Dale's 1972 1200 Coupe

AZ_L320

Just wanted to post a couple pictures of my new 1200. I bought the coupe out of OR. It's a low mileage car (43,500) with mostly original paint. The guy I bought it from was in his late 80's and he had bought the car when it had 1500 miles on it. I talked to him for a while over the phone, what a nice guy. Anyway, I had to have it shipped to Arizona and it arrived today. Thanks also to Doug (Morrisun) for discussing the car with me over the phone. Glad to have it. The condition is about what I expected, not a perfect show car, but pretty nice and SUPER original. This thing runs great! Glad to be a part of the 1200 gang.

Here are a few pics, some with my L320

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1391-1.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Dale - Arizona

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow so clean. Big congrats on that score!

Thanks fisch!

WOW!!! Very nice!! Love the collection you got goin!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Jayden71, thanks for the complements. As you can see I like the "stock" look.

thats a gorgeous 1200! i love the color. so clean too. im very jealous. the 1200 in any flavor is my favorite A-series powered datsun.

Josh_t, thanks man. I like the color of coupe too.

Pretty car. Glad it found a good home.

Driven, thanks! I'm glad I found it too. The 1200 coupes are one of my favorite datsuns, of course I would like one of everything!

So, are you gonna bring both to Williams for the Multi-State next year? Good looking coupe Dale, nice score.

Kelmo, I sure hope to. I liked the Williams event. Thanks man!

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been going really well on my newly acquired coupe. Been working on getting a few small things fixed. (And of course DRIVE'n it)

2) Changed oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter and put new plugs in it. (has some broken plugs but still ran)

2) No brake lights. it just the plastic pedal stopper that hits the brake light switch, easy fix, new one installed!

3) The A/T shifter was pretty sloppy. In fact so bad that it won't start in "park" and the parking "pawl" doesn't engage. I picked up 3 new bushings and installed the easiest one first, it was about 50% better. After doing the other 2 bushing it shifts like a new car! Starts in park and the parking pawl works like it should.

4) Drivers door sags enough to hit the striker hard. The lower hinge shows wear on the bushings, so I rebuilt the hinge. It went really smooth thanks to Mklotz's nice "How to" write up. After a little adjusting, the door now closes great.

5) This 1200 is running great! Only thing is, it cranks longer than I like when the engine is warm. It will start great on a cold start or on a restart after I just shut it off. However, if I let it sit for 10-15 minutes or longer then it cranks awhile before it starts. We adjusted the points (they are worn a bit) and put in decent spark plugs. I also adjusted the timing. But she still cranks longer than it should. Any suggestions on curing the the long crank time on a warm engine? Maybe points and condenser will cure the problem? Also thinking about going with a Pertronix.

Anyway, Just an update.

Dale

Refresh my memory, is that a later car with electric choke? If it is maybe the choke coil is closing and you are choking a warm engine. I highly recommend the Pertronix kit. Mine's been on for almost 7 years and probably 30K with zero issues.

Thanks guys. I checked the choke (yes, its electric) and it appears to be working fine. I ordered the Pertronix kit and should have it by the weekend. We'll see if that helps the warm starting condition.

Dale

Thanks guys. I checked the choke (yes, its electric) and it appears to be working fine. I ordered the Pertronix kit and should have it by the weekend. We'll see if that helps the warm starting condition.

Dale

If it has been sitting like it sounds ... if the carb is dirty/gummed up a little which it would be from sitting you can run a can of sea foam fuel conditioner ... stuff works great for cleaning varnish and light gumming of the carb interworkings .. if it still is doing the hard start after it is warm you might want to consider a rebuild..one tiny little passage plugged could be causing your issue... I am lookinng at coming up with a small TBI kit in the future ...and I mean far off like next summer but I really want better performance in cold weather were I live and better fuel economy so that is were I am going...hope this helps.

david

Thanks Kinetisist & ggzilla,

I did spray some carb cleaner down the carb while running. Might try some sea foam, however it runs super good without hesitation.

ggzilla, yea I tried opening the pedal while starting. I tried several positions from 1/4" to 1/2 throttle (says in the owners manual to use 1/2 throttle on warm start). It does seem to help with the pedal slightly open, but still cranks longer than I like. My Pertronix kit should be here today so I will try that by the weekend.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dale

• 1 month later...

Update.... pics of my wheels!

Some might remember that I bought a set of wheels for my 1200. I finally got around to putting on the center caps that I bought from DREWSDIME. I like the looks of these wheels for a change of pace. I'm keeping the original 12" steel wheels and hub caps so I can switch back and fourth as my mood changes. :lol:Ha..ha..

Anyway, just promised to post some pics, so here they are...

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

• Like 1

So what size are the wheels and tires? I want to go to that style wheel when I swap the zx struts and upsize to 15's. Awesome car. Show us some pics of the interior, pretty please! lol

Kelly2

Thanks Ranman72!

Hey Kelly2,

These are 13' wheels. I believe 13x6 or 13x6.5, I cant remember. The tires are P195/60R13.

Per request, here are some interior photos. Interior is dang near perfect except for a couple tears in the drivers seat.

Thanks

IMG_1380.jpg

int1.jpg

int3.jpg

int4.jpg

int5.jpg

trunk.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg