• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figured I'd share what the exhaust looks like

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

My friend Greg who works at Mandrel Bending Solutions did it for me. It's not pretty, but it was affordable and allowed me to get an exhaust setup for the car. Muffler is burnt tip with a carbon fiber canister. It was cheap and I like the way it looks.

i have this same exhaust=] and its actually gonna go on my 4 door as soon as i get it back from frank=]

• 3 weeks later...

One subtle change:0613091452a.jpg

I painted the rocker area black from the white. I think it looks much better that way. When it was white there was no real good stopping/transition point when it got to the fender so I decided black was the way to go.

As of right now the engine bay is pretty much stripped and ready for some paint. Or rather finishing of the paint. Forward of the strut towers is already painted, just had to get the engine out to get to the firewall.

Speaking of, I've got it sitting nicely and it will undergo assembly (adding the flywheel/clutch) and plopping it in for darn near the last time until next summer when I decide to fiddle with it some more.

So all that's left is:

Tranny mount

Fuel tank modification

Wiring (will be easy thanks to Ice's diagrams)

Reassembly

Pretty much the same list that it's been for awhile now but I've actually been motivated lately so it's getting done :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just showing that I have been working on the car and not just talking out of my ass. It's not a whole lot, but it's better than nothing.

0625091953.jpg

Tranny awaiting mount to be made

0625091954.jpg

1 coat bedliner. Need to add at least 1 more coat.

0625091954a.jpg

Closeup of the applied bedliner.

0625091956.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer. I got a majority of the electrical ish hooked up and started putting all the little bits and pieces back on the car.

0708092111.jpg

0708092112.jpg

Made a jumper harness for the ir alternator out of some 6 prong plug I snagged from a Z. Upon inspection of the harness, I noticed that the previous owner had already jumped the wires. He did it inside of the loom though... but I put on my jumper deal since I already made it and its never a bad idea to be safe rather than sorry. The only electrical shit I still have to wire up are the headlights/ecu/alt sense wire deal. Then I get to toy with making the s13 switches work with the 510. I should have the engine all plugged in sometime tomorrow, so then I get to focus on the big shit I gots to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped in the battery from the RSX today to try and start it. Turns over just fine and it'll pop but it won's quite catch and start. I guess later I'll have to check to make sure that the injectors are all in proper working order. Then from there check out the dizzy and such.

Gah

Got my rad today, sweet.

Figured out my issue as well because it will now start up!

SHE LIVES!

Just about creamed myself, not gonna lie. Just gotta clean up my wiring and do the plumbing :D

Congratulations John! So what was the problem? Bet you can't wait to go for a run now eh?

Thanks!

The problem was something dumb. I didn't have that orange wire hooked up. Still using the 510 starter wire for the time being tho.

And I'd love to go for a run but I still gotta modify the gas tank, shorten the driveshaft, and get a transmission crossmember. Those will be taken care of in short order.

Awesome John! Sounds like something I'd do to myself too! I picked up a modified gas tank with a sump in it like Bertvorgon's on the Realm. Problem is that you can't run a spare tire because it protrudes into the spare tire well. Oh well, can't have everything eh?

So I noticed some antifreeze in the cabin today while I was putting in the s12 throttle cable that I snagged today. Lookin like my heater core is leaking. Just a tiny bit. Tis a bummer but nice to have caught it now rather than later I suppose.

• 8 months later...

Been awhile since I've updated anything and not a whole lot has changed. But I did get my gas tank modified and now I just gotta finish cutting down the mount that the fuel pump connects to so I can mount that and get it back in the trunk. I should have the transmission crossmember settled here shortly and then all that's really left is the driveshaft.

I did snag a set of these: 0409001956.jpg for a mere $20 and a little blood. That was pretty sweet.

Junkyards are awesome. Even more awesome when the guy only charges you for foglights as opposed to headlights. I'm gonna go ahead an re-rewire the headlights so that these can go in. I also have to either get a new pass side motor mount or just make some custom mounts because the pass decided to come apart on me. I also ordered some rear rotors so I can get that swap done and finally ordered a hub for the 240sx steering column.

Still gotta get a radiator fan and a damn inline radiator filler too.

• 1 month later...

Been working on making brackets lately. Got them together and tacked, just need them welded all pretty like now and then it's on the driveshaft.

And something I meant to post a pic of before but never did:

0526001625.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I've done anything noteworthy so I figure I'll try to make a decent post on my progress.

Car running:

th_0715001514.jpg

I kinda jumped the gun when I stated in a previous post that it lives. Yes it did, in fact live, but it was a hard life without having the more important vacuum lines hooked up. Would start, sputter, and die. Now it runs just fine.

0715001523.jpg

Engine at home all ghetto-rigged so I can make sure that my wiring was ok and that everything was hooked up as it should be.

0715001527.jpg

Another shot of the engine. Hook on the front is from a Hardbody and the one on the rear from some Volvo.

0715001524a.jpg

0715001525.jpg

Shot of the gas tank and the baffle from the 240sx tank. Not the prettiest but it works and it was free. Just gotta line it and throw it in the car.

0715001524.jpg

Shot of the 240sx steering column and surround. Was gonna try and make the 240sx stalks work but I got lazy.

0715001528.jpg

Scirocco/Rabbit radiator and eBay fan. Gonna hook it up to the VW rad temp sensor as well as a switch in the cabin for the time being. May hook it up to the 240sx sensor as well. I figure when it comes to cooling I won't take any chances.

Next day off I get I'm (finally) gonna clean up and hide the wiring and start putting it back together. All that's left is the driveshaft.

• 3 months later...

So. Everything is in the car. Gotta mount the ecu and figure out the exhaust. Aside from that the car runs and I'll be taking it for a spin by this weekend. Going to be a really test drive but it'll still be fun.

I'm going to have to start a project build thread soon. This is all good info to know. Nice work on your build. I think my 510 is a bit more rusty than your though and that's going to be my main concern for a while. Always cool to see other 4 door sedans come to life.

So. Everything is in the car. Gotta mount the ecu and figure out the exhaust. Aside from that the car runs and I'll be taking it for a spin by this weekend. Going to be a really test drive but it'll still be fun.

Cool! Glad to hear you are nearly there. Then you will have time to come by and help me get mine done.

I will be around this weekend if you feel like venturing this far.

So the cars maiden voyage was an interesting one. You know that feeling you get when you press on the brakes and it goes straight to the floor? Yeah. Apparently I didn't bleed the brakes enough. I took my time doing that but I guess it wants some more time. Hopefully I'll be able to actually get it around the block this weekend instead of just out of the garage, down the street, and back into the garage.

It was both scary and funny.

So its looking like my bmc is bad. Gonna put the old one back on and see if I get brakes. Might have to get a new one or have this one repaired.

I have the stock one I pulled from my car here if you want it. I used a 280ZX master with my upgraded brakes.

Let me know if you need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out I'm just dumb. I've never actually removed/replaced any masters before and I forgot to bleed the bmc itself. I'm assuming that's what bench bleeding is. Having said that everything is wired up. Going to add a relay to the rad fan soon but right now it's hooked up to a switch in the cabin and that should be good for the time being. All it has to do is get me to the muffler shop manana. Then it comes home some I can start putting the interior back in and (finally) clean up the wires (taping/zipties/etc).

Will have new pics and maybe a video sometime this week.