1963 WP312 - UPDATE MAY

Datsun test: ... .. did you see the 510 first? ..... or the kid with a pasafire??? ....... :lol:

I guess i failed too... sort of... I was busy looking at the hub caps. They are missing in the first picture, my guess is that isn't a kid, it's the midget that stole the hub caps and is disguised as a kid with a pasafire.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a chance to work on the suspension a bit today. Black wheels are 15's with 195-50's. Really fill out the fenders nicely, but may be a bit too wide. Pulled the front springs, which is shown as it is sitting on the bump stops. Initial thought was to fabricate the spring perches. Ended up cutting the springs. Not sure what this will yield us until next weekend. May still fabricate the perches. Rear will be a 2" block in the back with the elimination of the helper leaf. Engine mount installed and turned out to fit perfectly. Added a few new stickers.

Since I have a few wheel and tire options, I need to decide between the following:

13x4.5 Steelies with 155-80-13 white walls, and baby moons- $$$$

13x4.5 Steelies with 155-80-13's black walls, and baby moons - 150.00 for a set of new ones - $

13x5 Libres with 185-70-13's - would need to purchase the tires, have Libres - $

15x6 Black wheels with 195-50-15's - no expense, but need to roll the fenders

Datsun312-A1.jpg

Datsun312-B.jpg

Datsun312-A.jpg

Datsun312-D.jpg

Datsun312-A2.jpg

Datsun312-C.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

libres would look ok but stockers with wide whites would look even better

I have to agree with you that the whites would be the combination. Now I have to save some pennies and start selling some stuff. We found a set of steelies that are 13x6 that I am going to powder coat. Need to turn the front hubs a bit.

Currently working on the suspension that is requiring some modification to get the correct drop. Looking like 2 inches in the rear when all said and done. This required us to shave a bit off the rear lowering blocks. The front has not been put back together yet.

Interior still in the works and should be done by month's end.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - Not too much progress as of late, but have several hours scheduled on Friday to get it back in shape.

SUSPENSION -

Have the rear suspension parts machined and ready to install.

Front will be trial and error to get correct height. Springs cut, but may need to cut more.

INTERIOR -

Seats should be complete and Interior panels soon.

POR15 interior floors soon.

ENGINE -

Need to get exhaust gasket made. Haven't decided on side or rear exit exhaust.

Need Carb return springs

WHEELS / TIRES -

New tires and rims to be mounted Friday. Pics should be available then for the surprise. I think they are going to be sweet.

EXTERIOR -

Thinking about stripping the stickers/decals along with removing the surf graphics. TBD as they were painted on prior to the clearcoat.

Datsun312-April20122-1.jpg

Datsun312-April2012.jpg

Was able to get quite a bit done today. Suspension back in place, but not sure if we are going to drop a bit more. Maybe another 1/2 to 3/4 of inch. Wheels and tires in place. Let the work continue.

312Update.jpg

312Update2.jpg

312Update3.jpg

312Update4.jpg

Looking nice!

Can you share your tire purchase info on these whitewalls?

I wanted this rig when in Dallas on CL, but have too many in turnaround.

My old new 312 has quite the same "natural" patina as does my '62 320 truck. On the truck, I am trying to come up with a way to stop some rust holes and paint over the mend to match the aged patina (which I call Carribean Blue). I need to read up on the technique used on your wagon. No clear coat for me. Will probably have to visit a craft shop for antiqueing, whatever. Interested if you have any pics or ideas on original upholstery-brochures whatever. My 312 was/is red and white patterened.

Also, I will have to patch rear floor rust holes of a a fair size - looking for a resource to help me on that as not a welder - anybody knowing of a good source in the Houston Austin are for that type of body work for realistic prices - a share of contact is appreciated.

Looking nice!

Can you share your tire purchase info on these whitewalls?

I wanted this rig when in Dallas on CL, but have too many in turnaround.

My old new 312 has quite the same "natural" patina as does my '62 320 truck. On the truck, I am trying to come up with a way to stop some rust holes and paint over the mend to match the aged patina (which I call Carribean Blue). I need to read up on the technique used on your wagon. No clear coat for me. Will probably have to visit a craft shop for antiqueing, whatever. Interested if you have any pics or ideas on original upholstery-brochures whatever. My 312 was/is red and white patterened.

Also, I will have to patch rear floor rust holes of a a fair size - looking for a resource to help me on that as not a welder - anybody knowing of a good source in the Houston Austin are for that type of body work for realistic prices - a share of contact is appreciated.

Thanks sadie10023. The whitewalls are Portawalls and you can get them from Mooneyes for about $70.00. If you want real whitewalls, they run about $200 a piece. I went this route as I was able to get a new set of Bridgestones and the Portawalls for a small fraction of that.

I can't tell you about the paint as one of the previous owners down in your area did the patina paint. I haven't been able to locate any pictures of it prior to him painting it. I wish I could because the rust is so limited. The two rockers have through holes and that is the extent of the major rust. You may want to look up James King who is a VW bus guy that actually did the paint scheme on mine. He is a member here.

Regarding the upholstery, mine is going back to original, which is a two-tone tan and maroon.

Love to see some pics of your 312. I know there is some sedans out there, but haven't had the chance to see any 312 wagons.

The orange rims are actually off a 510. We are not sure about these as they are 13x6 vs the 13x4.5 that were on the car. These worked out much better as the moons don't stick out as far as shown in a previous picture with them on the stock red rims. We did have to turn down the hubs slightly to get them to fit. The Portawalls are a bit of a challenge. Proper fitment is difficult on the radials. We are still working on this. That is interesting about the possibility regarding the Chevy wheels. That may open up other size options.

• 3 weeks later...

The Datsun is finally home. Here is a few more pics of the progress. Waiting for seats to be completed. Each week they tell me they will be done the following week. Exhaust back on. Brake line replaced.

To Do List:

Headliner

Seats

Door Panels

Headlights and Brake Lights not working

SR20DET :rofl:

DATSUN312-HOME.jpg

DATSUN312-HOME2.jpg

DATSUN312-HOME3.jpg

A bit of POR15 done.

DATSUN312-HOME4.jpg

A bit more POR15.

DATSUN312-HOME7.jpg

Maybe we should try and get this to fit under the hood. :thumbup:

This gives you a bit of a comparison as it is sitting next to the 4 door VW Golf TDI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...