Ah, the Prius

So I was checking out the youtube video in AD in Oklahoma's signature and as an offshoot of that, I found an early clip regarding the Prius, and considering the much-maligned video of the Porsche, I thought this was fitting. And funny as hell, even though I hate V8s. :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, haven't you seen those stupid Honda Ridgelines towing yet? Fuck me, it looks even worse, with the rear wheels about the same negative camber as a 510 dumped on the ground. I should see if I can find some pictures on the net. (Scurries away to do just that.) ;)

Well fuck, every picture I find is of a Ridgeline towing perfectly level, even with a big travel trailer. Despite what google images is trying to represent, it's bullshit. I've seen the most weenie payloads overloaded on Ridgelines right here in Spokane. Full stuffed in the rear, wheels cambered out, and I just thought to myself, why not buy an actual truck?

Don' trust google pics.

Go straight to Honda.com

towing-header.jpg

250 HP...

STANDARD TOWING FEATURES:

• Integrated closed-box frame with unit-body construction

• Integrated class III trailer hitch

• 5,000-lb. towing capacity[1]

• Trailer harness (RTS and RTL; RT is pre-wired for a trailer harness)

• Pre-wired for trailer brake controller

• Heavy-duty radiator with dual 160-watt fans

• Heavy-duty power-steering fluid cooler

• Heavy-duty automatic-transmission fluid cooler

• Power-assisted ventilated front disc/solid rear disc brakes

Gotta love the users who take a perfectly capable tow-rig and set up the trailer incorrectly AND overload the pickup bed.

The Prius is now more than 10 years old, and the batteries did not wear out...

The life expectancy on the batteries is between 10 to 20 years. Real soon here we're going to start having a bunch of people trying to figure out why their mobile leafs aren't getting 40+mpg any more. Then when the batteries are "recycle", well, that's when the fun starts.

$10,000 for replacement batteries isn't going to sit nice with a lot of people and there's going to be a bunch of disposed Priuses sitting around just rotting away into larger and larger carbon footprints.

Most people throw away their Nissans at average of 11 years. Does not mean that gasoline-powered cars are bad.

But you might be right that people aren't going to keep Prius running for 40 years like we done for our Datsuns.

They might sell off their Nissans, but someone else can come along and use them. The problem with the Prius is once those battery packs die, they're going to be virtually useless because I don't think they'll even run without the cells, and no one is going to spend the money on a decade old Prius.

At least, I can't imagine someone salivating over the thought of restoring a Prius. :D

He was entirely correct when he said "If you want a good car, get a Golf Diesel."

40mpg and fun loads of torque.

"Restoring a Prius"... god I crack myself up.

I read somewhere that there are companies that rebuild gen1 batteries for about $2000. dollars. I think the complete cost of replacing gen1 batteries cost about $4000. for new i think, And most batteries last way more than 150,000 miles. And remember that engine that NismoDr showed a few weeks ago at his dealership ...How much would that cost to replace 10 years from now?

My parents recently bought a Prius new and took it from Grayland WA to Wyandotte Ok ( 2000+ miles) on 41 gallons one way and the cars a tank ( everything but a Kotex dispenser ) compared to my 510. And my dad said it went right up the hills in Colorado just fine.

My dad bought it because he was cheap...NOT to save the planet biggrin.gif

That's what many people told me back in the 80s about restoring Datsuns. Shows how ignorant some people are, they have no vision and like to belittle other's ideas.

I had a guy call up who was restoring an 80 something Chevette. I thought, please God, why?!

Yeah but still, a Datsun has character, and value, and doesn't break every five minutes. A Chevette?! Mitsushitti 1.5 liter nastiness in an even nastier looking body? Bleh. At least Datsuns look nice restored.

What all did you do with the carb?