First time going to a Pick N Pull

I've never been to a wrecking yard before, and I just had a few questions.

How much is the admission fee? It would really suck to go there and pay a few, just to find out they don't have anything I need.

Are you allowed to carry toolboxes into the yard? I've read that some don't allow toolboxes. What would I carry my tools in, a bag or on my belt?

That's pretty much it. A 1973 Datsun 620 showed up in the Dallas West location on the 9th. To top it off, this weekend is a 1/3rd off sale, so I figured I'd go check it out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to a wrecking yard before, and I just had a few questions.

How much is the admission fee? It would really suck to go there and pay a few, just to find out they don't have anything I need.

Are you allowed to carry toolboxes into the yard? I've read that some don't allow toolboxes. What would I carry my tools in, a bag or on my belt?

That's pretty much it. A 1973 Datsun 620 showed up in the Dallas West location on the 9th. To top it off, this weekend is a 1/3rd off sale, so I figured I'd go check it out.

The short answer is to call the yard and ask those questions. Ask them if they have any 620s in the yard. It can be a lot of fun!! You should be able to bring your own tools, I have never been to a u-pullit where they lend out tools, however you will need to ask the specific policy of the JY you are planning on going to.

It's a Pick-N-Pull, so I figured someone could at least give me an idea of what the admission fee is.

I'm just going to drive over in the morning and I'll figure it out when I get there.

Hoping I find a stock Tach. :P

It's a Pick-N-Pull, so I figured someone could at least give me an idea of what the admission fee is.

I'm just going to drive over in the morning and I'll figure it out when I get there.

$2-$5 entry fee usually....but that covers "pocket parts" ;-)

2 bucks to get in. Check inventory and part prices online. Not likely to find a stock tach, but good luck :D I've been thoroughly enjoying the 1/3 off sale this week. Get signed up for the toolkits rewards program when you go. That sale has been on since wednesday for cardholders. They usually start the %50 off sales a day early for members. And they've got stuff like double rewards points days. It's a slick program, and it's free. Make sure any free parts are in your pockets, not your toolbox.

you car check car inventory on there website so you know if they have your car and how long its been there.

http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx

That is what I always do. Make sure to write down the row number.

PnP here is $2 admission. Tools allowed.

I have a JY here in town that will let you go into the yard to inspect the part, but the staff pulls the parts. They only have 90 and newer though.

Admission is $2.00 here in washington state, and as far as I know, they all let you bring in your tool box, but they want to search it to make sure your not stealing parts going out/leaving. Nothing is free, unless they give it to you, how would you feel getting caught trying to steal something, personally it would be embarrassing to me getting caught, so I just don't do it.

Around here, they don't allow anything in that makes sparks, so if you need corner panels, your going to have to remove them some other way.

Well $2 is very reasonable. For some reason I was expecting it to be 10 or something.

I can't really think of Anything I'd want that would fit in my pockets. Well nvm, a spare speedo gear would be pretty nifty since you can't find the 16 tooth ones anywhere.

Sometimes they don't know what they have out there, usually because of the year, as one guy posted lately, they had a late datsun roadster(68-70) labeled as a 510 in the inventory.

The older it is, the less they seem to know, but I am not judging them, as I know shit about the newer stuff, it all looks the same to me.

the place i go to is free to come there to look around, and they encourage you to bring tools so you pull it cause usually they dont like to loan tools

... but i am in oregon so it might be different

shit i go ther sometimes just to kills some time and see if anything new came in cause i have been through there so many times

Sometimes they don't know what they have out there, usually because of the year, as one guy posted lately, they had a late datsun roadster(68-70) labeled as a 510 in the inventory.

The older it is, the less they seem to know, but I am not judging them, as I know shit about the newer stuff, it all looks the same to me.

You'd think they could at least read a vin plate or something. :unsure:

Pretty excited. Are there any other rare/hard to find parts that I should look out for? I know the tach's and clocks are somewhat sought after.

the place i go to is free to come there to look around, and they encourage you to bring tools so you pull it cause usually they dont like to loan tools

... but i am in oregon so it might be different

shit i go ther sometimes just to kills some time and see if anything new came in cause i have been through there so many times

LOL, I went to two different picknpulls today on my lunchbreak. Left all clean and professional lookin, and clocked back on all greasy and muddy. I worked in a wrecking yard for a couple years pulling parts all day everday. I fuckin loved that job but the pay was shit! $10 an hour :( The junkyard atmosphere just does something for me. Tody I got me a sporty B210 steering wheel, some marker lenses and trim, and a 5spd. Tomorrow... Who knows :D

Fit all the old oem nissan/datsun bolts you can into your pockets without them making hella noise... so worth it when you need a random bolt (oem bolts always work better than hardware store crap!)

You are buying the wrong bolts then... Always buy high grade bolts I find.