Rusty cars with bad paint dont deserve plates

u know whats funny is the dude that can afford a 57 nomad and a 69 chevelle and to restore them, hes the one that should be able to afford the tabs yearly as apposssed to us working folks that have to drive our shit as we work on it....cause we are to busy paying things like rent and house payments and dont have heated garage....its so convoluted that yes i have collector plates on all my datsuns and will teill the state revokes them from my greedy hand...

i was once told that since i was hauling brush to the dump in my 521 with collectors plate...your gonna get in big trouble for that...i said what, its says for occasional use and its either to hit up a ratsun cruise or haul crap to the dump that wont scratch my exterior...or one day when i dontfeel like driving my mazda or tahoe...so yeah its being used according to the law... i also ws told a collectors plate is to be used only when its for others enjoyment.... well every f ing gast station i stop at everyone wants to talk about my datto and how they had one or a family member growing up....

we shouldnt get all rilled up ... its some news mic jockey using some situation to try and climb the rungs of news maggotdom....he doesnt really care about the issue or understand it he just think hes unearthing his next promotion

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

u know whats funny is the dude that can afford a 57 nomad and a 69 chevelle and to restore them, hes the one that should be able to afford the tabs yearly as apposssed to us working folks that have to drive our shit as we work on it....cause we are to busy paying things like rent and house payments and dont have heated garage....its so convoluted that yes i have collector plates on all my datsuns and will teill the state revokes them from my greedy hand...

i was once told that since i was hauling brush to the dump in my 521 with collectors plate...your gonna get in big trouble for that...i said what, its says for occasional use and its either to hit up a ratsun cruise or haul crap to the dump that wont scratch my exterior...or one day when i dontfeel like driving my mazda or tahoe...so yeah its being used according to the law... i also ws told a collectors plate is to be used only when its for others enjoyment.... well every f ing gast station i stop at everyone wants to talk about my datto and how they had one or a family member growing up....

we shouldnt get all rilled up ... its some news mic jockey using some situation to try and climb the rungs of news maggotdom....he doesnt really care about the issue or understand it he just think hes unearthing his next promotion

The law specifically states, word for word "For the pleasure of others without compensation." You said essentially what I did; people LOVE seeing these old vehicles actually being driven and USED! I get looks and waves and thumbs up all the time. If I'm out cruising on my way to work, and I open up the throttle a little, I make a post here about it, and you all get pleasure from knowing she's running to heartily. It's not our fault the law makers refused to be more specific about it.. then again, maybe they were specific exactly the way they wanted to be.

Anyways, every time I drive my car I'm testing it. I am constantly making changes to the fuel and timing maps. If it just so happens some of that testing occurs on my way to my regular job, so be it. There is nothing in the law that states that "What it can not be used for" trumps "What is can be used for." And the way the requirements and limitations are laid out, 'Can' is above 'Can Not' in the order, it's arguable that more emphasis is being placed on what constitutes collector use, since the limitations are mentioned as an after thought at the very end of the page/list.

More over, every where is it parked, it becomes a display.

As for "Commercial purpose or to carry a load".. well, that sentence is apparently referring to commercially carrying a load, otherwise they should have made it a bullet point if they didn't want "carry a load" being modified by the "commercial purpose" segment of the sentence.

And someone please tell me exactly what defines "regular transportation". That is a vague statement, and I believe vague statements in laws invalidate the line item.

Vehicle requirements

To use collector plates, vehicles must be:

More than 30 years old.

Capable of operating on the highway.

Owned and operated as collector vehicles.

Collector vehicles may be driven:

To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.

For testing purposes.

For the pleasure of others without compensation.

Collector vehicles may not be used for:

Commercial purposes or to carry a load.

Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

yeah i was so pissed after page one that i skipped page two ....i went back and seen we had the same point..

i look at the law like a relationship.... its a understanding with stipulations that always benefit her or in this case the govt....

i say we rally datto style down here in my hometown at the capital if these jerks wanna try and take away our rights or catagorize or cars for us....

i guess its no diffeent then the dol trying to place a value on my trade unless i get a afidavit saying it realy is not running and only worth 250....

i wish, i, as a business owner, i could just make shit up as i go and still be successful...its ridiculous... reminds me of that insurance commercial with the loaded bike they give away but then she gets another one thas a piece...its always a bait and switch

The fact that the news station followed them to Target, video taped their plate number without blocking it out, and said the beetle wasn't a classic car because of bad paint and bondo really pisses me off. You can determine the definition of a classic car several ways, I've been threw this before. I was told my 63 Mercury Meteor wagon wasn't a classic, just an old car: - - He said a classic car is a car that is real sought after, a really popular car. In Michigan you can get a historic plate if your car is 26yrs or older. It still has to be insured and you have to pay for the plate. I don't have classic plates on my car(s), just regular plates and regular insurance. It seems to really bother the officers that see me roll by every day knowing they cant do nothing to me, because when I get stopped, they try to stick everything possible to me.

I forgot to add that if someone owns that many valuable cars, he don't need a break on plates. For one thing he already has a shitload of money. If he was really worried about it, file for a dealership plate. You'd get one plate, insure the plate, stick it one what ever car you want to drive that day.

here there are to many rules, and tattle talers to even think of going with the "collector" plate we have in BC.

Government run insurance/liscencing/yada yada :lol: :blink:

Back in the 70s insurance companies leaned on automobile manufactures to avoid using shapes that are hard to repair, like the nose on my 1974 Datsun 620. Things got pretty boxy by the 80s, and style was starting to suffer too. Insurance companies offer "collector car" insurance, but with a lot of restrictions (not primary transortation, locked in a garage, restricted milage and use, etc.). The market wanted them to offer this, and they are offering it on condition. Insurance compainies are powerful in this country, I bet they are the ones driving this stuff <grumble, grumble>.

Classic plates have their place and are a pretty good idea if used as intended. Some old cat with a model T who uses it for shows, parades and other events but not a daily driver. Some figured out that you could skip the smog and got them for that. But, you are limited to how much you can drive it and once assigned you can not switch back to regular plates, or so I was told.

Well, I also have a 1926 Ford T (4 door sedan) so I guess you've described me? Yeah, I'm into cars. Big Time.

This thing has wood spoke wheels, and only rear wheel brakes. It's not something I want to drive on the hiway.

My car has sat in a show next to several freshly restored Model Ts, and you know what ...

more folks are drawn to mine with the orignal paint and pinstripe than the restored cars!

Sure it has surrface rust and pitted nickel (it was before Ford used chrome), but it's REAL and I like it this way.

If the government didn't want to plate my old Ford, I say screw them ... I'll drive it anyway, and they can ticket me.

Back in the 70s insurance companies leaned on automobile manufactures to avoid using shapes that are hard to repair, like the nose on my 1974 Datsun 620. Things got pretty boxy by the 80s, and style was starting to suffer too. Insurance companies offer "collector car" insurance, but with a lot of restrictions (not primary transortation, locked in a garage, restricted milage and use, etc.). The market wanted them to offer this, and they are offering it on condition. Insurance compainies are powerful in this country, I bet they are the ones driving this stuff <grumble, grumble>.

Well, I also have a 1926 Ford T (4 door sedan) so I guess you've described me? Yeah, I'm into cars. Big Time.

This thing has wood spoke wheels, and only rear wheel brakes. It's not something I want to drive on the hiway.

My car has sat in a show next to several freshly restored Model Ts, and you know what ...

more folks are drawn to mine with the orignal paint and pinstripe than the restored cars!

Sure it has surrface rust and pitted nickel (it was before Ford used chrome), but it's REAL and I like it this way.

If the government didn't want to plate my old Ford, I say screw them ... I'll drive it anyway, and they can ticket me.

I saw a model T once on the side of the road with the hood popped up in a car behind it with hazards on, I gave the dude a thumbs up cause he was driving that shit not trailering it.

I know you guys will bash me for this. But that bug is a piece of shit.... And as far as I know a classic bug is 67 and older. Shit when I was into bugs back in the 70's no one wanted a 68 it had big ass ugly bumpers.

I have historic plates for my wagon. I don't drive it every day but I do drive it to the store once in a while.

And why all the hate for Calif.? That shit was up in the gloomy ass north west. Fuckin rain must be water boarding your ass. :lol:

• Like 1

You have got to be fucking kidding me. :rolleyes:

Two totally different things - The CHP "Cheaters" website is about people not registering

their vehicles in California,while being a California resident,while the KIRO story is about abusing

license plate fees- two different items.

I hate to see that people move here to California,taking jobs that could employ local people,

but refuse to register their vehicles here.

I had a '60 Chevy 1 ton panel truck that cost me $167 last year (for 1 year's registation),&

I see people paying 1/3 (or less) that for their newer cars.Is that not wrong?

I'm paying $70 - $90 for my old cars - why should they get off cheaper?

I also agree that the person who has multiple pristene "collector cars" should not be put up as an example

of what the law should be interpeted by.

- Doug