Crate L18 no start

izzo

Got the motor back together, dumped a litlte gas in the carb. she started to fire a few times, but now nothing. motor just spins like theres no compression, white smoke shoots out the carb.. wires wrong>?? I checked the timing, it looked right. Might be a tooth off so i retarded it. i double checked the wires.... they are in the right order.

i put crate L18 cuz i dunno what year it is..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was starting to run. Then all of a sudden it did this. Now the motor just spins freely like there is no compression. I put my compression tester on #2 cylinder and got a reading of 0. Even when i had a burnt valve it had some kind of reading. I spun the dizzy 180 around and set the plugs wires again, still notta. motor just spins around real fast.

i double checked your video hainz and olddatsuns tech to make sure i had memorized the firing order correctly.

i made sure that piston was TDC and 0 on the mark, and cams were 10 and 2... bright links matched dimples.

Ill know more tomorrow. Ill pull the valve cover off and spin the crank pulley around.. see what happens. First time i really had problems when throwing together an L series. I had a little bit of issues with my Z24, but it was that i missed a ground wire, one vacuum line, and i had it 180 out... But thats a napz :D

I forgot to torque the cambolt on my built l18. Got a block a way from my house and it just died. Then when I got it home I had no comp and had a bent a valve and the chain tensioner had popped out so I had to fix that. But once I fixed those two things it fired right up . If you bent a vlave and the guid is good just grab some lapping. Compound and the suction cup tool and another valve and lap it .

Are all the wire connection there...like to ballast resitor, coil, spark plugs wires connected to correct spark plugs, check the obvious first...good luck. oh yeh, it's easy to get frustrated, take a break when you do...