John's 4 door 510

I just have no luck with brakes. Went over everything again and found it was leaking where the reservoir meets the master cylinder because the ring that holds it together didn't work. Pulled it off, cleaned it up, got a new (old) ring dealy and now it holds. Bled again and found that the hardline from the proportioning valve/junction thing to the driverside front wheel is leaking. Gotta get some line and ends and make a new one. Really hope it isn't that hard seeing as I've never bent brake lines before.

Speaking of brakes, on my gf's jimmy, the hardline that runs to the passenger side front tire is also borked. Gotta do that too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Todays was the car's big day out. We went and got an exhaust put on!

Then I got pulled over. Also, the car is staying the night at teh muffler shop.

OK. What happened? Why did you get pulled over? Impersonating a police car?

How did it feel driving it?

OK. What happened? Why did you get pulled over? Impersonating a police car?

How did it feel driving it?

On my way home from the shop all the electricity in the car just cuts out. I'm probably an 1/8th of a mile from the shop. I turn myself around and as I'm pulling into the shop's lot there's a cop behind me. He notifies me that I had no lights on. I tried to tell him that everything cut out. Trust me, I would have had my lights on if I had them.

Aside from all that the car was great fun to drive. Just gotta get it home and figure out wtf happened.

• 2 months later...

My lack of having any electricity might be attributable to a dead alternator. Here's to hoping that my new alt will keep that from ever happening again. Still gotta find out what caused the traces on my gauge cluster to burn tho. Since my last update I have:

Gotten new brake lines (soft)

Replaced a decent portion of the brake hardlines

Replaced my clutch lines with a one-piece stainless steel braided clutch line (thanks for the idea Dave)

Ordered a new alternator (should be here wed)

Put my new wheels on (still need to get tires)

Shitty pic, dirty garage:

0221011859.jpg

Hopefully my alt will fix my electrical quirk and I can go about putting the inside back together and start actually driving the thing. Oh, and another lil project I'm doing for the car is replacing the locks. Currently re-keying some door/trunk locks so that I can use the key that came with my steering column/ignition switch. It's going to be nice to have just one key for the car.

• 11 months later...

Been a long time since I've done anything major to the car. But last week I dropped off my 280zx rear disk brake brackets with a buddy to finish welding up for me. Tomorrow I'm going to fastenal to pick up my split shaft collars so I can swap to the 280zx stuff on the fronts.

So not a big update but tomorrow I'm going to pick up by rear caliper brackets from my buddy and once I have all that stuff on I'm going to tackle routing the e-brake cables and mount the 280zx e-brake handle.

Have the modified 280zx front on but I still need to get brake pads and rotors (just to show that they are in fact on the car):

2012-02-09_11-09-47_81.jpg

Those are ebay/swapmeet coils I've had in my possession for years. Gave my buddy a phone and he gave me these, I think he was gonna use them on his prizm. The springs are real short so I'm probably going to buy longer ones in the near future. Those are being held up by some split shaft collars that I got from a local fastenal.

Found some window visors on a 720kc at the jy the other day and decided I'd get em:

2012-02-08_21-23-14_819.jpg

I think with the brackets in place and a slight bend they'll fit pretty damn well. Either that or I sell em.

And lastly, I did manage to get the bulb holding portion of the US ellipsoids onto the Euro lens portion. But if I keep them like this I'll either need to make some little mounting brackets of plastic weld the 2 halves together:

2012-02-09_16-54-28_909.jpg

2012-02-09_16-55-14_952.jpg

A little cutout for the city light/turn signal:

2012-02-09_16-55-53_946.jpg

Not entirely sure if I'm going to stick with the mishmashed headlights or if I'm going to just buy some H1 hid bulbs for them. Taking them apart and then putting them together was a lot easier than I expected it to be. Securing the two halves together is the only part I haven't done since I'm not sure which route I want to take.

• 2 months later...

Finally got my ZX brakes situated. Front struts have some cheapo coils I've had kicking around for a couple years held on by those handy clamps that have been mentioned before. New rotors, new pads, and refreshed calipers. Rears from an 82 ZX mounted with some brackets that I bought from Compression via the realm. I don't think he really makes those so much as he does the Maxima or 200sx brackets but I could be wrong. Had to cut some material from it as well as file some of the mounting holes to make it fit right. After getting them welded up I had to file a little bit more for the caliper mounting holes but they fit and work. New rotors and pads for those as well, need to get a rebuild kit for the driver side (formerly passenger side on the donor car) since there is a little hole in the rubber part that goes around the piston. I need to drill out the holes the ebrake cables went through to fit the ZX ebrake cables but for the time being the cables are mounted and so is the ebrake handle. I'm using ss braided front lines from a 240sx for the lines going to the rear calipers. All in all brakes feel great.

I also replaces the worn and leaky stock filler neck with a neck from a mid 90's jimmy. I no longer leak a ton of gas on left turns. I seem to get better mileage now since I'm not losing it all to evaporation and spilling over the side of the car.

Then today my starter crapped out.

Grabbed a starter from a Stanza today. Just finished putting it in. Car fired right up no problem. Looks like I'm gonna be able to drive it around this weekend.

• 1 year later...

Can't believe that it's been so long since I've updated. Not much has changed. I did swap out those mystery coils for some stiffer hyperco springs. Along with that I replaced the strut cartridges (old ones were DEAD) and got some camber plates. I managed to get the e-brake semi-functional, with a little more fiddling I'm sure I can get them to work correctly. I went back to the stock 240sx ecu from the stanza one since I've ditched the idea of chipping it because this happened:

2013-02-07_12-43-10_795.jpg

Then I cleaned it off and re-did all the gaskets:

2013-03-21_17-03-49_664.jpg

And I picked these up:

2013-03-28_17-41-47_850.jpg

With use of the local junkyards I was able to get connector ends and make a conversion/jumper harness to run a 91-94 ecu on a 95+ ka24de. I also made sure to wire in consult support. Connected to the ecu through a consult cable to the laptop and seems to be working. Just gotta get all that in the car now.

And the day before we headed out to the SPEC 510 meet I got my new pride and joy, a Grip Royal wood grain wheel, which I didn't expect to get for another month or so:

2013-05-20_14-11-25_679.jpg

At SPEC 510 I picked up a 620 heater valve to repair the borked one in the 510. So that and the swap are the next things on the list. After the swap I plan on getting a MUCH quieter exhaust system as well as installing carpet. Then if I'm feeling up to it, a paintjob.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Doot de doo

IMG_20130629_131424_363.jpg

Oh

IMG_20130629_153349_676.jpg

That's better

IMG_20130629_214833_965.jpg

Only took me about 8 hours working by my lonesome. Having a load leveler would have been nice. I opted to not use the s14 transmission because I found bits of metal just hanging out where the shifter is

IMG_20130629_142830_975.jpg

The transmission that was in the car with the single cam stayed under the car on jackstands. Getting that back on shouldn't take long at all. Just gotta plug everything in and give power to my relays and I should be able to fire it up. If I'm lucky I'll be able to do that tomorrow and later in the week I can get my exhaust sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine is verified as working! Sounds pretty gnarly with just the hotshot header and a hole where I had to remove one of the o2 bungs. Need to get coolant line and some caps to block the vacuum stuff and hide the wiring. So far a success. I need to find a spot where I can hide my consult connector. My consult unit is going to stay plugged into the port on the harness and I'll just plug in the usb wire when the fancy strikes me. Need another throttle cable too. The sohc cable is a hair short and the dohc is too long.

• 2 weeks later...

So today I got some stuff done aside from mowing the lawn. Went to the jy and got a throttle cable from an "86" hardbody pickup so I now have the correct length cable, yay!

Also, I bought these:

Untitled.jpg

They are a little rougher than in the picture but that is fine by me. As you can see the mounting thing is toast. But that was ok too. A little bit of some all thread and some new nuts and washers for ease of mind and I had this:

IMG_20130725_153535_874.jpg

Which allowed me to do this:

IMG_20130725_211249_429.jpg

All in all I am a very happy camper right now. I do need to add/fix the locating posts but I have an idea for that already.

Before I can put it back on the ground I need to replace my heater valve (which I have) and run the hoses to the block. Throw in coolant and oil and cap off some vacuum lines and she'll be on the road again! If I'm not lazy I may get all that done tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • 9 years later...

So I clearly don't keep this updated but the car has been on and off under the knife. Since I can't leave well enough alone and I like to try shit, can somebody tell me why this is a bad idea? TTzw1Fp.jpeg

The Infiniti m30 stub thing there has been drilled and tapped for the vw/porsche 100mm cv axles. The nuts are there because I have them and I figure extra security wouldn't be a bad idea. CVs haven't been greased yet as this was just a test fit. Axles are from a 1980 924 as the m30 arms clearly don't have the wolf creek adapter on em and the old axles were roughly an inch short. Why m30 arms? Shiggles. They increase track width by approximately and inch on either side and come with disc brakes and the drum ebrake will be easy enough to get working. If this doesn't work I'll just put the 510 arms back in. Either way I had fun trying to get this together. Thanks for any input.

That's all the confirmation I need, thanks!

It is indeed centered and axle can move through its arc without binding. Gonna grease the axles and get the other side installed and hopefully get the car on the ground and out for a spin sometime this weekend.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For anybody curious it worked just fine. Took it on a roughly 120 mile round trip to summit point for spec510 this weekend no problem. I'll get down and check that everything is still nice and tight once I wrap up with the kid activities for the day.

• Like 1