Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI:

202-4702 - UK CA18DET Head Stud Kit (4 port head)
202-4302 - US/JDM CA18DE(T) Head Stud Kit (8 port head with butterflies)

I bought 202-4702.. which is the wrong head stud kit. I have another ARP kit from another engine I took apart, however, I will be using stock bolts and copper spraying the new head gasket. I got it today. Going to do a quick gym session and get to it! I won't finish tonight but I will do my best to get it done tomorrow AM. I'll let you all know how it goes!!!!

Wish me luck!!!!

Anybody local to Orange County have an electric impact gun I can borrow to loosen my crank pulley bolt?

I'm fucking stuck.

Edit: Nevermind, I'll just walk to home depot and buy one. It's only a couple miles and I like exercise.

Home Depot usually has a tool rental department. 

I'm redoing my girlfriend's whole front end with a mustang II IRS kit, coilovers, new rack and pinion, all disc brakes, etc so I'm sure I can find a good use for it. I bought an impact gun and an EZ out since a bolt broke off in my turbo's exhaust housing. I guess those bolts aren't hardened. SMH. 

Back to the grind. I still have 3 hours :) might as well make the best of it!

I got the head off, measured ARP studs vs the OEM bolts. Both sets of ARPs didn't have the same length of thread. The OEMs go about 1mm deeper than both sets of ARPs. I guess I found my problem :)

I copper sprayed the head gasket with 3 coats on each side and installed the head and bolts. I only snugged them down since I don't have a socket for my torque wrench that has a hex head. Gotta go pick one up, but I'm not too worried about that. I got all the hard work done. Now I can clean up and take my nephew to the beach with peace of mind knowing that when I come home I can finish my car and should be able to drive it without puking oil every time.

I have to say, I'm actually excited now. I haven't been excited about my car in a while because I couldn't figure out that problem. Wish me luck anyway though, LOL, I don't like the count my chickens before they hatch... let's hope that's the only problem!

To be honest, and I should know this, I'm not sure. I need to buy a good micrometer and a machinist's straight edge at some point but I'm super tight on cash right now. It could have been decked more than once as well. I never got an opportunity to put the rest of the car together last night, but I'm going to do it when I get home tonight. We ended up taking my nephew to the beach and i didn't get home until like 9:45.... at which point i promptly went unconcious LOL.

I got the car together and running. I let it run with an open downpipe to see how it sounded. It's quieter than with my exhaust, HA... I guess that 4" tip + resonator makes a big difference. I did notice it takes away some of the turbo whistle you only get with a straight pipe or shorter exhaust, which is a bummer but i REALLY like the way it sounds with this exhaust.

Anyway, I'm putting the exhaust on and I'm gonna do the heat cycle and then test drive it a bit. I'll update in a bit when I have an idea of whether this is going to work. It's not leaking so far, so I'm probably going to take it for a drive somewhere for about 20 minutes.

Yay good news, it wasn't the pan. There was a bunch of dark fluid running off the pan. Once I jacked it up it was just really wet with something but it wasn't oil. I cleaned everything and ran it for about 20 minutes with no leaking from the HG or pan. IDK where that came from but i don't think it was even from my car.... I'll keep looking until I figure out an explanation though.

Looks like either the thermostat housing or water pump was leaking. Because it's 150+ degree water, it was cleaning the oil and crap off the engine and running down off the oil pan. After I finish folding laundry I'm going to go take a look and let it run until it starts leaking so I can see what exactly is leaking. EASY FIX. SUPER STOKED.

• Like 1

thanks guys! At some point this week I'll be able to tighten up some bolts and then it should be good. As soon as that happens it's going directly to Erich. Yay! I had the opportunity to smooth out some of the fuel cells so it runs even better. 10 psi doesn't feel like a dog anymore. I'm going to wait to do a full tune for the other turbo still, but I can still get the IC piping done. That should make it faster, more fuel efficient, and spool quicker too. Exciting times my friends, exciting times.

Hose 2b in the first picture in this thread is where my coolant is coming from. It's something I can't fix tonight unfortunately. I've been short on time lately, but I'll be doing it this week for sure. I guess I don't have much motivation because they tore up the street in front of my house, so there is an 8" drop and it's coned off in front of my driveway. Even if I fix it, I can't get it out to drive, LOL.

http://www.driftopia.com/2007/11/14/ca18det-coolant-mod-number-2-from-10-lines-to-1/