72 Goon barn find

loveoldrice

I dont want to call this a build thread ... cause its just not that exciteing in comparison to the auesome builds if seen hear on Ratsun . But , its cool for me and im sure some of u will enjoy . Bought this wagon about 2 yrs ago from a tow yard in Northern Ca where it had been pulled out of a old shed /barn for about 18 yrs . It was filthy ( of coarse ) passenger rear door glass had been broken out and had been the home of cats ,racoons , who knows for quite some time . The interior was REALLY nasty smelling , but after stripping interior and a lot of cleaning , is pretty nice inside now . I put a quote un quote good running L20B in it only to find out it was low on 2 and 3 cylinders and it kinda stopped for me there . Well as of current picked , picked up another l20b thats torn down , at the machine shop and hopefully get this old girl back on the road soon DSCN1681.jpgDSCN1682.jpgDSCN1690.jpgDSCN1691.jpgDSCN1692.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:fu:

I dont want to call this a build thread ... cause its just not that exciteing in comparison to the auesome builds if seen hear on Ratsun . But , its cool for me and im sure some of u will enjoy . Bought this wagon about 2 yrs ago from a tow yard in Northern Ca where it had been pulled out of a old shed /barn for about 18 yrs . It was filthy ( of coarse ) passenger rear door glass had been broken out and had been the home of cats ,racoons , who knows for quite some time . The interior was REALLY nasty smelling , but after stripping interior and a lot of cleaning , is pretty nice inside now . I put a quote un quote good running L20B in it only to find out it was low on 2 and 3 cylinders and it kinda stopped for me there . Well as of current picked , picked up another l20b thats torn down , at the machine shop and hopefully get this old girl back on the road soon DSCN1681.jpgDSCN1682.jpgDSCN1690.jpgDSCN1691.jpgDSCN1692.jpg

DUDE...LUCKY! (with a Napolean Dynamite Tone) :fu: :geek:

Thanks for all the kind comments guys !! I get crap from my wife and kids about this car all the time , but ive loved it ever since i first set eyes on it . And not to decieve you guys and gals .. it wasnt in quite this good of shape when i bought it . It had 2 flat tires , grill and bezels inside of car , engine compartment had surface rust and just ur typical oily and dirty . So buffed out the paint ( original ), stripped and repainted engine compartment added the spoiler , wheels and tires , amber headlights ,BRE stripes and mostly a lot of cleaning . All the a/c stuff is there and hopeing with a charge , i can be cruising in comfort next summer . I will try to get some more pics up this afternoon :P

My family is a little jaded , ive got a 70 Cuda , 70 Challenger , 70 Duster , 70 Sport Satelite , 68 Dart GTS , and a few others .. well u get the picture . They like my 510 2 dr but just dont see the cool factor in the wagon like i do . I rarely drive my Mopars but am very jacked about the goon being my day to day run around car and stop putting miles on my diesel truck . :cool:

I think Banzai510 was right on target , im going to check it out better tommorrow but appears that the valves are set way to tight on a couple cylinders , which i quess wouldnt do to well in a compression test ( or running very good )May have to call the machine shop on monday and tell them to hold off on work on the other L20B . I still got clutch and brake issues , but 1 step at a time :mellow: DSCN1693.jpgDSCN1694.jpgDSCN1695.jpgDSCN1696.jpg

what I do is just put lobe pointing up and wiggle the rocker, if tight then adjust.

if rockers are all loose you know the valve is closing. dosnt mean the valve could be cracked. I have seen these on other peoples cars but never my own.

If head off ck the pistons. even with low comp it sould still fire off.

spark .fire order. timming,

oil pump installed correctly ect. then gas

it will fire up.

Be honest just buy looking at this its a minor issue. Youll kick yourself in the ass once you figure it out

Well , after valve adjustments and running comp test ( average 60 ) decided to pull . Nice suprise was the A87 was a peanut head . Planning on just having the head rebuilt , shaved and going back with stock pistons ( ofcoarse new bearings , rings , gskts ,etc ) hopeing this will be a good combo with weber , offy intake and have my exhaust replace stock with 2-1/4 tubeing and flowmaster style muffler ..... Maybe ... Im open to feedback .. dont want to spend a ton of $ , but can step up a little if theres something that i should look at :blink: DSCN1697.jpgDSCN1698-1.jpgDSCN1699.jpgDSCN1700.jpg

See any cracks??? in valves

I just cant see how all cylinders are 60. unless all the rings are lined up instead of being offset.

Be honest I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with this motor unless the piston rings were installed wrong

exhaust

2in is more than enough

Flowmasters are too loud dont sound right on a 4 banger(my opinion)

Datto510 has a CherrybombTurbo 2 with a resonator and it was quiet. Only heard the sidedraftss

Im going to inspect the head closer this am before taking to the machine shop for cracked valves . I double checked my compression testor with shop air and it appears to be right on . Ya i know , 60 psi is crazy low , doesnt make any sence . I probably wont go with the flowmaster ....my 2 door has 2-14 exhaust and some kind of little turbo muffler and sounds good . A little loud , but not that tinny Honda fart can sound :D

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you get this going.. Unfortunately my wrx decided to take all of my money for now, so I had to sell the goon I bought from you.. its getting picked up today and going to a good home. But ya, you should see Dave's garage.. its a thing of beauty in and of itself! This goon is definitely nice in person for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Seydonabugeye ! Sorry you had to sell the goon . As i had told you , my best friend in hi schools dad bought that car brand new and the family had owned it all this time before i got it from my friend last summer . Hes no longer a car guy and it was just wasting away in his driveway so hope someone will bring it back . It is a clean builder :P