l series test stand

well like the topic says im thinking about making a test stand. i just picked up a freshly machined and hot tanked l20b block and im ordering a rebuild kit and new crank this thursday. have any of you built a test stand for these before? any input? i have enough metal around here to weld one up and would anyone else be able to get some use out of this? if i do end up building it i will do a write up in the how to section

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure have !!! Look at my build thread in my sig ;) ... well i really just finished it ..

Build it lower to the ground ... if you plan on power going on there

A bit of work ... but well worth it ... use what you have ... does not have to be pretty ... mug welder recommended ... finished mine with arc welder

Ill attach a pic in a sec...

IMG0023.jpg

IMG0013-1.jpg

2" tubing frame ... you can build a square one low to the ground ... for cheaper solution ... modify your cherry picker for detachable pieces ... and a dual purpose space saver ;)

sbc mounted on this ... Not pretty but effective! I pulled entire wiring system out of a 1975 Chevy pickup ... all wiring intact on engine already ... you don't need much for wiring system ... just google it :) ... it was cheapest to use what i had around me ... you can even hotwire it and have Kill switch lol ...

Use two engine mounts ... and a rear bell-housing mount ... i have a detachable l-series bellhousing i. Which i drilled a plate and bolted it to the bell housing, ,, then attached to the tube test stand frame ...

Again ... use what you have ... depending on what you use, have, and buy ... it can get expensive fast! !!

This is what I made up to support and run a diesel engine, it also has a radiator mount, sorry for the photo quality, as the setup is in my shed buried, I did the best I could.

This is of the right side mount and wheel.

DSCN0222.jpg

Same side, differant angle.

DSCN0230.jpg

This is the transmission tail wheel.

DSCN0226.jpg

This is strait down above the transmission tail wheel.

DSCN0233.jpg

As I said, in the photos, there are two 1 1/2 inch peices of 90% angle going forward that the rad. mounts to.

This is packed so tight, that I am unable to get photos of the other side.

This will roll around in the grass in my front yard without issues, there is an axle that goes all the way to the other wheel/engine mount bracket on the left side, the engine mounts hold the front in position, otherwise the front setup would colapse, as it folds up for storage.

thanks for the input. i wana be able run it for a bit before it goes in because i would rather have something go wrong with it outside of the truck and its nice to be able to break in the motor some before she gets driven

Its well worth it! !! I found i had bad valve seals, a bad accelerator pump, and a partially plugged oil return on the passengers side of my Chevy! Even checked torque on head bolts ... tested different mufflers ... and adjusted timing! !! HAha ...

Wanna be really cheap with wiring and gauges? Extend wires from your datsun ... utilize your gauges haha ... good luck.!

Just build a rectangular frame, put uprights on the front. Brace them, there is the radiator holder

Use and old four speed transmission, with or without an input shaft to hold the rear of the engine. For the front angled mounts, I think both sides are the same angle, and the tilt of the engine is accommodated by the metal bracket between the rubber engine mounts, and the engine block

Another idea, get the front part of a chassis from a 521, or a 620 and use that.

:edit: can we not embed youtube videos anymore?

Works for me...

[quote name=bustedknuckles' date='03

January 2012 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1325648740' post='604659]

well like the topic says im thinking about making a test stand. i just picked up a freshly machined and hot tanked l20b block and im ordering a rebuild kit and new crank this thursday. have any of you built a test stand for these before? any input? i have enough metal around here to weld one up and would anyone else be able to get some use out of this? if i do end up building it i will do a write up in the how to section

Test stand or engine stand?

An engine stand is much better for holding an engine in a variety of positions while adding parts to it. You can buy them for$40.

thanks for the input. i wana be able run it for a bit before it goes in because i would rather have something go wrong with it outside of the truck and its nice to be able to break in the motor some before she gets driven

if i ever get an l series to swap in my B, thats what i want to do, to get all the bugs out of the motor and as much as possible out of the tranny/clutch while its out. makes things a lot smoother and its so much easier to work on outside of a vehicle. i've seen some really TERRIBLE looking stands work just fine. seen a 351w have the mess revved out of it on the one i'm thinking of without any trouble. i did some of the revving. :D

• 3 months later...