New Guy: Here's my ride

Gideon35T

Well I traded my 1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe for this 1979 Datsun 620 with just over 100k miles. It's in pretty awesome shape and has had most of the motor replaced or rebuilt. I'm not new to Nissan but this is my first true Datsun. The kid who owned it previously had it WAY high and some ebay cheapo 1" wheel spacers on all four corners. I took care of that real quick.

The build plan now that she's lowered is as follows: Weber carb swap, needs a new windshield, new tires go on today (little smaller height and width), a light tint job, will try refreshing the paint but if she doesn't sparkle I'll repaint her, and several misc bits and pieces. I also swapped out the huge mirrors that were on it for some smaller roadster type mirrors and lifter the rear of the hood ~3/4".

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and I always welcome recommendations/suggestions. Also, if you have parts I may need/want just lemme know.

When I first got it

299863_2359184652598_1039718858_2716510_1171616712_n.jpg

295990_2359184772601_1039718858_2716511_164765926_n.jpg

And now onto the new lowered pics - She needs a bath I know I know (new tires are in the back awaiting mounting)

299223_2420481384978_1039718858_2765011_1137425792_n.jpg

2.jpg?partExt=.jpg&outquality=56&rand=-1248863847901724523&ext=.jpg&limitsize=600,800&inviteToken=dErrJU8mkPhIF7e8hUfh

4.jpg?partExt=.jpg&outquality=56&rand=3829677394886574209&ext=.jpg&limitsize=600,800&inviteToken=dErrJU8mkPhIF7e8hUfh

5.jpg?partExt=.jpg&outquality=56&rand=-3523325199854010020&ext=.jpg&limitsize=600,800&inviteToken=dErrJU8mkPhIF7e8hUfh

And my personal Fav from earlier today

3.jpg?partExt=.jpg&outquality=56&rand=8777710486284814070&ext=.jpg&limitsize=600,800&inviteToken=dErrJU8mkPhIF7e8hUfh

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome brotha, nice ride! hit the "general" section for the "pinned" posts for lots of the basic answers to the most common questions and phat ratsun loots. Most stuff has been asked a hundred billion times and answered just as many. Good luck with the mods/updates, and again, welcome.

I've had the truck about 2 weeks and have spent the whole time scouring ratsun, hahaha.Seems like a tight community too. I'm always happy to see a good forum.

Just had the new tires put on. 185/65/14's so she creeped a little lower on the shorter rubber. Nothing worth posting more pics about but it's an improvement.

Now I just need to figure out all the rattles and such. Already had to modify the 2 piece driveshaft collar. At the new angle the shaft was hitting the collar :-/

The rear of the hood is raises: (a) To clear my air cleaner setup (B) Promotes airflow through the engine bay since I deleted the mechanical fan and just run a 12" electric here in Arizona © I like it cosmetically :-)

I'm in Sierra Vista just outside of Fort Huachuca. It's about an hour from Tucson. I don't roll up there that often but I'm not far. How many Datsun guys are around here? There should be lots since cars dont rust down here, haha.

"Nice first post, well executed, and well liked. Plenty of oics to keep the natives happy, and you're exuberance is obvious. Welcome. Lots of well informed people on this site, no I am not one of them. I make up for it with my positive attitude and cave manish good looks."

I build alot of cars so I'm very familiar with how to start on a forum ;-) I'm prolly a member on close to 30 ROFL --- Without pics everyone just complains until they show up, lol.

I honestly wont need much help as I'm a gearhead and I do my research. But forums are always great for more ideas and parts!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I hope I can get this classic to make you all envious :o :D :P :cool:

They do, just make sure you get a non-smog one (if you can)

Awesome. That should simplify things a bit. By "non-smog" are you referring to ones that dont have ports for EGR and EVAP? Which model mani's are non-smog?

Also, by the looks of things I'm guessing the L16 mani has smaller runners. Anyone know the size difference? Inconsequential or hp robbing size difference?

I'd like to run dual sidedrafts but the cost of a newish mani + 2 sidedrafts is the drawback. However, I see a few members with L series manifolds with/without carb setups for sale. Just not L20B specific setups. If I'll lose as much as I gain (due to the smaller runners) then I'd rather just bolt in a 32/36. Input?

I don't need or want tons of power gain just to get her a bit peppier. Plus sidedrafts are just awesomely throwback. No matter what my stock carb is all but shot so I need a replacement, lol.

Awesome. That should simplify things a bit. By "non-smog" are you referring to ones that dont have ports for EGR and EVAP? Which model mani's are non-smog?

Also, by the looks of things I'm guessing the L16 mani has smaller runners. Anyone know the size difference? Inconsequential or hp robbing size difference?

I'd like to run dual sidedrafts but the cost of a newish mani + 2 sidedrafts is the drawback. However, I see a few members with L series manifolds with/without carb setups for sale. Just not L20B specific setups. If I'll lose as much as I gain (due to the smaller runners) then I'd rather just bolt in a 32/36. Input?

I don't need or want tons of power gain just to get her a bit peppier. Plus sidedrafts are just awesomely throwback. No matter what my stock carb is all but shot so I need a replacement, lol.

Yep, there might be a few other small differences, but the lack of EGR is the biggest. I got my non-smog off of an l18, intake ports are all the same on l series, so any side-draft mani for an l series should work. I have a 32/36 on my truck, bolted right on and made a bbiiiiigggg difference. It's deffinently worth the money, especially because you need to replace yours anyways :P

P.S. your truck is sweet, and I'm diggin the (tweed?) seat cover!

The drop was done with the factory front adjustment (It could go lower btw) and 3" clocks for the rear.

Awesome, found a sidedraft mani and dual SU's for sale. Should be buying them today.

The seat cover is horsehair tweed too, lol. I'll have to take some interior pics as well.

Besides a cracked dash she's in pretty darn good shape.

However, between my lowering and a worn isolator the driveshaft is smacking the isolator bracket.

I think I'll custom make a new isolator. Can't drive it anymore till I figure that out.

Holy crap hahaha - I REALLY didnt expect to find another member on here, especially not one with a 620 so damn close, haha

I work at the complex next door to daisy maes. So I park there when our lot is busy.

I know of another 620 around here but the guy has a flatbed on it and uses it for hauling hay bails.

I'd have a really hard time justifying $400 for the driveshaft though I would much prefer it.

I think I'm going to design and build a teflon collar for the driveshaft. It'll outlast the truck, lol.

BTW - Right now the only thing I'm going crazy trying to find is a sub $300 windshield.

I'll prolly breakdown and add comprehensive glass to my insurance, lol

If you go to earnies auto repair their is a guy that does drive lines... the only reason i paid 400 was because it was in California. You can probably get it cheaper here. I did my first one peice myself from a 85? nissan, I just had to shorten it. I don't know though with the long bed. second time I tried to mate two together and it blew up... all bad. took out the tank and that was a constant problem.

Well I traded my 1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe for this 1979 Datsun 620 with just over 100k miles.

Not a '79.

They do, just make sure you get a non-smog one (if you can)

The L20B intakes are slightly less restrictive than the earlier L16/18s. The there are no advantages to the L16/18 manifold except looks. L20B intakes are all 'smog' but this does not mean you have to use it. Just don't connect up the vacuum line to it and it does not work. You can even remove it but this can lead to leaks. Best just disconnect it.

The only L20B intakes that will fit and work are those from '78 through '80. "75-'77 and siamesed to the exhaust and are bolted to them.

Sierra Vista COOL! Back in 1979 we lived there, my dad bought a 79 2+2 280zx, and a 79 620 king cab 4X4 while we lived there. The 4X4 was sold in sheridan wyoming and later rolled and totaled by the 2nd owner.

The 280zx was traded in at stockton california around 1984 with only 30 k on the clock.

I've had the truck about 2 weeks and have spent the whole time scouring ratsun, hahaha.Seems like a tight community too. I'm always happy to see a good forum.

Just had the new tires put on. 185/65/14's so she creeped a little lower on the shorter rubber. Nothing worth posting more pics about but it's an improvement.

Now I just need to figure out all the rattles and such. Already had to modify the 2 piece driveshaft collar. At the new angle the shaft was hitting the collar :-/

How did you fix the collar?