How much Por15 should I buy ?

Dice T

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to coat the inside and the outside of my 240z's floor pan in Por15. How much should I get?

Once everbody's off work this will turn into a pro/con debate at near lightspeed, so I'll skip the paintshop lecture for today (rather busy)~ you'll get enuff of that later. Just be sure to seperate opinion from fact, and take said opinions with a grain of salt....

The Cliffnotes version~ a gallon for each, inside and out.

Peace~

Scott

Grain of salt my friend. Lets not turn this into a debate... What he said. A gallon of it seems like too much for just pans. Where's the facts??? It's all OPINION!!! I've used their ... Read it...system. I must say It was a terrible waste of money. Works on well on rust not clean metal.

Grain of salt my friend. Lets not turn this into a debate... What he said. A gallon of it seems like too much for just pans. Where's the facts??? It's all OPINION!!! I've used their ... Read it...system. I must say It was a terrible waste of money. Works on well on rust not clean metal.

huh?

Think it could have been a prep issue? details young sir!!

Call them and ask what coverage is.Bedliner underneath is NOT a good idea.

Please explain? I've yet to see a reason why its not a good one if applied properly and over proper surface, not trying to prove you wrong or anything I'm just curious.

As for the POR15 even if you don't use bedliner I'd really suggest some kind of coat over it to help protect it.

I used the Por15 sample kit to the the floor pans of my 620, just the area forward of the seat, not under the seat. Was just the right amount for that.

Stuff is still holding up really well after three or four years too. I would gladly use this stuff again.

Please explain? I've yet to see a reason why its not a good one if applied properly and over proper surface, not trying to prove you wrong or anything I'm just curious.

As for the POR15 even if you don't use bedliner I'd really suggest some kind of coat over it to help protect it.

Sunlight is what kills POR.HOPEFULLY,the bottom of your car will never see sunlight.But having said that,painting right before it is dry(when it's still a bit tacky) is a good idea).

Bed liner:My interior floor is going to be sprayed(as soon as the guy gets his nutso quote lower)Underneath,there are too many little noks & crannies that bedliner will NOT reach into.But POR sprayed or stuffed with a brush will.If rust gets going under bedliner,you will not know it untill it's too late.In the unlikely event that it(rust) gets under the POR,you will still be able to see it and correct it.

Iv used POR15 on my floor pans and as long as you have good prep work there should be no problems.

lulz dont get it on your hands tho, isnt going to come off for a week or two :lol:

Acetone or Berrymans carb cleaner will tak it off while still sorta wet.

Phil what does that stuff cost that keeper uses on floor pans? About every complaint Ive ever heard about por15 went without explanation or the person failed to prep properly. So if POR15 is not good what is good? Why is it better? Does it encapsulate rust, or is it for clean metal only? Not too many Datsuns are going to have clean floor pans so that last part is pretty much irrelevant but is still good to know. So if you use POR15 follow directions to the T, prep very well and paint over it and you will have done better than 99% of the people who have used it and complain.

Be careful with the por15 the thing with the por15 is it really works best over rust and doesn't work well over non rusted metal so if your going to go with por15 buy the metal ready and leave it on longer than recommended the metal ready leave a zinc coating on the metal and gives the por15 something to bit onto even when following the directions to a "T" it still doesn't work over bare metal very well if your floor pan is clean use under coating it just like por15 its non porous just like por15 and doesn't let water get to the metal under neath or ironclad that's what the510keeper uses but it take a long time to cure

Sunlight is what kills POR.HOPEFULLY,the bottom of your car will never see sunlight.But having said that,painting right before it is dry(when it's still a bit tacky) is a good idea).

Bed liner:My interior floor is going to be sprayed(as soon as the guy gets his nutso quote lower)Underneath,there are too many little noks & crannies that bedliner will NOT reach into.But POR sprayed or stuffed with a brush will.If rust gets going under bedliner,you will not know it untill it's too late.In the unlikely event that it(rust) gets under the POR,you will still be able to see it and correct it.

UV exposure is what does the most damage, but I also have found por15 isn't as strong as claimed when I layed a coat down following instructions. I also said to por15 then bedline, I used that combo myself as it seemed the best idea.

• 2 months later...

I did a thread on a product called Masterseries Silver ages ago. My bro-in law who professionally restores classics swears by it.

The last time I read the literature on it, it claims to be sunlight stable. I have used it, and I have no complaints at all. Check it out if you are looking to try something other than Por 15.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3247-stop-that-rust/