1956 Chevy stock fenders or gasser ?

A dream project I am getting running soon (rat rod rusty) and has alltered rear fenders as was a drag racer in the day ,for slicks , I can't stand the fact they bent square tubeing and made nomad rear fenders ( I want to weld new stock openings back and install a tall geared disc. rear end) anyway my buddies like them more than me , the slick tire is just sitting in there.A little on the car - it has a 327,muncie m21 4spd,ladder bars and a crazy olds rear end ,I got it without race motor .I need help I am a sick person with too many cars !100_1789.jpg

• Like 10
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Drove like 5 miles and temp crept up to 210 then 215 so I came back to shop and removed radiator for a rod out today ,the rest is new, my fan came on at 190 ,will try and get a 170 thermo switch also , the rear diff is a bitch ,groans when turned tight ,and rear coilover shocks are also stiff ,rides like a truck, I am getting a Nova or stock rear end and selling big Ols posi 353 gears soon ! Muntzie also has 3rd gear syncro noise when shift s works fine ,light tires with current tires, I am taking to a car show at a Church 2-23-13 then cars and coffee in Irvine to hang with Ferrari's and GT40s the next weekend with my RUST never sleeps.

• Like 1
DSCF3185.jpgRadiator is back in after rod out for 50$ new battery and have been driving ,seems ok hope to get de-bugged by Sat.2-23-13 in a car show at a big church 300 cars and my rust never sleeps ,one guy has a 37 Chevy truck that a rustier driver than mine .Oic at 5:30 looking into sun at fire dept. across street from shop, still light up north !
  • 1 month later...

I could not take that shit for rear fenders so I bought some quarters and re-installing stock skirts ,so I guess I took a poll but the car is a keeper so I am doing it to my liking - back semi stock and rear end and stupid ladder bars are coming out for a Nova 10 bolt with same gears so I have matching bolt patern for my ARE tourque thruster wheels ,If want to see my fender install keep tuned in ! Thanks 104_1549.jpg[img=http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/104_1559-1.jpghttp://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/Alleycatgarage/104_1543.jpghttp://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/Alleycatgarage/104_1541.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to paint mine and make presentable for cars and coffee in Irvine ,Cali, maybe my friend will let me park next to his 58 red MB. gull wing from the Mercedes xmass commercial worth a mil. now ,anyway thanks for input ,but I can't stand the fenders as a bodyman they were funk ,I need a cool two tone nice paint job.,so I am getting ready to go stock and lower like 6" in rear 3" in front .I will post when I tack them on had more of 56 did not get loaded yet !,Like to see pics of your 56 2dr my buddy is looking for one now that mines running .104_1643.jpg

Mine is a 4 door goon. It's an old Air Force car that's been combined with another white goon. I 'inherited' it from my dad when he left my mom. It's been in the family since I was little and is what I first started wrenching on.

Here's the only decent pics I have right now.

0328091435-00.jpg

0328091435-01.jpg

0328091436-00.jpg

0328091437-01.jpg

0328091437-00.jpg

0328091438-01.jpg

I think once the red truck is gone I'll have a bit of time to go through it. It ran and drove when it was parked there. Needs a bit of maintenance and the fuel system cleaned out.

Lot's of good memories tied up in that thing :)

• Like 1

I would restore your 56 all stock , it seems all there ,  all wagon are super hot in So Cal,I painted this for a budy a couple months ago ,he put two scratches in it so it's coming back soon , for two panels to paint ,will be a little work had four clear coats ,two and then wait a week or more sand light and another two coats of clear to be sprayed ,so it has time under to shrink cure ect.

DSCF1192.jpgDSCF1187.jpg