Just completely lost?!?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be psychic, because he hasn't even said what the problem is yet. Flat-tops are good carbs but you need to know the adjustment process. The mightly L18 SSS used them.

J, I sent you a text message. If you are serious about getting it going, contact me. I'm available tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

Ya, take those flat tops throw them as far away from you as you can.

I know who to drunk dial tonight though :fu:

Flat top SU's, there's you're problem. I never could get mine to run right. Ultimately I sold them off, and that prompted me to do an EFI swap. I'd ditch the flat tops, even if it's just to throw a Weber on there.

Haha! Yeh, but Z-Therapy is also going to tell him to ditch the flat tops!

Flattops.jpg

Infamous Z car flattops. Square air inlets and floats on the bottom

The bad reputation for the flattop Hitachi SUs is well earned, but only on the 46mm ones used on the Z car. These were heavily smogged and barely worked when new. A nightmare to fix and adjust. They were introduced to try and meet the new emission standards around '73-'74. Earlier domed ones are just fine. Nissan eventually had to switch to EFI in '75. The Z car SUs are too big for 4 cylinder motors anyway. The Z car SUs use 4 mounting bolts to the intake. The smaller 38mm SUs have only 2.

There is nothing wrong with the 38mm Hitachi flattop SUs . They never came to N Am in the first place so they did not have to pass emission. Yes they do have some emissions plumbing on them but easily removed. Other than the 'flattop' they are almost identical in design and function with the 'dome' top ones. These are perfectly sized for the smaller 4 cylinder motors.

Here are my SSS16/18 SU flattops, not de-smogged yet.

710carbs004Large.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, you seem to be one of the few people that has time to share some knowledge and not criticize. As it was said earlier it is an l18 and I'm not sure as to what I have as the seller just seemed to want to turn out the car. As I said before the car has been sitting on blocks for months while I try to get it going. Once it's on the road I will start looking to upgrade, replace and fully restore it.

The last guy who came over to help and said 'it's easy as hell and not a problem' who's a close family friend came over popped the hood, drank a 6 pack in an hour and then took of to take care of his nagging girlfriend. Didn't even touch the engine or give me a direction to go in.

So i am completely lost and would just like to get it on the road.