sd22 620 ??

Beau

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if anyone has done a sd22 swap in a 620. I have an 81 sd22 720 that I am getting tomorrow. Any help would be awsome.

As datzenmike said, I would transfer the 620 cab/box onto the 81 frame if possible, is it a 81 datsun kingcab or regular cab 720? I have never measured the 620 frames to see if it is possible, if the wheel base(front to back) is within an inch, I would transfer everything including the 720 wiring harness and all componets, the thing is, I always use the 720 columns, or at least the signal/headlight/wiper/4 ways hardware on my 521-20 swaps, it is so much easier for me, than re-inventing a wiring harness. When I use the 720 diesel wiring harness, the only thing I have to integrate into the 720 harness is the instrument gauge cluster. Charlie69 also did it, but he went way deeper into it. There is a lot involved, but I really like my 69 datsun 521 kingcab SD series diesel truck, it isn't paticularly fast, but it gets good milage. I did use a stepside box though, you will need to do some measuring.

DSCN0522.jpg

I put sd 22 into a 1968 520 and i love it.The truck is getitng 35-40 mpg and the sd hauls that little truck around quite well. If you have any questions just ask.

2011-08-06104931.jpg

tske s look at my builf thread below if you want to see whats involved in the swap.

the 81 is a king cab. I agree on putting the 620 on the 720frame. how ever I wont know which would be easier to swap. I will know a great deal more this afternoon. I love the sd22 motor. it was the same truck I used to drive in highschool and Wayno your right. not fast but awsome on mileage. also can runn on 100% veggie oil.

Bout time you started a build thread.

I'm gonna be helping with this build while mine is in limbo. I'm a bit of a bad influence. Cab swaps seem to be my specialty. Unfortunately, the 620 single cab going onto the 720 KC frame would have a large space between the bed and cab. I've been trying to come up with a decent solution. I could shorten the frame for Beau, and then have a shop shorten the drive shaft. Swapping the drive train would mean we'd have to run it with the king pin front end, or cut both front ends apart and weld the 720 stuff onto the 620 frame. Seems like more work and we'd really like to save both frames.

Back when I did the 620 onto the hardbody KC frame, I just ran it with the gap between the bed and cab. I was planning to build a roll bar to fill the space before I totalled it.

Like Beau said, we're going to get his '81 from Louisiana this evening and we will know alot more once we get some hard measurements.

honestly, id just swap the engine into the 620 frame.

all this cab swap stuff is way too intensive for a ratsun, in my eyes.

in any case, i have done a gas to diesel swap in a chevy luv once.

we used the later model c223 isuzu diesel, from a later model luv, and just bolted it in. the wiring for the glow plug controller was the only tricky part.

later on we also turboed it also.. still got 40+ mpg and would get em loose in 2nd. fun stuff.... lol

oh yeah, if your gonna swap the engine into the 620, swap the 3rd member from the 720 into the 620 rear end. the diesel won't like the 437s...

Thing is, the 720 has better brakes and everything else too. Just the body is roached. Aparently, there's a tree growing through it. I haven't seen it yet as it's at Beau's Dad's house in Louisiana.

The 620 is repairable, but he needs a truck in a bad sorta way, so we were looking at the fastest possible solution on a very Ratsun budget. Plan is to do the swap and then build up the l20b at our leisure.

I have thought about the 620 brakes and through reading posts and what Rhap has told me, the easiest way would be to swap driveline and then do a bolt on disc conversion. As to the motors performance; evidently they still make these engines new as power plant for remote locations in Aussie-land. Ii also read that a wrx turbo could be added for the additional boost but my main concern is getting the thing road worthy with a quuickness. once Rhap gets done with his honey-does we'll be on our way to rescue my truck with the tallow tree in it

first off Rhap there is no such thing of voodoo when it comes to 12 volts. however a DATFINITY is by far THE version of a voodoo child. Cahoon thanks for the offer and I will be hitting you up on the help. thanks to you and all who are helping me with this project that will show all the new hybrid's mpgs that you dont have to add a battery that leaves a bigger carbon footprint than a hummer H2.

Got the truck home. Couldn't find the key to try and crank it. It started in 08ish,so chances are good that some maintenance will start it again. Body is as described ... reached. Drinking and being creative with build ideas.

Time for munchies and bed. Tomorrow will tell more.

the 81 is a king cab. I agree on putting the 620 on the 720frame. how ever I wont know which would be easier to swap. I will know a great deal more this afternoon. I love the sd22 motor. it was the same truck I used to drive in highschool and Wayno your right. not fast but awsome on mileage. also can runn on 100% veggie oil.

ALL injector pump manufacturers say NO MORE than a 15% mix of veggie oil.

ALL injector pump manufacturers say NO MORE than a 15% mix of veggie oil.

That very well may be, but people do it everyday, I bought a canadian spec. 720 diesel truck that was running 100% veggie oil, except for start up and shut down, the thing I worried about when buying it was the fact that to run veggie oil it has to be heated to at least 160 degrees before it enters the injection pump, I was wondering what that type of heat would do to the pump internals. The engine turned out to be gutless for a SD25, it had no more power than a SD22 if it had that much. I still have gallons of veggie oil I removed from the tank. It's a lot of work/effort to run bio fuels if you do it yourself.

I have had a many diesel motors and the only ones I have had issues with where ford and chevy. I live in southeast texas so the warmer isn't really necessary unless it is winter ( if there is such a thing down here). There are additives you can add to the fuel to keep it from gelling, but the big ticket is that it WILL go rancid in about 4 months if not used. Most of the parts to filter the veggie oil can be bought at your local pool supply house for around 200 bucks. However, if you get a good supplier you end up paying about 1.15 USD for a gallon of end product. If you have any synthetic rubber in your fuel line it will eat it up like xylene to styrofoam.

I have had a many diesel motors and the only ones I have had issues with where ford and chevy. I live in southeast texas so the warmer isn't really necessary unless it is winter ( if there is such a thing down here). There are additives you can add to the fuel to keep it from gelling, but the big ticket is that it WILL go rancid in about 4 months if not used. Most of the parts to filter the veggie oil can be bought at your local pool supply house for around 200 bucks. However, if you get a good supplier you end up paying about 1.15 USD for a gallon of end product. If you have any synthetic rubber in your fuel line it will eat it up like xylene to styrofoam.

I don't use the veggie oil, I removed all the veggie stuff that was there and had to re-pipe the fuel filter system back to stock. The engine ran good, just no power which I am unsure of why, and the mileage wasn't that good either, I am thinking that the veggie oil did hurt the injection pump, or it could be that the truck weighs more because I added so much weight when I lengthened it, I made it a kingcab, longbox, dually diesel truck, the same engine in my 521 has way more power, but it isn't moving near as much weight. I am a lot happier with the 521 diesel, but I suspect that it being a 521 is the reason.

Or make biodiesel in your backyard. I know a guy who makes it for him and his 2 friends. They all group up and pay to get costs down. You dont need a warmer, you dont need different filters, you dont need different fuel lines. And you have fuel at home at all times.

And if you have a car like my friends rabbit with a extra tank, you get like 1400 miles per fill up.

Yes he did. You'll have to read his build treads. Wayno does awesome work and has several datto projects under his belt. All look like they could've come from the factory that way until you realize that they're mods he came up with.

Wayno what truck did you do all of these mods to? I am thinking that sounds like it would be awsome for my truck,. wouldn't that be a different truck a dually long bed 620?

This is steriods truck, he has done a lot to this project.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/12236-severance-day-not-what-you-think/page__view__findpost__p__179716__hl__steriod__fromsearch__1

duallyWCN3.jpg

duallyWCN2.jpg

duallyWCN1.jpg

I am not sure what mods you are talking about, i have two diesel trucks, a 1980 datsun 720 kingcab/longbox dually diesel, and a 1969 datsun 521 kingcab diesel truck. What mods specificly are you interested in?