WeberDGV/DGES carb experts

I have been having carb proplem on my 521 so I swapped out my 38/38 for a 32/36

Out of 4 downdrafyts I have only one that works at idle.

I cleaned out all the idle jets and shot carb cleaner in the idle jet ports but notice noting comes out of them.

is there a way to clean /route a wire.

1)One carb is a (brand new) 32/36 and it didnt work on my Banzai car a few years ago, S I tried it yesterday and NO GO.

So to vehicles and to sets of intakes I dont know why it dont work? Bad casting? idle port inside carb plugged??

2) the 38/38(used) stop idleling good but I notice if Im on a hill it Will idle ? Im thinking float. So this also shows that there is no gasket leaks,Correct?

3)This carb(used) I had Sean in Puayllup use and a swear it was good when I let him borrow it. It dont idle either

4)this DGV(usd) seems to work ok got the basic adjustments working but After having 38/38 I felt like I lost 15% power right of the bat.

Since this is a 521 maybe th soem dirt got past the idle jet and clooged in side the carb. I sprayed the carb cleaner in the idle jet port but dont see where it comes out at. Its should be below the butterfly soemwhere right?

I thought I was on top of my game on this one most time I just swap them out and it works.

Besides ilde all the carbs work fine

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you cleaned out the jets, did you remove them? That's usually the first thing I do when I have plugged jets (idle or main). But you have to be careful that you didn't get brass shavings in there, especially if they didn't come out easily.

With the jets out you can at least look to see if you can see through the jets themselves. I almost always find them either clogged or partially clogged. Old gas will seal them. I then blast the jets AND the passages out with 100psi air (with the jet out). Sometimes the jets are so clogged I have to run a pin through them. Carb cleaner is good, but the can doesn't have enough force to blow the crap out.

Generally what I find in the carbs is either rust particles or bits of hose. This ethanol-laced gasoline traps water in the tank AND lines forming rust, AND eats the rubber fuel hoses.

I removed the idle jets. Ck them to see if I can see the holes then just got the carb cleaner with the straw and shot in the where the idle jet screws into. I think I woulkd see soem sort of orface with carb cleaner comming out of there.

Key is I need High pressure air,which I dont have

running 2 filters on the 521 now

Maybe the 2 filters are causing some restriction. Try removing one and see if it helps.

Maybe the 2 filters are causing some restriction.??????

Datto, you making your self sound bad. This is at idle. Im sure there is not a BIG draw of fuel at idle.I just put the 2 filters on. After I got the running carb on there.

Datsunaholic,Yes I have a tire infaltion but have to look for the adapters if I still even have them.

I know theres that Weber place in Auburn behind the 7 Eleven. But dont really want to get abused on how to trouble shoot a carb. Im sure hell say he can rebuild them. But i just need to knoiw how to clean the idle circut. or have him clean it but Im sure I wont get just That option with him.

20years of Datsun is maybe enough.

time to get rid of the 521 and yellow510 and buy a Jeep wrangler 4dr i want and support the USA

just keep the Banzai510.

is there a way to clean /route a wire.

Yes:

1. Remove the air jet, the main jet, and the idle mixture screw

2. If spray carb cleaner doesn't go through...

3. Use a soft copper strand from car wiring. keep it straight and don't let it break off

4. Use more carb cleaner and/or compressed air

The fuel goes in through the Primary main jet, through a passage up to the air jet, then down to the idle port.

If this doesn't do it, the casting is bad or the carb is full of hardened crud (a tank soak might clear it up).

With some carbs, if the gasket is the wrong one, the idle circuit can be blocked, but the DGV design won't let this happen.

* When you spray into the idle mixture screw hole, it should come out inside the primary barrel

* When you spray down the air jet hole, it should come out the main jet. If you block that with your finger, it should come out the idle port

thanks GGzilla thats what I was looking for.

"The fuel goes in through the Primary main jet, through a passage up to the air jet, then down to the idle port."

stupidfast,I always wanted a Willys Jeep Or a More the recent Mitshibitshi J53 flatfender version Diesel Willys. a M151 jeep or the new 4 dr Wrangler. I love my Cherokee also. But nothing wrong with the FJ60s and 70s straight axles wagons or trucks

I know theres that Weber place in Auburn behind the 7 Eleven. But dont really want to get abused on how to trouble shoot a carb. Im sure hell say he can rebuild them. But i just need to knoiw how to clean the idle circut. or have him clean it but Im sure I wont get just That option with him.

20years of Datsun is maybe enough.

time to get rid of the 521 and yellow510 and buy a Jeep wrangler 4dr i want and support the USA

just keep the Banzai510.

My brother has went to that place a few times to buy jets and crap , and he said he thinks it`s a front for something else , because nothing on the counter ever moves,,ever..

....And there`s no way you could ask anywhere near the newb like questions my brother has asked he dude..

And just tell me the address of the street that yellow cars going to be pushed out into,, and your stress will vanish almost instantly..

Open the carb. Super easy, I have opened 2 of them and reused the gasket without leaks.

I was pretty sure all I did to help my idle was take out the idle jet (primary) and the idle mixture screw and just spray carb cleaner until it came out with force. In the jet hole, out the mixture screw hole. Then I did it backwards. My car idled better, and took off from starts better after that.

That's the nice thing about the Weber- the top body (and only gasket inside) only really covers the float chamber. The Hitachi had all sorts of internal passages and BBs that were check valves that would fall out.

And Laecaon has a point- take the mixture screw ALL the way out, then spray into both it and the jet- should at least get spray back and forth. That only works on one side, but its a start.

Banzai, the DGV is super easy to open and clean.

After the air cleaner's off, it's literally held on by 6 screws and a C-clip on the choke butterflies where the shaft attaches.

The float comes off with the top piece that has the power valve actuator in it. The lower section left below has both your Primary/secondary jets in the bowl with your air correcter jets next to the emulsion tube on top. Idle jets are on the barrels on the side of the carb. I used carb cleaner and a strand of speaker wire through the passages and got mine running better then it ever did.

I bought a Weber for the 210 a while back and finally got the guts to break it open. I'm glad I did, because it was the easiest thing I've ever done on a car. I found the gasket to be in good shape too, so I re-used it.

I put a Weber on my L20B and ended up breaking it open and making a new gasket out of gasket material. The old one tore, but I made a template.

Edited by metalmonkey47

I open it up last night and shot cleaner all thru it.

If just trying to figure out where the gas is feed to the idle circut.

1) When you spray into the idle mixture screw hole, it should come out inside the primary barrel

2) When you spray down the air jet hole, it should come out the main jet. If you block that with your finger, it should come out the idle port

2) I did not see this but will try again.

whats that thing at the bottom of the carb bowl with the sloted fitting with a spring type thing in there.

Ill look it up also.

Not trying to thread jack, but what sort of adjustment to the accelerator pump is there? I cant find anything solid, seen people drill the jet, change pins... But Then I see things like "it isnt adjustable".

It is not adjustable, you have to buy a new nozzle for it... it has a number stamped onto it with the size.

GGZilla,Yes I went the CarbsUnlimited Site and saw the Power Valve and has nothing to do with the idle.

When I squirt carb cleaner in the left main jet(bottem left of fuel bowl) I dont see where anything comming out.

So the main jet feeds the idle port?

Dime Quartely had a good writeup unfortuanly my computer print out only 3/4 side of the page so Im missing infor. Cant find it now on the New improved Dime Quarterly site.

Had adjustments for the stock Hitachi/Weber. Hitachi accel pump adjustments

Yes, the DGV accelerator pump is adjusted via the nozzle size. I think you can also change the spring.

Yes, the main jet feeds the main well, which is what the idle port feeds from. But the main well has an air bleed, so if you don't block that (put your finger on it), nothing will come out the idle port.

You can go to Timberland Regional Library and get the Weber (or Holley 5200) book.