New life for my 1200

Well, seems I have a self imposed problem.

2706708220070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Sold the engine/trans out of my 1200 last week to a fellow member. Decided on a newer engine to swap into her.

2326462980070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

1994 Miata 1.8 BP engine w/ an automatic (I prefer autos FWIW) with 160k on the clock. Picked it up for 1K and drove it home an hour and a half and it ran great. Also got 15 years worth of service records so I pretty confident this is a solid drivetrain even with somewhat high miles. The plan is to drop the engine/trans into the 1200 and sell of the body to recoup some of the cash outlay. Or maybe I should keep it and swap in a LS1! :hyper: Anyways, probably going to yank the engine next week and start the process of the swap. Only thing that worries me right now is the size of the trans tunnel. Don't really want to mess with that if I can avoid it.

Mark

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the man to hit up is Bob3

hes the resident expert in mazda to datto swaps (look up the "MX520")

Well, not going to the extreme like he did. Just a simple motorset swap, not a whole suspension and motorset.

Subscribed X 2. Was that car orignially a Std trans? the tunnel looks small...just wonderin

Yes, original standard, and it is small.

Mark

Those motor shipped to your house are less than a thousand with trans and ecu and harnes, ive ben lookung into the motor and it seams to have a great fan base, my 2 pennies, sell the miata and get the import low mile package with the profits,

Im watching this one for shure go go go

Those motor shipped to your house are less than a thousand with trans and ecu and harnes, ive ben lookung into the motor and it seams to have a great fan base, my 2 pennies, sell the miata and get the import low mile package with the profits,

Im watching this one for shure go go go

I prefer to do it this way for a few reasons,

1) I know it is a running engine, with no electrical issues. I know everything is there to make it run. The benefit of this particular one is I have almost all service records since new, so I am not worried about the mileage. PO actually just had the timing belt and water pump (among other things) replaced about 10k ago, saving a few $$$$ there.

2) I can probably sell off/part out the rolling chassis for at least $500, if not more, making the "true" cost about $500. That is about what a motor only goes for.

Mark

I prefer to do it this way for a few reasons,

1) I know it is a running engine, with no electrical issues. I know everything is there to make it run. The benefit of this particular one is I have almost all service records since new, so I am not worried about the mileage. PO actually just had the timing belt and water pump (among other things) replaced about 10k ago, saving a few $$$$ there.

2) I can probably sell off/part out the rolling chassis for at least $500, if not more, making the "true" cost about $500. That is about what a motor only goes for.

Mark

good point, I thought youd be cutting the harness out making it hard to ditch the shell

can you take pics of the miata all around. im interested in the shell after you remove the engine and tranny. i live about three hours from you. i use to 4 wheel there a lot there in holister.

Started the process of killing the Miata. :lol: Got it mostly unbolted and hope to yank it this coming weekend. Spending some time this week tracing out the wiring. The Miata, I found out, does not have a "standalone" type harness. It is integrated into the main harness, making this task a little bit harder as I have to cut the fuel injection wires out of the main harness. Going to be soldering wire back together for a while. :frantics:

Mark

• 1 month later...

I had pulled the Miata motor out like a month ago and checked the fit in the 1200 and was not all that pleased. I decided to step back and check some other options. After considering some other engines, including going back to an A series, I finally decided to go ahead and get this done with the Mazda. It will not be a drop in conversion, and will require a fair bit of fabrication, but it should turn out to be pretty nice when all is said and done. (I hope :huh: ) Here is the motor/trans as pulled,

2313177620070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2745764660070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

There was no way the trans was going to fit in the tunnel, so with a deep breath and a cut off disc in the die grinder, I prep the tunnel by scraping off the tar paper. (look, no rust! :P )

2468010870070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Kinda hard to turn back now.

2771931590070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2368642720070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Still need to do a little more minor trimming to the tunnel to clear the dipstick tube and cooler lines. Looks like the trans will clear the steering linkage, but I will need to find (ideally) a mid sump pan. A front sump will most likely require a custom sway bar, so I hope to avoid that. Going to obviously need to do a custom trans and motor mounts once I sort the oil pan issue. Probably going to have to relocate the battery to the drivers side also. The intake takes a lot of the room there.

Mark

• 3 months later...

It's still progressing, slowly. Got a pan from a Protoge' that clears the crossmember, fabbed up new motor mount brackets on the crossmember, and am in the process of modifying the extension housing to accept a trans mount as the Miata does not have one per se' and I can not find an interchange. Radiator is my next pressing issue. The BP engines look pretty compact until you try stuffing it into a 1200 bay. :lol: Fear not, it will be back on the road as I hope to take this to Canby this year. I have owned her for over 15 years and she's going nowhere. Of all the cars I have, this would be the last to go. Oh, and I thank you Mike for the kind words. :thumbup:

Mark

• 4 weeks later...