Crank bolt

Dataholic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use air impact gun. Failing that:

Engine in vehicle (Manual): Put in gear (1st or reverse), block wheels and set parking brake. Remove with 27mm socket on 18-inch or larger breaker bar.

Engine in vehicle, Automatic: You're screwed. Remove engine, then...

Engine out of vehicle, transmission attached: Remove transmission then...

Engine out of vehicle, transmission off: Remove clutch. Either use clutch mounting bolts (not recommended since they're small) or use flywheel mounting bolts (after removing flywheel) and a piece of bar stock to use as a wedging lever. Conversely (and better) you can bolt the bar stock to the crank flange and the top of the block (trans mount holes) to immobilize it.

Get piece of angle iron drill holes so it bolts to block over one piston get that piston on way up ..put 2x4( piece of wood ) between angle and piston,,bring piston up till 2x4 stops upward movement turn bolt.....

.profit

Well if the crank bolt is still on....would assume the TC, chain, tensioner etc are all in place.

Probably can't rotate it.

Impact....or socket/bar with someone jamming the flywheel with screwdriver.

In gear with emergency brake on...if the engine is still in vehicle

Sealick

I see what your thinking but i was thinking cutting the 2x4 length wise to fit ..but you would still need to rotate to make sure the piston is coming up and not away from you..

I was guessing that he was taking the front cover off because ( assuming here ) he dropped chain..Why else would you take crank bolt out..

Jamming the flywheel ring gear with a screwdriver or crowbar is a good way to break teeth off the flywheel. It sometimes works, but if the crank bolt has been on there for decades it generally doesn't come off easy.

Yeah....have to be careful.

I did it once....years ago....:D

I tried blocking the tires, in gear, e brake applied......still moved the truck when I tried to break the bolt loose.

Had no impact....so I had to use the flywheel method.

Never thought about kicking the engine over to break the bolt loose with the socket and bar stabilized to frame or ground.... :blink:

Someone was changing the head gasket and didn't block the chain and the tensioner fell out. Now they are trying to get the crank pulley off to get the timing cover off to find it.

That's what I figured also....

I hate when that happens. I took all precautions when blocking the chain but learned another. Put the transmission in neutral. When in gear, leaning against the body while wrenching can jostle the vehicle and bump the motor forward or back slightly. I was lucky and caught it before it was too late.

That tensioner, is the biggest PITA ever. I thought I'd be nifty and block the tensioner from above one time, yeah that failed. And let me tell you, there wasn't enough beer in the county to solve my anti-Datsun mood, after spending 3 hours attempting to get that stupid thing back in place. I finally grew up and pulled the cover, though. Which, I assume is where you're at.

My personal favorite is the good old trusty BFH. If you don't HAVE a BFH, use a nice deadblow and see if that knocks it loose.

If you can't get that to work, do as many others have suggested. Put it in gear and apply the ebrake. If you have a buddy, have him/her stomp on the brakes while you do it.

If it turns out to be a royal supreme bizzie, grab a torque wrench and see just how hard she's on there. Pics as proof!

PS avoid the license plate. They're sharper when that bolt breaks loose. ;)

When you put the transmission into gear, put it in fourth gear. it is one to one ratio, and does not multiply the torque you are applying to the crankshaft. Additionally, inside the transmission, it does not apply stress to the cluster gear.

One way to possibly break the crankshaft bolt loose is to put a wrench that fits snugly on the crankshaft bolt, and rest the wrench on part of the frame, and secure it there. Tie it down, duct tape it, or whatever works. Then briefly crank the engine. This is best done with the head still on the engine, but we are beyond that.

• 1 month later...

So I'm in the process of breaking my crank bolt loose as well and have been unsuccessful, I have really put a lot of torque but am still unable to loosen the bolt, even broke a ratchet that was too small for this application. I'm wondering if I've taken the head, water pump, distributor, and oil pump off, if it would be a terrible idea to do what was explain in the post above, to briefly turn the motor? Thanks.

If the chain is still down there, I would not turn it by the starter. It will come out. Get a breaker bar on it. Put the truck in 4th, and pull on it hard. My method is to put my 1/2in craftsman ratchet on it and smack the ratchet with a hammer. About the second or third blow it gives way.

I had the same problem....had to remove the crank bolt after the TC was wedged, basically didn't want to turn the engine over.

Pulled starter, placed a thin pry bar between flywheel and bell housing, then pivoted, just some slight pressure to hold the flywheel in place.

Doesn't take much leverage.

Also had trannie in 4th gear

Long pipe on socket wrench.....good snap.....done