Should I buy this?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While on the daily CL prowl, found this. Been wanting a daily beater/hauler since I tore my truck apart. the guys says the transmission is pretty warn. are these eary to come by? The body looks solid.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2753159591.html

Looks like you could get it for a bit less if you showed with cash. And those are great cars, I loved mine.. there's been a guy trying to sell one in Portland for 2k that doesn't look that straight. Depends on how it runs I suppose??

While on the daily CL prowl, found this. Been wanting a daily beater/hauler since I tore my truck apart. the guys says the transmission is pretty warn. are these eary to come by? The body looks solid.

http://seattle.craig...2753159591.html

Dude if your lookin then hell yeah.

For 500$? and it STOPS laugh.gif

From the pics it looks very straight and clean

Funky lookin motor, what is it?

By the way, it's really a 1979 model. You can verify by the build date on the door pillar.

1979 B310 models were manufactured in 1978 through September 1979.

Same one I had exactly. Those things are built well, I got rear ended by an 810 Maxima going about 40 in mine at a dead stop, knocked me into the car in front of me. Drove it for another 6 months then sold it to a buddy who put another 100k on it, had about 300k on it before it gave up.

But it! The automatic transmissions are common.

You should get it, then come down and get an auto trans from me. Or find a 63a, get it get it get get it.

Looks like a standard to me.....

The square headlights and matching fender change was in December '79 so half way through the '80 model year.

Well I told the guy I would come look at it the morning. If I were to get it, I would try to find another 5speed for it. I'm really diggin on the wagon with the roof rack :cool:

A bad tranny can lay it up for months before you find, pay for, and get even a 4 speed home and instal it. It's winter. So lets say worst case is having it on the road next Mar/Apr. Things to check today are:

Is it get in and turn key start and go? (or "sorry that battery stays") Every time? Does it restart when warmed up? Will it restart 5-6 times in a row? exhaust loud or ok? Smoke when starting cold or warm? Any odd engine noise? Does it overheat if left idling? Is the rad full of antifreeze?(a good sign that the system isn't leaking) Fan belts ok? Any missing parts under the hood like air filter, fan shroud.

Electrical ok? Charging?, signals, wipers, heater, headlights, radio, rear defogger etc working? Radio missing and hacked wiring hanging out?

Visually the rims and tires look ok? No strange wear patterns on any of the tires? Cracked or weather checked? Car sits level? Body looks complete no missing bumpers or antenna? Glass ok? Holes under carpet? In trunk or back, Gas tank got a wet spot/leaking. Diff got an oily wet spot. Rear of tranny /driveshaft oily wet? (could be low on oil and why tranny noisy) Oil pan on engine oily wet?

Take for drive: Does it drive alright with fair performance or does it struggle? Tranny sounds? Sounds when using the clutch? Vibrations? Steering tight or wander all over the road? Do the brakes work? Does it pull to one side, brake squeal? E brake work?