Making my own camber plates!

Decided i have the resources and time (but no money to buy new ones) to make my own camber plates so i can go a bit lower in the front.

I made a wood template on the laser cutter today and will be cutting the metal ones monday on the waterjet.

heres a pic of what i have so far:

2012-03-02_14-51-45_704.jpg?t=1330729044

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or slot the mounting holes sideways so you can slide the plate side to side for more caster adjustment. I would make it so you offset the camber part a bit. Then make it so if you have the plates slid forward you are at stock caster, but rearwards gives you more.

Heres my first attempt, the cnc is broken so i cut them out on the plasma table, they wont work but they will allow me to design the second piece i need and figure out the best way to get caster adjustments out of them.

2012-03-06_13-31-30_275.jpg

Decided i have the resources and time (but no money to buy new ones) to make my own camber plates so i can go a bit lower in the front.

I made a wood template on the laser cutter today and will be cutting the metal ones monday on the waterjet.

Waterjet...and local! Do you do sidejobs?

2eDeYe' date='06 March 2012 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1331073445' post='648925']

Waterjet...and local! Do you do sidejobs?

No, unfortuneately the machines arent mine, and my access is limited to them! some are at my highschool shop but the big expensive machines (like the waterjet) are owned by a guy my dad knows.

For what there costing me so far (time and 10 bucks in hardware) i think im going to be able to make em work, but when i have them all together i dont think the bearing is working correctly, when i turn it sounds like the spring is binding then shooting back, ill post some pics later today when i get home.

Make me some homie!!!

I'll drive over from arlington to pick them up!!! :D

haha i wont lie my first set that im making are pretty ugly and jimmy rigged but im sure with trail and error ill have a nice set in the end...meybe

These are still just prototypes, problem solving and figuring out what will work best when i make the final ones. I havent measured degrees yet but they give me about an inch of total adjustment at the top of the tire

2012-03-09_11-16-41_147.jpg?t=1331321025

2012-03-09_11-16-49_319.jpg

2012-03-09_11-16-58_827.jpg

2012-03-09_11-17-04_169.jpg

• Like 1

Figured i would post a few more pics, still on the prototypes figuring all the little stuff out. The intall of the plates dropped the front of the car 3/4" and hopefully you can tell from the pics it gave me alot of camber adjustment. next step new wheels and smaller tires!

2012-03-09_15-15-38_999.jpg

2012-03-09_15-15-29_351.jpg?t=1331493676

2012-03-11_12-15-11_849.jpg?t=1331493682

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I used the stock piece that the spring goes into that the bearing sits on, and the lower portion of the camber plates rests on the bearing and turns freely.

However its not ideal because water, dirt, and dust can all get into the bearing, so ill be addressing that soon enough

How did you seal the bare metal fenders to stop rust???

Well... After all the bondo and paint was removed I used this rust preventative clearcoat i found at a local hardware store, (pretty sure its just normal clear) put a couple coats of that on, that was just to mainly protect it for awhile, i need a new front fender, and the rear needs a lot more metal work before it can be painted.

But considering i went from the pictures below to pics above i decided to rock the bare metal for ahwile:

wreck1.jpg

wreck2.jpg

wreck3.jpg