Headlights Not working right.

well my headlights come on but only the passenger side light is bright and all the other three are dim. then when i turn on the brights the the passenger light stays on and the passenger bright gets really bright and the other lights are dim.

I bought a new fuse box today [used] and used that one as well but when I use that I get the exact opposite reaction. I have a feeling its a ground wire somewhere but where is the ground for the headlights?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wiring diagram for a Datsun Sedan, or Station Wagon with a manual transmission. My manual is for 1970, and 1971. They appear to be switched at the ground. Consider that possibility when you are troubleshooting your lights.

Power from the fuse block goes to all four headlights. The headlight relay controls which set of lamps, or filaments in the lamps are then connected to the light switch, and after the light switch, power is allowed to return to ground.

look at the wires on the light switch. A green wire with a blue stripe, and a green wire with a white stripe are for the parking lights, and side marker lights. The other two wires are red, with a yellow stripe, and black. The red/yellow wire goes to the headlight relay, the black wire goes to ground, or as it is labled in the diagram "body earth".

The coil for the headlight relay gets its power from the parking light circuit, and is grounded by the turn signal switch. One set of contacts in the relay goes to the main beam headlights, and the other set of contacts goes to the low beam headlights

What are the wire colors at the headlight brite relay? It helps to know what harness your car has. 510's are a pain since there are 3 different headlight systems. Sounds like it could be a dirty relay, when was the car last on the road? It may have some electolisis in the relay contacts. Its odd that it switches from one side to the other when you swap fuse boxes.... I fixed so many I should have this shit memorized!