Dang near sealed up my entire 510 for under $50 at pick-n-pull

VintageRice

Went to pick-n-pull today for a rubber/seal trasure hunt. I was going in blind grabbling things that light be made to work. Didn't know if I'd find anything good but hey, worth a try.

Started looking for some window squeegies that could be modified and attached to thte stock 510 trim piece. Found a set that looked promising off a older ford/murcury. Yanked them.

Then found a few trunk seals, and other bits, a cowl seal for under the hood off other misc. cars. Can't remember what any of them were but the door seals I grabbed on the way out were the true score of the day.

They were off some little red hatchback between the imports and the dodge/chrysler section. I'm going back soon to find that car cause I need to let you guys know what they came off of. More on that in a minute

Ended up with this, $44 worth of rubber.

seal1.jpg

So the squeeges, I basicly trimmed them up too look like whats in the pics. Then removed the old rubber and metal strip thats held on by staples and used 2-part epoxy to glue the new squeegies to the factory trim piece. Started with this.

seal3.jpg

seal4.jpg

trimmed

seal5.jpg

seal6.jpg

Ended with this.

seal7.jpg

seal8.jpg

Now for the door seals!!!

Unlike the factory door seals, These seals go on the the inside, the car side not the door. They fit PERFECT. It's like they are made for a 510. And seal AWESOME. Nice tight fit between the door and the seal. It has a "U" channel that goes where the old, knit looking welting went that slides over the edge of the headliner. And thats it. Installed in under 30 seconds. It will need to be shortended a few inches and then the door sil can cover the ends. I'm so stoked about these seals. the NOS seals that are sometimes available are priced rediculously and are probably not as tight of a seal. Also this seal does the job of two of the old parts(seal and welting) so one less thing to buy. Each seal at PnP was about $5 bucks.

On top of that Joby(hose wranger homie aka fancy pants aka bratman) nfound me some gas door bumpers and a seal that goes on the cowl to seal the back of the hood.

had a trunk seal that fit PERFECT and looked so clean but alas was too thick and the trunk wouldnt shut. So I'm still on the hunt for inner squeesies and a trunk seal.

I'm uploading two videos, one of the squeegee's and one of the door seal. Just easier to get a feel for them on video. Will post asap.

OICS ! !

seal9.jpg

seal12.jpg

seal11.jpg

No seal needed here!

seal10.jpg

Gas door bumpers

seal14.jpg

Hood

seal2.jpg

Trunk fail, sure seemed like it would work. Just stuck it on quick for a pic

seal15.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to PnP today to return a trunk seal, get almost $20 bucks back. They charge per foot with trunk seals. $2.49 a foot so kinda spendy. But the door seals are per item and under $5. Dont ask me why trunk seals arent $5 too......ghey..

Then I'll trace down those cars and figure out what they were. Also Going to look for a e30 trunk seal(thanks Laecaon).

Will report back!!

Heres one more for fun

seal16.jpg

Found the car i nabbed the door seals off of. May be a little hard to find in your local yard. Only one there I could see.

1991 Plymouth Laser.

But isnt there a Dodge version of this car too? Or maybe a Eagle Talon???

Either way, I think theres more cars out there that would work. Just pull off a inner door seal off any car that fits over a pinch weld, and see if it works on your datto.

I couldnt find the exact car I grabbed the squeegee's off of but I pulled some off a B2600 mazda pickup and they looked identical.

Pic of the door seal car.

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

That is awesome! I like eliminating the need for glue on the doors. the only thing I would worry about is the bottom of the door. what is going to seal water out between the sill plate and the lower edge of the door?

Yeah, I was thinking about that today. I might just get some stick-on generic stripping for the bottom to seal it up under the door. Not really worried about looks there since you cant see it.

hoping to get mine this week. looks like a killer setup

I almost grabbed one more set, but didn't. I also scored some light up switches and a mazda wiper motor. I might be going back today, you want a set??

on a nice 510 i would want it to look oem. on a piece of shit daily these will work! only thing that gets me is the bottom of the door seal. thailand seals are like 200 bucks for front and back glass and 4 door seals. and like 60 for 4 window felts. man you guys are killing me