Starion with illegal mods, because it's something I'd drive...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Freezing weather on the forecast so I needed to change my coolant.

CoolantDrain1024.jpg

Always wanted to use a drain hose, which worked quite well and meant I didn't have to lift up the car.

When the temps dropped to 9F, I felt like it was a good time for a video after being cooped up in the house.

You'll need some good speakers to fully enjoy the sound of the BIG BLOCK MITSU 2.6.

-Robert

• Like 1
885322_10153611728370534_920814792_o.jpg

"Starion in the mist" If only I had the Japanese cop show "Gorilla" version, with gullwing doors... I could call this "Gorilla in the mist"

This spot is barely a few minutes from my house, and for many years I've said I'd take a picture here, so I've been scoping it out for a very long time lol.  I drove by in the fog and decided the time was nowww.

-Robert

There were only 5 factory gullwing Starions built, but they were for a Mitsubishi sponsored cop show called Guerilla Group 8, which was an all Mitsu vehicle show against bad guys in non-mitsu vehicles (usually Toyotas). It was filled with 80's awesomeness and cliches, unfortunately the "non-evil google" has removed the videos from youtube.  The driver of the Starion would drive around with the gullwing doors up so he could shoot at people, and even take out a helicopter when needed, with maximum style points.

fair3.jpg

Guerilla-Group-8-Mitsubishi-Starion-640x

Someday I will buy the model kit:

GG8_06.jpg

-Robert

• Like 1

Back when I had my Turbo Talon, my buddy who was letting me rebuild my car at his place (I lived near alot of crackheads) showed me a starion electronics book. It was the size of a dictionary and full of nothing but wiring diagrams.They really had some amazing technology, even by today's terms. Being the self hater and mitsu-loving car-wiring guy I am, i have been on the look out for one ever since.

• Like 1

You know..,, every time I open this thread it makes me miss my old starion. I used to get made fun of by all my buddies that had 240sx' and civics, but that starion would have smashed all their cars! I've always been they guy who had really weird taste in cars. Mostly classic jdm. It's funny 'cause that's what's now 'the cool thing' to drive. I would trade every piece of datsun I own for either another starion, or an '86 Dodge Shelby Charger. For those of you who don't know of the late 80's Shelby's be sure to google image them. Specifically check out Omni GLH-S, Charger GLH-S, Shelby CSX, and the Dodge Shadow VNT!

FYI, Fujimi is scheduled to release a Starion GSR kit in January. Not the same, but it's something...

Or build an RC car?   :rofl:

Awesome news that they're making new kits!! I contemplated a Starion RC for a long time, but our drift battles do some damage at times... so I bought a Bandit Trans Am instead 'MURICA!! I like to claim the Starion is the Japanese equivalent of the 'maro/trans am, mostly for the lols.

-Robert

Back when I had my Turbo Talon, my buddy who was letting me rebuild my car at his place (I lived near alot of crackheads) showed me a starion electronics book. It was the size of a dictionary and full of nothing but wiring diagrams.They really had some amazing technology, even by today's terms. Being the self hater and mitsu-loving car-wiring guy I am, i have been on the look out for one ever since.

Lol, that must have been "Volume 2" of the multi part factory service manual books. If you are able to get a Datsun running well, I would not hesitate to fix up a Starion, there are forums as helpful as Ratsun. Plus, you can bother me if needed... I'm usually doing tech help over the net for multiple owners on a daily basis haha. (That's one of the reasons I posted the videos earlier on this page, to help motivate and let them know how well they can get a neglected car running.)

It's funny 'cause that's what's now 'the cool thing' to drive.

It seems the younger car guys who are into newer cars are usually quick to put down an older car, I was helping a kid with his sr20 swap on his s14 and he said "Why do you drive such an old car?!" I took him for a quick spin and scared the shit out of him LOL... he didn't say anything after that, but I don't think he understood. I've always been old school since I grew up with "old" cars, kids these days just don't have the patience to learn how to fix anything old.

I would trade every piece of datsun I own for either another starion, or an '86 Dodge Shelby Charger.

You were doing REALLY well until you got to that last part LMAO!!

-Robert

• Like 1

For those of you who don't know of the late 80's Shelby's be sure to google image them. Specifically check out Omni GLH-S, Charger GLH-S, Shelby CSX, and the Dodge Shadow VNT!

Its amazing you say that, as i was in a local u pull it a couple months back and saw an omni with Shelby all over it, only thing missing was the valve cover. No body rust, interior with shelby seats was 8/10 and inside of cylinder head was golden. Just like the Chrysler TC by Maserati that had 65k miles with the series 3 turbo 2.2l and 5 speed gearbox that i saw at another junkyard. Both cars were in the yards 1 week before they were crushed. Just sad how it seems the people that don't care often have some very cool cars. both cars could have easily been sold for more than scrap weight. and in florida most yards don't allow you to buy cars as a whole with or without title.

Haha, the charger has sentimental value to me. I once had one and loved it so much! It's easily a 9.9/10 condition. Long story short I was 17 and had my nose too deep in poontang and gf wanted me to sell it to fund a trip to CA. 3 months later she cheated on me and I kicked her out! Two of the biggest mistakes in my life..... Sell the Shelby, and being with her.

• Like 1

Haha, the charger has sentimental value to me. I was 17 and had my nose too deep in poontang and gf wanted me to sell it. Two of the biggest mistakes in my life..... Sell the Shelby, and being with her.

I had a girlfriend once that HATED my 87 silverado. Said it was a redneck truck. I told her bitch i am a redneck! That relationship didn't last long. My wife loved my truck, my talon and loves my datto. She's a keeper.
  • Like 1

I like to claim the Starion is the Japanese equivalent of the 'maro/trans am, mostly for the lols.

I claim it also, but it is because at my high school it was true.  :rofl:

All the cool kids had either a Camaro/Trans Am or they had a Starion/Corolla GT-S.  

It seems the younger car guys who are into newer cars are usually quick to put down an older car, I was helping a kid with his sr20 swap on his s14 and he said "Why do you drive such an old car?!" 

Was this recently? Because an S14 is an "old car" now...   :rofl:

I claim it also, but it is because at my high school it was true.  :rofl:

All the cool kids had either a Camaro/Trans Am and the AWESOME kids had a Starion/Corolla GT-S.  

Was this recently? Because an S14 is an "old car" now...   :rofl:

Fixed lol.

No this was not recently... probably 4 or 5 years ago.  Seems more recent than that, damn I'm getting old!!

And just to ensure the turbo daytona blasphemy (lol) has stopped polluting my Starion thread:

1503446_10153635429135534_1602107016_n.j

-Robert

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL... is that in a good way??

UPDATES!!

Been doing quite a bit with some camera's, borrowed a 50d and tried some more lightpainting and sky photography:

BlurryNight.jpg

Blurry!!

BlurryNight2.jpg

Blurry!! These were my first time using this cam. Failed hard. Massive editing involved.

So went out on a second night, this time I set the focus correctly... lol:

StarionNight.jpg

And then last week I made some camera booms:

32365_10152181088180534_1842386863_n.jpg

EMT steel pipe and suction cup mounts, adjustable alumimum camera mounts. That's my van too BTW. Mitsubishi 4ever. (Not pictured: Infiniti lol)

I made the booms for video originally, but I'll post the photo first:

Rigged.jpg

My first rig shot, missed the timing at sunset... but it turned out ok. (borrowed a d5000 for this one)

And the video test of my version 2 camera booms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FTZN423c-xA

Speakers and bass UP. 720p on. Fullscreen. Go...

-Robert

Sorry for quoting the pics ... but I like em it's the point of showing them .....

If you ever get around to doing this kind of thing again .... the photography ....

I know I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing some more of it :cool:

• Like 3