Dreaming of the glory days.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break, I saw Yes at Hampton Rhodes Coliseum in '73 and the played the whole Close to the Edge record.

I saw Pink Floyd with Tower of Power and Cold Blood at a place called Pepperland in San Rafael, Ca. circa 1970. They had the first and maybe only quadrasonic bi-amped sound system.

I saw Jethro Tull and ELP at the Berkley Community Theater about '71.

Let's get seventh grade... I'l stack up one Mike Bloomfield clip for all your English second wave bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viXUI6mjj00

I came so fucking close to talking my parents into letting me go to Monterey Pop, but at the last minute my Mom had a fit. One of the big regrets of my life. I saw Electric Flag later in the year when they had the Human-Be-In in Golden Gat Park. Have you ever heard of Hippies... well that is where they came from, right over there on Haight Street. My girlfriend's older brother tended bar over there and a guy named Jann Wenner used to come in every afternoon and drink. He was the worlds oldest paper boy, used to hawk Rolling Stone for fifty cents on the street. They told me about the hippies. Check out the cat playing tenor it's 20 year old David Sanborn!

So I failing to understand your point... unless it's hey Figbuck I drank the corporate kool-aid and look what I think is hip.

After about '74 or '75 all this stuff was boring. All rock, pop, commercial, punk what ever... boring. But I'm glad you like that stuff, it actually was hip back then. But you are looking and listening with 2012 ears... when this stuff was new and I heard it with 1973 ears... this was some happening stuff.

But it wasn't everything that was going on by a looong shot, 2 words Miles Davis.

There is just so much new music happening now it is crazy. Why are we even talking about this stuff. I did have a little flight of nostalgia listening to those clips. I wore the vinyl discs out and moved on. But see, I'm thinking from my perspective because I lived through this and tripped my brains out listening to these guys live. This is like collecting antiques. Sturdy, classic, solid, old.

I have moved on. There is too much good stuff going on right now.

I'm a student of music and I always will be. I was a fan before I was a player. I can totally see a young person stumbling on any kind of old YouTube clips like these and tripping on it. I was tripping on some Dexter Gordon clips from '65 and some Louis Jordan from the '50s that I dug the shit out of. This stuff is not cool. Rock is cool, this was hip. In fact its was so hip it was Hep.

I saw these guys a couple times in their prime. It ruined me for metal and commercial crap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_QXzLV4BkM&feature=related

There are tons of McLaughlin clips, I just picked one. I saw Cobbham a bunch of times with different bands and I'm here to tell you he fucking burns, I will buy tickets and stand in like to see him practice single stroke rolls!!

OK, just checking. sometimes the words just sit there in black and white.

There is twice the music... no ten time the music, that nobody ever heard, than stuff people have heard.

I'm constantly following threads backwards in every direction to get to the roots of the music. I have been tripping on guitar players a little recently. I got to see Joe Pass and Joe play with Herb Ellis, and later Joe with Oscar Peterson and Ray Brown, Joe with Ella, and much later the Joe Pass/Joe Pisano Duo and quartet. He was such a funky cat. Then around him and before him were cats like Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery, Howard Roberts, Johnny Smith, Tal Farlow, Bucky Pizzarelli and so on, so on. These were the guys that people like Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore and James Burton were listening too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-1sq5dFD4

I read an interview with Jaco Pastorius and he said it took him eight years to learn Bird's Donna Lee. It only took me 12 years to memorize the changes and I still can't play it that fast! Speaking of Jaco...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03KIfxaS1AA&feature=related

I saw Weather Roport three times with Jaco. The last time I saw WR was with Victor Bailey at a place in San Jose called the Saddle Rack! A country swing dancing barn... they fucking killed it.

In the early '70s there was a dive bar in the lower haight... can't for the life of me remember. One of my friends was telling me about this keyboard player he saw with Frank Zappa named George Duke. I say, you know I saw this thing in Bay Area Musician (BAM) about him playing piano in this bar. So we went to check it out.... Holy fuck. After that I saw the Clarke/Duke Project when the School Days recored came out. What can you say about Cobbham?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ikhatPxNE

And then there is Lenny White. I would buy tickets and stand in line to hear practice paradiddles. Saw these guys in many incarnations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFP-alYNq5I

When all my friends were trucking off to Day on the Green to take acid, bake in the sun all day with 80 thousand people and watch ants on a stage that sounds like a blown transistor radio speaker, who are supposed to be the Stones or Zepplin... I was in small clubs checking out jazz, blues, funk and fusion.

Lady Gaga? Fuck that. Give me some Van Halen and I'll be contempt.

I like language. I like it when people write the wrong word and give their sentence another level of meaning as an unintended twist. I like things like when someone means to type "content," but instead types "contempt." My brain enjoys shit like that.

The Laughing Heart (Charles Bukowski)

your life is your life

don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.

be on the watch.

there are ways out.

there is a light somewhere.

it may not be much light but

it beats the darkness.

be on the watch.

the gods will offer you chances.

know them.

take them.

you can’t beat death but

you can beat death in life, sometimes.

and the more often you learn to do it,

the more light there will be.

your life is your life.

know it while you have it.

you are marvelous

the gods wait to delight

in you.

• Like 1

and, Ride Fast, Take Chances!

No shit, good thought.

I try to have an open mind, use my ears and listen as much as I can.

Last night I saw a documentary about the singer Tony Bennett, making the second record called Duets II, with a bunch of different singers from rock, classical, pop, blues and country. One segment was with Lady Gaga. She has some chops and is a smarter, better musician that you think. You know... on the level she is selling records and touring, promoters, producers and management companies wouldn't have let her get this far in her career if she didn't have the goods both talent and experience. She was good enough to get the demo and arrangement, then rehearse it, show up and and in just a couple takes... live on DVD video... sing well enough to get a cut on the record, and make Tony start dancing with her on the play back.

I don't really know anything about Lady Gaga. I don't pay attention to that stuff... but if she could hang with a living legend like Tony... She can't suck that bad. I still ain't gonna buy tickets or crank he CD up first thing in the morning.

I have a couple friends who I grew up with, we are going to be 60 this year. Both these guys have been playing guitar for over 50 years. Nobody knows more Van Halen, solos note for note than these guys. I mean they were ripping shit off records in the 60's, cassette tapes until the 80's... because fucking CDs hadn't come on the market yet!! When the first 'back track' digital machines came out, then they really started transcribing solos to tablature. Let's just say these boys can shred.

I just read a book about Van Halen, and Sammy's new book called RED. I was talking to them about it. I don't know Van Halen's music past some of the crap that was on MTV mid 80's you know, but my friends have gone to see them every time they have toured. They said Eddie is a vegetable now.

I saw these guys in the spring of '69 at the UC Berkley jazz festival in front of 12K people and they played this song. Needless to say the whole place was starting to levitate. A few weeks later the Live at Montreax record came out and we wore the grooves off it. I never knew there was video of that until i stumbled on this YouTube clip. Please do me a favor and give it a shot... I am listening with 2012 ears to shit I grooved on when I was still dreaming the American Dream in 1969... what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvlivbptXk

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I remember when I started rollin Datsuns back in the 80's is that all the Detroit guy's would crack on me callin my Dattos tin can rice burners. All that did was give me an opinion on the type of gear heads that drove muscle cars, and aided in my search for other Datsun people to befriend. I'm glad that now, when I'm in a Datsun the younger generation that drives heavy muscle cars gives me respect for my 620.

The glory day's for me was the hay day's of the late 80's early 90's mini truck clubs. So much fun was had.

I feel fortunate to live in the time that I do. All the cars I like are hitting rock bottom prices! Whenever my friends ask me why I like old cars, I say, "I don't like old cars, I like good looking cars". I always thought the RX7 looked better than the RX8, stuff like that. I swear some modern cars have to be styled after a smooth dog turd or something.

I do really wish people my age would spend more time admiring the beauty of the earth than admiring the newest smartphones and techno gadgetry though.

I feel fortunate to live in the time that I do. All the cars I like are hitting rock bottom prices! Whenever my friends ask me why I like old cars, I say, "I don't like old cars, I like good looking cars". I always thought the RX7 looked better than the RX8, stuff like that. I swear some modern cars have to be styled after a smooth dog turd or something.

I do really wish people my age would spend more time admiring the beauty of the earth than admiring the newest smartphones and techno gadgetry though.

Marv said it right about the new cars. Great quote.

Modern cars - they all look like electric shavers.

500full.jpg

Me as a lowly 19 year old also prefer the older cars. Though...I've owned a lot of cars...my favorites have all been the 80s car...and the 510 is my first step into the 70s...and I love it. Plus, the music was so much better. Its funny this was brought up, because, all my friends tell me I'm in the wrong generation. The way I dress, etc is all wrong. Button down shirt, everyday...when I'm feeling hip...I'll spring for the polo...haha.

But, I had my SRT4, and...I loved how fast it was, but, that was it. Thats the other major difference between old and new cars. The new cars are fast. Smooth acceleration and tight steering, etc...but, they're no fun. The old cars were clunky and were crude. The old v8s for instance, we just violent. No smooth acceleration, just all out growling that makes little children cry.

Thats whats fun to me. Even if they're slower...its just the feel. And, I am an avid hater of rack and pinion steering. I actually like a little play in the wheel...lol

It's kinda' awesome that so much remembrance, and speculation can come from that first great post, but in our future, with our vast interwebs, and an easy answer to any question we can think up, what people will remember most of our time, I think, is the awakening, being able to just look at a thread, (like this one) and see a bigger picture of what is. 80+ years of perspective in 2 pages of entertaining thought. Driving my 620 or whatever my friends/girlfriends passed me the keys to in the 90's, I thought I invented drifting (called it driving sideways), and road rage (called it not taking any shit), but today, I feel I understand so much more about how shit works and works against us poor people too broke to buy the people that make the rules. More people wake up every day, and though 50 cent a gallon gas, cheap cars you can fix yourself, pensions, single income well off families, free love, cheap pot, and timeless music excite me, i'm really interested to see what happens next. Seems like we're in a century (at least) long cycle of mild ups and downs, but what happens when everyone wakes up? Will we still let the media tell us what to think, what to pay attention to, and who to vote for? This next decade could really be some honest to god good old days someday, and not just a glossed over version of the reality of our time. As far as driving a tin can rice burner goes, always gonna' be comfy with that, who cares how easily a datsun dents when you don't hit anything, and what's cooler than driving a drop dead gorgeous classic, and getting some mileage (or moving faster than what seems humanly possible)? I love the style of those memorable muscle cars, but I wouldn't wanna' feed one :)

mm47 dude i couldnt agree more threwout most of my life i was told i was in the wrong generation it started with my music taste while all the "cool kids" in school were sagging there pants and listening to rappers talk about killing one another im listening to a metallica tape i stole from my dads collection in my black jeans and van halen shirt then once i became old enough to have my own car i would go to the local car meets and be the only car older the 85 everyone would ask me why i had that vs say a civic and i would answer "2 reasons one my car has personality not some cookie cutter civic everyone and there mother owns its unique and looks alot better in my opinion reason number 2 say were both driving down the road and both your car and mine breaks down i guarantee ill be running down the road after some head scratching and some bailing wire while your calling a tow truck" the point is yes the world today has alot of advantages to it but we as a society nhave lost some very important things along the way such as the ability to think and act on your own

Totally missed out on all of your replies. Don't have time to go through individually, but let me just put in my $.2.

Maybe it stems from my love for southern culture, my family and the way they were raised, etc. I look back at the 1920's as prime time. As us with ANY era, there was bad blood somewhere. Looking at where we're at as a country now though, I can't help but imagine that we're tearing ourselves to pieces and destroying our own existence.

Life seemed so much simpler back then. I've NEVER encountered an older gentlemen at work that would prefer the times we live in now over the 50's-60's that they grew up in. We are walking ourselves into extinction one step at a time.

When I walk into a small antique shop, I don't go to buy old cool shit, I go to reminisce. Every little spoon and door knob has a story to tell.

We are walking ourselves into extinction one step at a time.

Yup, everyone is too concerned on when the next iPad is coming out though, or what the next big headline on the "news" is gonna be.

oh and whack ass rappers ripping off ideas/mottos... punks arn't original i'd rather listen to something a million times over than listen to the "new" reused shit they

air now.

I'm sad to say, but it's gonna take another Pearl Harbor, or 9/11 to wake these mindless fucks up.

yolo.jpg