Rosie. A 66' PL411's story.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha thanks for posting that video!

I'm always so busy at work and it's the only time I'm around a computer. So when I'm typing things up or trying to figure out how to do something I have a million customers asking me questions at the same time.

Anyway that video is taken by dave while he was riding in the back. Totally awesome.

We have almost the same car... mine's '67. Just finished it. Hope some of what I documented will help you with your restoration.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/1967-datsun-wrl411-1.html

BTW, none of my business, but don't put an A14 in it... :( Find a 1600 and make a stroker motor!

Nice!

I'm sure I will be refering back to your build.

I think we found another J15 to put in her! I'm mainly concerned about getting her on the road right now so I can drive the piss out of her and figure out what other kinks there are to work out.

Shouldn't be too long now, and there are plenty of things to take care of before then to keep me busy.

We have almost the same car... mine's '67. Just finished it. Hope some of what I documented will help you with your restoration.

http://www.nicoclub....n-wrl411-1.html

BTW, none of my business, but don't put an A14 in it... :( Find a 1600 and make a stroker motor!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so guerilla dave came over and plucked the bad j15 ut while I was at work . We put it in my garage by hand (ratsun workout) and I started taking out the rest of what's in the engine bay.

I have 55 gallons of glycerine that should help me get that oil and grease out, the I start sanding. I think I am leaning towards some sort of orange cream color for the interior, high gloss.

Do you guys think I should do the valve cover a matching color?

I don't have much computer access anymore. I amtaking pics but can't post them. It'll happen eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I've almost finished stripping everything from the engine bay. I've never sanded an engine bay before so this looks like a daunting task. There is alot of build up right now of oil and crude, so I'm curious to see what the paint looks like underneath this. Then on to sanding.

Photo0107.jpg

I'm going on a vacation in a week and a half so I'm a bit strapped on cash and I'm working an extra day this week or I would have alot of that done already.

Should be picking up the j15 next week. Will be sitting up on a shelf for a minute getting all cleaned up and made sure nothing is going to explode..soon atleast. I think we are going to do the engine itself white to go with the orange engine bay. Kind of like a creamsicle has a white center. I'm thinking valve cover white with the datsun lettering orange.

I know i know...white until she starts leaking oil.

I need to build the interior panels in the rear, where should I start looking for what seems to be some sort of ply-something? To make the panels out of. Looks like some sort of really hard cardboard.

I need to build the interior panels in the rear, where should I start looking for what seems to be some sort of ply-something? To make the panels out of. Looks like some sort of really hard cardboard.

It is called hardboard. Home Depot carries it. Some people dont like it... I dont mind it.

Masonite,,,,,

it`s like really thick cardboard like material

My friend once used the type with all the holes to hang tools on wall,, to diamond tuck his whole 61 econoline van with zebra skin cloth he bought at the swap meet..The holes are already plotted out for you all you have to do is add foam & button and something on the backside to tie string to..

don`t know about zebra skin in the 411 though..laugh.gif

Yeah...i'd have to go leopard so it didn't look cheezy!

You know that pegboard idea sounds preeettty good haha.

Thanks for your replies, I guess that's all the quicker I can get on it. I'm debating on whether or not i want to try to keep it quasi original or if I want to just do a more modern interior. I guess when I start looking at materials it'll come to me!

but my dash is awesome and I'm not going to change that, and most of my headliner is in good condition too. So I'm probably going to base my interior around that.

Get some 1/8" door skin material at HD, comes in 4x8 sheets made for skinning (covering) house doors, it's usually mahogany ply, that way you can staple into it. With hardboard, it is nearly impossible to drive staples into it. I usually give it a coat of sanding sealer to make it moisture proof, then do the upholstery.

Yeah forgot that you have to glue the masonite because you cant really staple into it easily. And the door skin stuff you can.

I guess that`s why they call him the Wizard.

And i just thought of it you could stain and varnish ( because it comes in many wood types ) and that might be a cool look to..

Fuck yeah man thanks for the advice. Notes taken!

Get some 1/8" door skin material at HD, comes in 4x8 sheets made for skinning (covering) house doors, it's usually mahogany ply, that way you can staple into it. With hardboard, it is nearly impossible to drive staples into it. I usually give it a coat of sanding sealer to make it moisture proof, then do the upholstery.

Funny you mention that. My girlfriend is a wood burner, so what I was going to do is trim out around the windows with a nice rosewood and have pinstriped woodburning done.

Yeah forgot that you have to glue the masonite because you cant really staple into it easily. And the door skin stuff you can.

I guess that`s why they call him the Wizard.

And i just thought of it you could stain and varnish ( because it comes in many wood types ) and that might be a cool look to..

Here's a idea to throw at you, cover the ply with 1/8" foam, then cut out the foam in the shape (outline) where you would inlay a wood burned art, then cover the panel with the upholstery, add the inlay in the previous cut out area with fasteners from the back side. This would make the inlay be more flush with the upholstery.

• Like 1

This was the last thing I read on my phone before it got water on it while I was on vacation and it fried!

That is an awesome idea. We talked about it for a bit and I think that doing like two little pieces on each door would be awesome. I like the black and red interior, so i wonder how it would look if i tried to keep that part era correct and then put the wood over it.

Regardless you have a great suggestion there and I'm positive you will be seeing it in play soon.

Here's a idea to throw at you, cover the ply with 1/8" foam, then cut out the foam in the shape (outline) where you would inlay a wood burned art, then cover the panel with the upholstery, add the inlay in the previous cut out area with fasteners from the back side. This would make the inlay be more flush with the upholstery.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've been working alot lately, and I proposed to my girlfriend over a week long vacation a few weeks ago! So the progress on rosie has been a little slower than I anticipated but it's moving along. My lovely girl and I have been sanding the engine bay on our free time for the past two weeks, and we didn't do a very good job.

Then I wrapped everything else up in plastic and masking tape, in which I didn't do a very good job.

Then I did a shitty job priming it a couple times.

Then I did a shitty job using spray paint.

I'm a piercer, so my pay is commission based and I have had a little bit of a slow patch lately, so I didn't get to a buy a compressor, didn't have time to remove all the wiring and lines. I work 11 hour shifts 5-6 days a week!

Anyway, orange engine bay, lots of cracks and weak spots, but it looks AMAZING compared to how it did before. I'm sure I will end up yanking out everything some time down the road and doing a wire and line tuck, so when that happens I will really get in there.

Engine will be white, valve cover will be white with orange Datsun lettering, and I'm debating on the air filter housing being orange or white.

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Thanks! It was my first time painting anything. I've sanded and primed things pretty well before though.

Like I said I didn't pull everything out, just bagged it and sprayed around. And I didn't have enough light in my garage to see the lighter patches and didn't notice until it was too late. There are some pretty good orange runs too haha. But I'm just trying to get my engine in and start driving it around to see what other problems there probably are.

damn, son!

that looks good!

So tonight I start polishing up all the bits and pieces I took out of the engine bay and put them back, then start cleaning off that J15 and get ready to paint it!

Now I just to find those engine shots I took before I started disassembling everything :D

She should be rolling pretty soon here........