'60 Rambler

Daughter turned 14 and we decided to find something to build over the next year. It may end up with a L16 and a 5spd. We'll see...

In an odd turn of cosmic car karma...she named it Sunny. It's the same color as a '78 B210 I had a couple of years ago. There's no way she'd know that....

Sunny028.jpg

Sunny038.jpg

Sunny037.jpg

I'll try to post bit by bit. Pretty involved in sourcing parts and refreshing my L-head know-how.

Enjoy :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right on man glad she didnt want some cookie cutter modern car but be warned shes gonna attract alot of attention from guys with something like that ( i say that cause if there was a girl driving something like that when i was in highschool i would have gotten to know her lol)

• Like 1

At first I was skeptical about an L motor powering this, but after seeing what it weighs in relation to a 521 or 510, I think you are on to something excellent. Subscribed! :thumbup:

It's actually powered by an 'L' motor now. A 196 cu flathead.

Brakes first, maybe a little tinkering with the L-head to see what we've got. Then stuff probably needs to start coming completely apart.

Driven - That is really an amazing build. Not my first, second or twentieth choice for an engine, but there isn't much that will fit in here without chopping stuff up.

An L16 might be a bit low on grunt compared to an L20b (unless you already have the L16 laying around) . What are your plans for a rearend? Aren't those an enclosed driveline? I used a dodge dart rear on my '64 American. It was a bolt-in. I'd imagine that yours might be a little narrower though.

An L16 might be a bit low on grunt compared to an L20b (unless you already have the L16 laying around) . What are your plans for a rearend? Aren't those an enclosed driveline? I used a dodge dart rear on my '64 American. It was a bolt-in. I'd imagine that yours might be a little narrower though.

The American didn't have a Torque-Tube, next bigger body style did. Depends on what we do for motivation, I've got my eye on a Mustang II Cobra 5 bolt 8" right now.

Don't get carried away and try to recreate the V8 Rambler Rebel! It was a real sleeper.

It wasn't quite Hudson-like in ancient racing stature, but you're right. They were beasts in their day. We're not getting crazy with it, I don't quite have the skills or the money. It will be a 'fun' car, and a driver. Just PM'd a member about an L20/AT. We'll see where this goes....

The American didn't have a Torque-Tube, next bigger body style did.

Just PM'd a member about an L20/AT. We'll see where this goes....

Yep, The Classic~ Got a '61 Cross Country wagon waiting it's turn here for a heart/brain/leg transplant...

It could be more fun/not a dog(lower gears), and cruise real nice too, with an early '80's Maxima 4spd OD auto~

.7 overdrive.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

my brother has this in a wagon we irs the front for a small block anbd it sits about 2cm off ground ... its bagged ... i will lookfor a pic... told my wife the other night i was gonna build a 510 for our 3 year old daughter for school... she said or no your not...

i have to agree with bonvo.....its quite strange for me to believe, but I like the idea of her really liking the car....these days, they almos as for a fancy SUV. First things first, value the money and value work....after that, you can have whatever you want.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the comment. No progress to speak of,

I was laid off in March (when we bought the car), and just went back to work. Had to point our money towards more boing stuff like the mortgage, electricity and food. I've looked it over pretty good, and done a bit of tinkering, it's going to need a brake master, front driver's side drum, a fuel pump and a gas tank filler tube. I oredered some Corroseal for the interior floors, new points/condensor, and a new ignition switch. Turned it over with a remote starter switch, and checked compression. Looks like it should fire right up, but we'll see. There is a suspicious, new NOS head gasket in the trunk, and these flatheads can be monsters to get the head bolts out of...