The sound that makes your butt hole pucker..

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mine wasnt as bad as that...

how the hell did the retainers come out?

anyways, i sucked a screw through the L20 once..

the screw from the throttle butterfly came out when the throttle shaft broke.. it had a horrible miss, and it was clickin like a mofo.. first looked down the carb and shit when the screw was gone..

shit again, since it wasnt running right...

pulled the valve cover and shit again... the rocker had hopped off the valve stem..

pulled the plug, and it was smashed shut like that one there..

pushed the valve down a bit, put the rocker back on the stem, re-gapped the plug and it was fine!

the screw is either stuck in the head, piston, or just went right out... who knows..

I had a run of jobs that went sideways recently. The first was a timing belt on a Civic. I've done dozens of them over the years with no problems. All the marks were lined up and I gave it a couple full rotations by hand before installing the timing cover. This time I used my 3/4" gun to tighten the crank pulley bolt without using a holding tool. Since Hondas rotate backwards, the belt tensioner is on the right side. My gun gave enough shock to jump a couple teeth which I didn't notice until I got it done and tried to start the car. Guess what? I got to replace 12 of the 16 valves. The cost of valves and gaskets was almost exactly what the profit would have been. Only took an extra day of donated labor. Neat. The car belongs to my wife's friend and she has no idea about the valves.

Maybe 2 weeks after that I was replacing the "spider" inside the intake manifold (Vortec 350) on a '96 Suburban. The job went as planned until I tried to start it. I cycled the key 3 times to build fuel pressure then cranked it over. It immediately gave a small backfire through the throttle body and that's it. The engine rotated maybe 1/2 a revolution. I hit the key again and nothing. Starter just clicked. I thought maybe the battery was weak from the hood light being on for a couple hours so I grabbed the charger. Still nothing. Any guesses?

001-61.jpg

Apparently some coolant trickled into #1 cylinder. I would estimate less than a table spoon. The combination of cosmic events resulted in the accompanying cylinder firing and there was just enough coolant and momentum to snap the rod. There was no bang. There's no way that the starter could have done that on it's own. The car had 200,000 neglected miles on it. The bore was standard but the crank was .010" under. Hmm? I ended up dropping the pan and pulling the one head. Honed the cylinder, dropped in a new rod and piston, slapped it back together and it fired right up...and had the exact same miss that it came in with. FUUUUUU!!! After double and triple checking everything I found a bent pin inside the top of the spider where the harness plugs in. It just happened to be on the same cylinder that had the initial miss which made me think I had misdiagnosed it in the first place. Once I figured that out and fixed the bent pin the car ran waaay better than it deserved to. Again, no profit and close to 2 days of donated labor. Extra neat. This one happened at work. My boss was really cool about it. The customer was told and given the option to get a sweet deal on a reman or new engine. He would have gotten free labor and a reduced cost on parts. He didn't feel the car was worth a new engine. He was very understanding about the whole thing and called back to say it's never run better and thanked me for fixing all his oil leaks.

Haha Mike, in regards to using the starter to move the vehicle,...

I once drove the 510 through a creek with only the starter. Brand new gear reduction starter, was more than adequate to 1st gear crawl through that creek.

Unfortuantely my ass got swamped, along with everything else on the floor of the car (rusty floor pans).

Not a single shit was given that day.

Got to the camping site, let the car drain, smoked a cig and drank a beer.

Good times, good times.

just bought a 98 cummins and a month later the tcase went out. under i mis-diag we replaced the tcase and rebuilt the trans. a week after it was running again the radiator started leaking bad so i replaced it and flushed the cooling system like we always do and that caused the heater core to leak. while i was flushing the system i rinsed off the engine bay and on the passenger side there is a trans cooler tank. i didn't notice the huge solder spot and when i hit it with water the solder popped off and leaked trans fluid. replaced the trans cooler then started tackling the heater core. got the dash out and core replaced then while putting the dash back in between me and my buddy helping me we dropped the complete dash and broke it in half. ziptied it back together and re assembled it. i forgot to hook back up one wire so hooked it back up and the dome light still didn't work. pulled the lens off and somehow shorted one wire out to ground and must of blew a fusible link behind the dash and nothing worked on the dash again. i have now had the truck close to two months. have over 13k into it and grenade the rear diff going to fill up the tank for the 2nd time. finally sell the truck for 6k.

I had a run of jobs that went sideways recently. The first was a timing belt on a Civic. I've done dozens of them over the years with no problems. All the marks were lined up and I gave it a couple full rotations by hand before installing the timing cover. This time I used my 3/4" gun to tighten the crank pulley bolt without using a holding tool. Since Hondas rotate backwards, the belt tensioner is on the right side. My gun gave enough shock to jump a couple teeth which I didn't notice until I got it done and tried to start the car. Guess what? I got to replace 12 of the 16 valves. The cost of valves and gaskets was almost exactly what the profit would have been. Only took an extra day of donated labor. Neat. The car belongs to my wife's friend and she has no idea about the valves.

Maybe 2 weeks after that I was replacing the "spider" inside the intake manifold (Vortec 350) on a '96 Suburban. The job went as planned until I tried to start it. I cycled the key 3 times to build fuel pressure then cranked it over. It immediately gave a small backfire through the throttle body and that's it. The engine rotated maybe 1/2 a revolution. I hit the key again and nothing. Starter just clicked. I thought maybe the battery was weak from the hood light being on for a couple hours so I grabbed the charger. Still nothing. Any guesses?

001-61.jpg

Apparently some coolant trickled into #1 cylinder. I would estimate less than a table spoon. The combination of cosmic events resulted in the accompanying cylinder firing and there was just enough coolant and momentum to snap the rod. There was no bang. There's no way that the starter could have done that on it's own. The car had 200,000 neglected miles on it. The bore was standard but the crank was .010" under. Hmm? I ended up dropping the pan and pulling the one head. Honed the cylinder, dropped in a new rod and piston, slapped it back together and it fired right up...and had the exact same miss that it came in with. FUUUUUU!!! After double and triple checking everything I found a bent pin inside the top of the spider where the harness plugs in. It just happened to be on the same cylinder that had the initial miss which made me think I had misdiagnosed it in the first place. Once I figured that out and fixed the bent pin the car ran waaay better than it deserved to. Again, no profit and close to 2 days of donated labor. Extra neat. This one happened at work. My boss was really cool about it. The customer was told and given the option to get a sweet deal on a reman or new engine. He would have gotten free labor and a reduced cost on parts. He didn't feel the car was worth a new engine. He was very understanding about the whole thing and called back to say it's never run better and thanked me for fixing all his oil leaks.

Sort of sucks when you lose money on a project, but at least the dude was stand up enough to shoot you a thanks. Some days you fall in it and come out smellin' at least a little bit like a rose. :)

Wow! How the hell did that happen?

This isn't my picture, but it's exactly like what my friend's girl's flywheel on her 80-something Camaro looked like. Story is she was doing about 80 down the free way and ended up hitting the push-button ignition she'd had installed. Nitwit didn't install it right so there was no kill relay to deactivate the button when the car was running. Blew a bunch of teeth off of the outside, then caught somewhere and ended up shattering the flex plate (automatic). Amazing thing was, other than the flex plate and starter being fucked, the engine, tranny, and converter all lasted another 20k miles after the new plate and starter was put in.

I bought a 6 year old 521 in the 70s and eventually had the chance to put an L20B in ('78-'79 maybe) and happened to be from a 610or 710 I think. Anyway, the motor sat for the winter while I waited for better weather. I installed it in the spring and drove it for the summer but one evening as I was motoring along I stepped on the gas to go up an incline and the motor revved up and nothing happened. Previously I had had a stock 4 speed lock in forth so I thought something had broken inside. I pulled over and shut it off but when I tried to re-start the starter worked but the motor was not turning. I pushed it and jumped in, slammed into gear and let the clutch out... nothing. Somehow the flywheel was disconnected from the crank. I put in gear and let the clutch out and used the starter to pull the truck a couple of blocks off the road and went back the next day and towed it home. For a few minutes, I had the first electric powered 521 in the world.

I found that storing it for the winter has rusted the threads in the crankshaft flywheel mounting holes. When I torqued the bolts they tightened up too soon without actually gripping the flywheel and one by one sheared off.

Had this happen to me as well... a few months after i bought my truck back from the person i sold it to. He had a shop put a new clutch in shortly before i bought it from him. thank god i didnt have to oversize my crank holes. was able to replace with some other stock flywheel bolts. sounded like a motorcycle revving for a minute. also had to replace the clutch plate. didn't have the money at the time to replace the whole clutch plate, did some searching and was able to find an OEM clutch plate made with good old asbestos... 4 years later its still holding together and still the best gripping clutch ive ever had in it.

• 10 months later...

update!

after almost a year of procrastinating, i finally got to fixin the shitstang..

lets let the pictures do the talking

IMAG1254_zpsb45ab02d.jpg

IMAG1253_zpsb5fd06ef.jpg

IMAG1252_zps4d1b84a5.jpg

IMAG1251_zps295d326d.jpg

pretty fucking awesome right?!

well what else to do but to fix it.. but for now...

off to do some day time drinking... FML

update!

after almost a year of procrastinating, i finally got to fixin the shitstang..

lets let the pictures do the talking

IMAG1254_zpsb45ab02d.jpg

IMAG1253_zpsb5fd06ef.jpg

IMAG1252_zps4d1b84a5.jpg

IMAG1251_zps295d326d.jpg

pretty fucking awesome right?!

well what else to do but to fix it.. but for now...

off to do some day time drinking... FML

Nope, don't fix, save it as is and display on your garage wall as a trophy. That's what I do. At least the head, piston, and valve. I think the block is the only salvageable part there.

So I'm on the way to my new job crusing down 110 foot pegged in fifth gear. No idea how fast I'm going due to lack of speedometer but faster than the folsk around me. Trucks running like a champ as always. Get off the interstate and coast all the way to the walmart parking lot. Going to the garden section to fill out paperwork for my new job. I pull into a parking spot and shut her off. The engines winding down and all of a sudden WFDNV$N%)@RECF)*@#$NSDF)QNWRE)DASFD. And I'm like "The fuck was that?!" I turn the key and it start and runs like shit for a second then SADAFICEORVNSDO)TIH#$O)UISHDFVN#). "FUCK ME SIDEWAYS WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT NOISE!" I start it again FN@#))B)XASBNF STSS STSS. So here I am in the walmart parking lot about to have an anxiety attack. I'm thinking I'm blow something up. This is it, I'm going to have an anxiety attack. No money, now no wheels. I'm royally fucked. After a moment of despair and hopelessness I man the fuck up and pop the hood. I start the engine and run out to grab the throttle. It stays running, poorly. I let off the throttle and get the same SDAFNASDFOBNSDOF STTSS STSS *poop*. Sounds like it's coming from the carb area. I get my tools out of the back and take the bolts out of the breather, pull it off, and can't see anything out of the norm. I start it up and run out to grab the throttle. Turns out it was one of the EGR lines. The rubber cap had blown off and it was sucking air like a fish out of water. So I backed the truck out, picked up the cap, and ziptied the fucker back on :thumbup:

#scarynoises

So I'm on the way to my new job crusing down 110 foot pegged in fifth gear. No idea how fast I'm going due to lack of speedometer but faster than the folsk around me. Trucks running like a champ as always. Get off the interstate and coast all the way to the walmart parking lot. Going to the garden section to fill out paperwork for my new job. I pull into a parking spot and shut her off. The engines winding down and all of a sudden WFDNV$N%)@RECF)*@#$NSDF)QNWRE)DASFD. And I'm like "The fuck was that?!" I turn the key and it start and runs like shit for a second then SADAFICEORVNSDO)TIH#$O)UISHDFVN#). "FUCK ME SIDEWAYS WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT NOISE!" I start it again FN@#))B)XASBNF STSS STSS. So here I am in the walmart parking lot about to have an anxiety attack. I'm thinking I'm blow something up. This is it, I'm going to have an anxiety attack. No money, now no wheels. I'm royally fucked. After a moment of despair and hopelessness I man the fuck up and pop the hood. I start the engine and run out to grab the throttle. It stays running, poorly. I let off the throttle and get the same SDAFNASDFOBNSDOF STTSS STSS *poop*. Sounds like it's coming from the carb area. I get my tools out of the back and take the bolts out of the breather, pull it off, and can't see anything out of the norm. I start it up and run out to grab the throttle. Turns out it was one of the EGR lines. The rubber cap had blown off and it was sucking air like a fish out of water. So I backed the truck out, picked up the cap, and ziptied the fucker back on :thumbup:

#scarynoises

i wish everything was that simple to fix! come to think about it.. back when i still had my L24, it took a shit on me almost every other week during the daily commute, and it really was, that easy to get back on the road.  did you end up filling out the paper work or forget all about it and smashed out of the parking lot in joy that shit wasnt fucked?!

I had my carburetor sneezed in Moreno Valley. Not a big deal if it did not force shut the choke. This caused the car to stop and not to start while I lived 80 miles from home. I started to panic until I calmed the fucked down and found out what it was. Used a screwdriver and a hammer to force the jammed choke to open. Needed a new carb...