she lives!

I finally got my white 510 running. This is the one w/ the Z22 block, the L20b crank, early Z22 pistons, late Z22 rods, L18 A87 head, and shadbolt cam.

In any event, it runs. I have a lot of tuning to do with the carburetor, and I've got some leaks here and there (in fact, I might need to yank the whole front cover and reseal it... boo!), but I can keep it running.

This is the first engine I've ever built, having turned every bolt in it... and it's been an adventure. Once I actually drive it, I'll get some video and post it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...dash? haha... what dash?

seriously, though - getting the engine running has been priority #1. I've got about three wires to run the whole thing, and they're being held by aligator clips and a jumper cable right now. I haven't given any though to the interior at all.

Brakes and clutch bled, as of about 15 minutes ago... and I've had seats for a while.

I got the engine to run nice and smooth, but only at higher revs... the car can barely hold an idle. I'll have to tweak around with the idle screw until I can set it high enough to deal with the big lumpy cam.

Tomorrow, I'm going to actually do the wiring, so I can start the car from inside. So far, I've been using the old screwdriver technique and actuating the throttle by hand. I had to make a custom throttle linkage since I didn't have one available. If the weather holds up tomorrow, I may drive the car around the block. I have to wait for good weather since the car has no windows and no rear window seal (so I have to take the rear glass out every time I'm going to drive it)...

fun fun fun. Man, once I get the rpms up, the car sounds so good. I have no exhaust pipe after the header, so it gets kind of loud. I've been wearing ear muffs each time I run it. haha...

WOO HOO!!! I drove the car around the block today! Man, oh man. It drives like crap at the moment, since I have a vacuum leak at the carb, and I still need to tune it properly. I've ordered a new gasket set to make sure I don't have any other vacuum leaks, and I'm considering taking the front cover off and putting it back on after sealing it up really good, since I have a couple of small oil leaks.

But yeah. It runs! I'll take some pictures tomorrow and get a video of me driving around in it. I also have to weld together an exhaust pipe, since my exhaust gases are being dumped into the engine bay at the header.

Sounds good, man.

You don't have any stock throttle linkages, do you? My fabbed one works, but it's not perfect. Also, I ended up welding up my own engine mount bracket (not perfect either), but that'll do just fine, I'm sure. fun fun fun.

I gave the last of my stock linkage to Slodat, I will check around just to make sure :D

Let me know if you still need linkage,I believe I have stock one here. Gary......

Thanks -- I fabbed one up that works perfectly now, so no need anymore. I appreciate it, though.

I planned on getting some pictures and video today, but since I didn't end up working on it at all, it didn't happen. I spent about six hours last night working on an exhaust system, and have to go back and cut/weld a few more parts. I want to get the exhaust done before I drive it around my neighborhood -- I don't feel like having my neighbors call the noise police on me. It's pretty loud...

Quiet exhaust is nice, that way you can hear other "important" noises, which can be worrisome on the freeway :D I guess that will still be a while, soon than you think at the rate you are going these days.

Well, my mother-in-law is leaving town Saturday, which is going to bring a screeching hault to my progress on my 510. She's in town because my wife and I just had our third baby two weeks ago, and she's around to help my wife watch the kids. Next week, my wife is going to be stuck at home to watch three kids (a 3-year old, a 1.5-year old, and a newborn baby) on her own while I'm at work, and I'm pretty sure she's not going to be too keen on letting me work out in the garage as soon as I come home.

Boo.

I'll try to go back to my before-we-had-this-last-baby days, and get up at 5 a.m. and work on my car while everybody is still sleeping, but since *I'm* not getting any sleep with this new baby in the house, it might be a while before I decide that waking up that early is worth it.

In other news, I ordered a set of SUs for cheap, so I've got a stock carb and intake, if anybody needs one.

• 4 weeks later...

I started tinkering with the SU carbs today after Jeff dropped off a spare L18 for me (for trade for a 510 front clip). Man... taking things apart is sure easier than putting them back together. I managed to free up a spring that kept binding up on one of the throttle plate actuators, but I was a little worried I wasn't going to be able to put it back together.

I need to get a couple of return springs so the throttle doesn't stay wide open... but after that, I should be good to go.

Oh, yeah -- the gasket set I picked up on ebay turned out to be the wrong year. They sent me a 64-68 311 set, which won't fit. Ugh. Rotton. Hopefully they'll send me the right set soon.

• 1 month later...

SHE LIVES AGAIN!

Everybody in my neighborhood (and probably the two adjoining neighborhoods) is now aware that my car is running. That's what happens when you run WOT with a header that's dumping exhaust into the engine bay, on account of not having hooked up the exhaust yet.

It's loud.

I still have a bit of tuning to do -- it won't hold an idle yet... it won't run smooth until I open it up really wide. While that's fun, it's not desirable for regular driving.

Anyhow, I had a few adventures this morning before I got the engine running. I mistakenly connected the coolant line to a port that apparently wasn't meant for coolant - I flooded my two rear pistons with coolant, and that took a while to clear out. Also, I failed to clamp down one of my other coolant lines, which resulted in the hose popping off and sending coolant 20 feet into the air. I guess my water pump works.