Old Orange is finally getting some love

Rays74

After waiting it's turn sitting patiently through many a season my '74 is finally getting some much deserved attention. This last week I've replaced it's head ( a W53 closed chamber with a W53 OPEN chamber because the peanut head was suffering from two sinking intake valve seats......bummer), rebuilt a new DCH340 Hitachi carb from a big box o bits from Ol' Yeller's amazing stash of parts and did some reg maint. It's back running better than ever now, before it had an off idle stumble that I knew was a carb issue but never address it fully. With the exception of a EI dizzy, the W53 head and de-smogging of it ( L16 Y - type ex manifold ) the L18 is stone stock.

As I was cleaning up late today I took a quick swipe at the oxidized orig paint with some stuff called Nu Finish I'm sure 'Yeller gave to me some time back.......wow it cut right through the flat paint into the nice shiny stuff underneath with almost no work.......I like! LOL

100_9562.jpg

100_9569.jpg

100_9567.jpg

100_9572.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah pics will be coming on a daily basis now, specially when the other SWDP members see that I'm FINALLY working on it :D

Gonna really hit that paint work the next couple days, I see a shiny orange 620 in my future for this weekend! LOL

Thanks for the kudos....

--Ray

The Nu Finish is still workin well :D

haha....I was screwing around taking pics and bumped the table where the OPEN bottle of NF was and I watched it topple over the side and land upside down in one of my carburetor parts boxes!! Aw man, c'mon!!! LMAO Gotta show pics of the f'ups too ya know :D :P

Interior needs a good scrubbing and some time with a vacuum......next.

--Ray

100_9579.jpg

100_9582.jpg

100_9584.jpg

100_9587.jpg

100_9589.jpg

100_9590.jpg

100_9591.jpg

100_9593.jpg

Thats lookin really good. Nice lookin interior too:) You got the nice black mat. Looks like your pass. side hood hinge is popping up. Pull off the wiper cowl & you can see that it has prolly broke loose from the top. My buddy Greg just welded mine back. Some nice clean stockers with white walls would look super with that orange:)

Hi Mark :D yep fInAlLy doing some much needed maint and repair, now I can fly my SWDP plaque with pride ;) :lol: Ol Yeller (dad, :)) has been on me about it for quite a while to get her back on the road.

Yeah Doug, that hood hinge has been a trouble spot that will have it's turn real soon here. Either try and straighten the orig cowl OR just replace.

thanks!

--Ray

OK so this morning curiosity got the better of me and I had to do a compression test........as much to see the variances between cyl and see just what overall comp ratio the open chamber W53 is giving. The lower end is completely original with a little over 111,000 on it.

Cyl 1 ....... 155

Cyl 2 ....... 145

Cyl 3 ....... 155

Cyl 4 ....... 155 :)

Well, was I pleasantly pleased with that tight group! Awesome, that was dry and at temp, next I did a "wet" test on them and everybody increased by no more than 10lbs....also a very good sign :D.

--Ray

OK so this morning curiosity got the better of me and I had to do a compression test........as much to see the variances between cyl and see just what overall comp ratio the open chamber W53 is giving. The lower end is completely original with a little over 111,000 on it.

Cyl 1 ....... 155

Cyl 2 ....... 145

Cyl 3 ....... 155

Cyl 4 ....... 155 :)

Well, was I pleasantly pleased with that tight group! Awesome, that was dry and at temp, next I did a "wet" test on them and everybody increased by no more than 10lbs....also a very good sign :D.

--Ray

All of you need to know just how hard Ray has worked on that truck..How much he has wanted to get to it..I have had him helping me with my own projects for the better part of the last year or more..(oh and there will be photos of a very clean/STOCK lil 72 620(white) that we have just finished workin on mechanically )(Paint is later)..anyway, just a shout out to ya Ray...Way ta go Dude...

These are jus a coupla pictures of the 72 620 Ray has been workin on with me.

Actually he has done 90% of the work..wanted yu to see the before an after Motor

pics..more photos at another time..Think I'll start a new thread bout it..

Thanks Ray!!!!

100_0412.jpg

0729111132.jpg

100_7136.jpg

100_7131.jpg

Thanks Mark, yep that's the plan.......hopin' to have all three there!

Appreciate the kind words as well, I am pretty lucky to be able to work on these great projects with Dad :)

SWDP!!

--Ray

JCCS11.jpg

Well I really wanted to do something with the decaying white wagon wheels, the powder coating has really begun to peel up and it seems the rust monster is building momentum on the steel itself. Went over to 'Ol Yeller's house yesterday to watch the big game and cruise through his pile of wheels and tires for replacements. I decided on a set of older chrome wagon's with LT Dunlops he had but upon bolting them up, I'm not happy with their width/offset. He does have a set of slot mags but they too are as wide or wider unfortunately :angry:

I am gonna have to just suck it up and live with dirty/rusty wheels for a while until finances allow other options <_<

--Ray

How bout a set of stocks for now until ypu can get yours stripped / repainted ?

Mark, a set of stockers wud look good in my opinion...anyone here got anything like that layn round(we need local So Cal if possible)...oh man I just remembered I think some where I have a new/nearly new set of STOCK hubcaps as well...hmmmmm

Yeah not a real big deal, thanks for the ideas though :) At least it's running and driveable now........well that is after I visit those pirates at the DMV to take it off of non-op..LOL. free-character-smileys-221.gif