My first 78 Datsun!

86 720

Picked this up recently, needs a new headgasket.

dcfe829a.jpg

3085227b.jpg

576784ae.jpg

0d03e206.jpg

Starting to clean the block and clean out the threads.

4abeb862.jpg

b3646a2c.jpg

After a couple hours of cleaning, inhaling engine degreaser fumes, and a few scraped knuckles on my end, we were able to get the it on and torqued down.

bb538b83.jpg

012812ca.jpg

Did an oil pressure test, oil came out in all the right places and placed the valve cover back on to protect the internals from dirt. Also plugged the sides to prevent dirt intrusion.

8c73349d.jpg

0834a960.jpg

Got my radiator back from Mesa Radiators. Always been happy with them, they do a good job and a good price. They told me it was half clogged and pretty dirty. They've done all the radiators in my cars, and have never disappointed me.

70904872.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some more work tonight. Took off the belts, sprayed down the motor with cleaner, and cleaned some more engine parts for re-assembly.

Managed to remove the exhaust manifold tonight, ended up breaking one of the three studs off. Not sure how to get the rest of it out.

Bought another few cans of engine cleaner and sprayed down the drivers side of the engine.

5592279c.jpg

9345c171.jpg

78b248ef.jpg

Did it break off flush ? Do you have acetylene torch?

Oh, your paint is really nice and you have the fender badge most ive seen are dissolved and gone..

What does the interior look like,, as clean as the outside??

Here's what it looked like the day I picked it up. I haven't done anything to it, been working in the engine bay only. The exterior is pretty dusty right now, nothing a car wash can't fix though.

51b9a0f4.jpg

03ab3ae5.jpg

e58c5855.jpg

5ce27edf.jpg

You make me regret not picking up the '77 510 hatchback that was for sale north of me for $600. :( But there are so many things my 3 current Datsuns need that $600 could do. I looked at the ad at least 100 times though.

Your interior is as nice as the outside thumbup1.gif

Were would a person even start looking for a set of those

Were the UK ones close? Maybe member Ant-dat can source them. He has bumpers for other mid-late 70's Datsuns.

SHE RUNS!!!

Got everything back together yesterday, with a few tweaks needed here and there and fired her up! I need to plug the exhaust manifold where the EGR tube came out. It looks like it is a 1" bung.

Replaced the oil for the start-up, turned over and started on the second try! Now it start right up with no problems. We put water in the radiator and left the thermostat out for the start up too. I drained the water and the oil this morning and put fresh oil and a new filter I also replaced the water temp. sensor while I had everything drained. Replaced a section of heater hose leading into the cab, and various vacuum hoses through-out. I also put fresh water in the radiator for now. Once I'm certain all the hose clamps will hold, I'll drain the water again and put fresh coolant and a thermostat in.

3e2480ed.jpg

26658b02.jpg

c284e76e.jpg

9ca20095.jpg

08061999.jpg

482bfce7.jpg

88fa9978.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took off the master cylinder tonight, pretty dirty and def. leaking. Also am going to replace a small portion of the hard brake line. Whoever installed the existing master cylinder really did a number on the bolt head.

Got this last week, just haven't put the plate on the car yet. I need to get some rubber washers so the plate doesn't rub against the paint. Also got my Haggerty insurance cards in the mail! Fully legal to drive!

275337d7.jpg