Nissan 350/270z brakes on Datsun 510??

SSSEXXX

Okay, so I have been researching this week for my Datsun 510 build project and trying to do a better job of planning out the build. I have already begun work on my sr20det engine and just wanted to make sure I had a budget, a plan, and got it down on paper.

In this process I started thinking about suspension. I had intended on going the 280 strut route + coilovers so that I did not have to weld the perches or find someone to do it. This project is about doing as much of the work as I can myself and learning. That being said, I was beginning to wonder if anyone has taken the OEM struts, hubs, rotots, and brakes from a Nissan 350z or 370z and fitted them on a Datsun 510? The brakes come powder coated, are a nice upgrade in rotor size and I believe they may even be made by Brembo. If I could pick them up for $250 per corner like I think I may be able to, how much fabrication do you think will be involved to get them to mount???

I know the 280 option brings in the stance too, so I would have to know what the newer Z models would do with that too.

Just wanted to test the waters. You guys would have a better idea of where to look than I would. I searched, but came up empty.

Thank you for your help!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've done the 350 front calipers + rotors but retain the stock hubs & struts

(do you want to go to 5bolt or something?)

i got my calipers free, but they are singlepiston from a standard 350

i went that route (not just because they were free) but they still fit inside 15" wheel

if you're doing 16"-17" then you could do the twinpiston or brembo

What size wheels do you plan on running?

Options on struts and brakes:

stock with troy ermish wilwood package (Not sure on size vented)

280zx with zx vented brakes (10 inch vented)

280zx with arizona z car wilwood brakes (12.2 inch vented)

200sx (V6) with z32 brakes (11.75 vented)

280z with toyota pickup 4 piston front brakes (11 inch non vented)

I personally have the last option with porterfield r4-s pads.

If any of my info is wrong please feel free to correct me.

-Colton

No interest in particular to going 5 lug verus 4 lug... was just thinking about saving a few dollars and getting a high performance brake package with a nice powder coated finish out of the gate. Maybe dreaming a bit, but wanted to test the waters...

If I had my choice I would go with nothing bigger than 16x7 and 16x8 Watanabe rs-8s in the 4 lug pattern. After doing a lot of reading, I am pretty sure I will ulimately go the 280zx + coilovers route and then figure brakes out later.

280zx struts are not easy to find in SoCal or at least I certainly do not know where to look.

Thank you guys for the input.

300zx 4 pistons seem more feasible/obtainable given that a budget is in place.

Having parts powder coated is cheap.

If you're coating enough parts, you can buy your own set-up too.

American companies have already been mentioned...

But check on what some is the Aussies are doing to.

Www.maddat.com

www.datsport.com

I really like Datsport and have heard great things about them, but man their pricing (once you factor in shipping to the states) can get a little bit high. I am legitimately considering their 510 sr20det crossmember because it allows you to use stock s13 motor mounts, which I already have.

• 2 weeks later...

The G37/370Z run 19" wheels stock. I wonder if they require 18's just to clear the brakes! Heavy car, heavy wheels, heavy brakes... You guys really don't need those for a 2300 pounds sedan.

The last time I checked, Brembos for the 350Z were running about $1500 for a set used. 350Z guys like them because they are a bolt-on upgrade. You can consider Wilwood fronts and 280ZX rear brakes for less than that. That also keeps you with a 4-lug.

280zx struts are not easy to find in SoCal or at least I certainly do not know where to look.

Thank you guys for the input.

Pick a Part. Should find them in any self pull yard in So Cal.

First, why would you want such humongous brakes on the 510? The 280ZX, while not as sexy, have more than enough stopping power for 90% of the guys out there. The Z32 setup, which I have, is already overkill. Anything more is just excess, and probably a waste of money.

Also, from an engineering standpoint, it's not as much the caliper that gives better stopping power and control, it's the diameter of the rotor. The larger the rotor, the more leverage and control you have.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I am surprised not more people are trying the rx7 4 pots, you can find them in a junkyard and rebuild them or get them for about 50-60 bucks at the auto store. Cheaper than z32's and can use with 11" rotors. Toyota 4 pots are heavy.

• Like 1

On a 2,000 pound car? The stockers are ... adequate. My Maxima brakes (assuming the zx are as good) are superb! And this is on a 710 goon which probably weighs as much as a 510 goon... so 2,300/2,400 lbs. Anything larger would just lock up easier.

• Like 1

yes, i think zx's are superb! and I agree with you datzenmike. But it's just more fun to put some bigger brakes on there just for the heck of it! Thats assuming one has extra time and some fab skills/ and or extra money.

On a 2,000 pound car? The stockers are ... adequate. My Maxima brakes (assuming the zx are as good) are superb! And this is on a 710 goon which probably weighs as much as a 510 goon... so 2,300/2,400 lbs. Anything larger would just lock up easier.

Some people do want to drive their cars more aggressively.... can't go wrong with bigger brakes.

My buddy was at Thunderhill yesterday. He has an RX7 with those exact calipers. Running R compound tires and Hawk HP+ pads, he said he could only use like half of his braking power before the tires would lock up. Imagine those calipers in a lighter car... you'd never have brake issues at the track ;) He has an extra set laying around actually.. I think I'm gonna snag those and throw them on my 510 with some custom brackets.