EFI info

DATN510

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could also use a twin weber intake manifold and some TWM throttle bodies or CBperformance throttle bodies and build a surge box similar to a cartech surge box made for z series cars.

Before my buddy was going to do the vg swap in his 510 I was going to use his modified twin SU manifold from a roadster and weld on some 280z fuel injected manifold ends and use some throttle bodies to make him a EFI intake manifold, maybe I will if we keep the motor around.

Mike this is the 3th thread started about or L series EFI related, so to save space and to keep all this valuable info in one spot for you and others that will read it, maybe we should start a build thread? One thread where I can move everything into and it's all yours. What do you think? Come up with a new title and I'll change it to that too?

II think adding a build thread is a great idea, and just call this build . "Custom EFI Turbo build", if that works for you?

You could also use a twin weber intake manifold and some TWM throttle bodies or CBperformance throttle bodies and build a surge box similar to a cartech surge box made for z series cars.

Before my buddy was going to do the vg swap in his 510 I was going to use his modified twin SU manifold from a roadster and weld on some 280z fuel injected manifold ends and use some throttle bodies to make him a EFI intake manifold, maybe I will if we keep the motor around.

I thought about going with the weber intake mani, and figured it would be easier with a straight build. Plus its going to look sweet all polished up.

Hey Ztrain, thanks for info. what degree did you install bungs, and how long are your runners?

I read the longer the runner the better bottom end?

Haven't gotten there yet.My z manifold will be cut down(duh).I will measure so the manifold will clear the boost&then some.But i will make the runners as long as i can.Keep in mind the Z manifold runners are 31mm(I.D) where the L-20b is 35 MM.

Sometimes it's good to have a smaller intake port then head port anti reversion comes to mind such as any air or gases being forced up from the piston past the valves when they overlap can disrupt the flow of the air fuel mixture but having that step from the smaller intake vs head port can help prevent that disruption.

Sometimes it's good to have a smaller intake port then head port anti reversion comes to mind such as any air or gases being forced up from the piston past the valves when they overlap can disrupt the flow of the air fuel mixture but having that step from the smaller intake vs head port can help prevent that disruption.

I designed it from the port velocity and low speed cylinder filling stand point.The motor is in a truck and the cam is all done by 5500 rpm.

A smaller port diameter will force the air to go faster and the inertia will increase. This will help overcome two things at low speeds. The sudden closing and opening of the intake causes the slowly moving air to stop and then have to accelerate again. The faster it moves, the air will 'pile up' behind the valve and force it's way into the cylinder when it opens. Faster moving air also, through inertia, keeps flowing into the cylinder even though the intake hasn't closed and the piston is 52 degrees past BDC (stock L20B... even more on a camed motor) and rising on the compression stroke

The problem is that what works at low speed is very restrictive at high speed.

1.5" is the same as the 219 L16SSS head. L20Bs were typically 1.375" and less.This is for good economy/performance on a street car engine. Opening them up too much drops intake air speed at lower RPMs and this lowers efficiency... even worse with a larger cam.

High end would be enhanced by big cam and large diameter runners and ports. This would promote good breathing at high RPMs and the more in ... the more out. In theory with perfect breathing a motor will double the hp with every doubling of RPMs.

Big overlap cams with late closing intakes, while very effective at high RPMs, suffer from poor cylinder filling at low RPMs.