1st is even lower and the gears are even more spread out:

1st.... 3.592

2nd.... 2.246

3rd.... 1.415

4th.... 1.000

5th.... 0.882

BTW don't pull an '80 4X4 as it won't have a speedometer cog drive in it.

The turbo cars had a T-5 Tremec 5spd I believe. It has an L bolt pattern but is longer so the driveshaft needs mods, and it is physicaly bigger so trans tunnel may need bashing. I'd skip it. I'll post a pic when I get home and you'll see.

Hey, looks like we're doing the same thing! Just picked up an 82 ZX 5 banger to stuff in my 71 PL521. Will keep ya posted on how it goes. Nothing wrong with my 4-speed, I just wanted a better highway gear.

Hey, looks like we're doing the same thing!

almost but not quite.

All 521's will have a short tail 4-speed.

I believe Dwnshfter's 620 truck is the year with a long tail. His 5-speed from a Z should just bolt right in and be done.

You will have some work to do. There is a thread on swapping in a Z 5-speed into a 521. Some extra work is required.

As for the 720, 1980 720 (L20b) probably uses the same long tail as the 1980 Z. Gearing might vary but the size is the same.

This site has been a real treat to work with! Yeah...I have used the "search" mechanism many times:) It even works!

This is the start of the 4 speed swap for me too. Mine stuck in 4th gear the other day and so I got one from a 78z car...turns out to be from a newer car originally though, according to the pics up top, it is a later version. Either way...fine with me!

I am looking forward to getting all the little stuff done and feeling the difference the 5th gear will make. I will try to get a pic up too. I know I like it when ya'll put pics up. Thanks guys.

Maybe he has a secret vow and he's using the search button.

close, but no cigar....dogs chewed up internet wire and then laptop had to go to geek squad for repairs....on my ex's now...... going back to the J/Y this week and will be pulling it asap, lol been working on the 240 a lot, pics will be up in a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...
So what happened to this guy?? Ex found you on her computer?

Ex's fat ass boy friend you mean.

Also, another mega-poster that i had forgotten about Cruzn620. Wonder where he went?

Jason

Yeah no posts for just over a month