Rosie. A 66' PL411's story.

Got the engine painted white, and now I'm starting to get everything that's going back in polished. Picked up some orange electric tape as well and start redoing all of the wiring wrap. Put some stuff back in it's place already.

Its gonna take a bit to polish up some of the stuff. 45 year old crud. But the girl has been awesome and lending me a hand. I salvaged some pics I took of stuff before as reference (dropped my phone in water and lost most) and you can see how cruddy stuff is. The wiper motor is my favorite right now

before

2011-07-10203558_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

2011-08-15122116_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

After

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

And the beginning of the white engine. So the valve cover will be sand blasted and colored white, with the Datsun lettering on top orange. And all the giblets on the block will be polished up nice. I don't have a stand, so I couldn't do as good of a job as I wanted. I didn't get to the oil pan because I think I want that orange.

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha it's the first thing I said too don't worry. It's going to make for a bunch of really nice pictures when I drop it in, and then i will watch her get dirty from startup.

If I were smart i would have pumpkn help me change all the gastkets and seals so atleast I could go a month without too much oil :lol:

I'll be the dick, and say it.... White's not the best choice for motor color, you'll find out soon enough :D

Looks good though man. Keep up the good work.

If you cleaned the surfaces well, and added a little grey rtv in the corners on the covers n what not, and oil pan. should be good?

Least thats what to do on the L series lol. just takes a little tiny beady around the oil pan, and a little in the corners on the timing cover...

I'm glad you said that. I was thinking about if there was something I could put on there to keep any oil from leaking. I haven't run this engine, but was told that everything is fine, didn't seem like there was too much build up on it and it was being used on a dune buggy from what I was told.

I guess I will have to try it and see.

If you cleaned the surfaces well, and added a little grey rtv in the corners on the covers n what not, and oil pan. should be good?

Least thats what to do on the L series lol. just takes a little tiny beady around the oil pan, and a little in the corners on the timing cover...

So later today I'm heading over to the o'reillys to pick up a pack of new bolts. Can't find some that I took off, and decided since I'm painting and polishing everything anyway I might as well take that step.

So I'm going to need to replace the little rubber gromets that are used with the bolts on the wiper motor, I was looking at a bunch of different random rubber gromets that could potentially work.

Have any of you 411 guys had to find a replacement?

I think they are a bit different from the 720 ones. That's just a little motor, the 411 has a huge motor. It's a big chunk of what you see under the hood haha. I'm actually polishing it up pretty nice just because of that. I think it's just so when they are powering the blades it doesn't put too much stress on the bolts into the body.

quote name='h2theizzo' date='03 October 2011 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1317683607' post='556867']

Next time you goto the junk yard peel some off a 720 and throw em in your pocket...

I could be wrong, but worth a shot. Go find a dead tire. Drill a hole in it, cut around the hole. There you go :rofl:

The 720 ones looked decent sized. but not sure.. Im sure you could find something good enough at the junk yard, but if you are going to the parts store maybe you can bring the remnants of one if thats all thats left - and match up the curve to a new one...

Mental enema-

I've been putting things back together, and not only can I not figure out where certain wires go back to, but I didn't dry a part up good enough, leaving a bunch of rust, which I primed and painted over, which quickly flaked off while putting more things back damn it. I've already got enough texture in my paintjob to grate some parmesan. Oh well I just want to drive the damn thing already. Couple more days.

Ok damn it.

So we went and got the engine finished up painted and ready to drop in, Got the engine on a chain, put her in the bay, bolt up the tranny in a hurry, and realize something isn't sitting right. Take a look and the oil pan doesn't clear the cross member.

We swapped a J15 with a J15, so for some reason we assumed it would just fit. Of course we didn't think that maybe someone had to do something about the oil pan last time. I'm assuming it's off of the J13 that was on before. So anyway we go to swap out the pans and no gasket. Somehow they are getting one today, so after pulling the engine back out it's dangling above the bay.

Next wednesday should be rolling........damn it....

Photo dump of everything but the oil pan.

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

Anyway it'll give me a chance to finish up some last touches. I realized I forgot to paint the mounts, which I will do now. And the air filter housing and valve cover are being sandblasted right now so we can get them painted up all nice and white to match everything else. The cherry on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more lukewarm piss in my cheerios.

Got the gasket I order for my oilpan. Ended up being an A series gasket no matter how many times I repeated every letter and number possible to make sure it was an oilpan for a j13 engine.

So we cut out our own gasket and with some RTV got the oilpan in.

Need a few things to happen. Got a broken alternator bolt that has to be machine out, more gaskets that have to get cut. Didn't get around to switching her into my name, so now I have to pay the $100-odd dollar fee to get her registered into my name because the tabs expire at the end of the month.

So looks like she won't be on the road within the next few weeks as I had hoped.

HOWEVER, engine is dropped in, got the mounts painted sweet, just wanted to post a few progress pics. Got the valve cover and air filter housing taken care of as well. Didn't get a pic of them sandblasted but I'm sure you know what that looks like.

IMAG0412.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

Color the mounts to hide them

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

Oil pan in action.

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

I wanted a creamy center!

Seems everyone hates it but me and pumpkn. I think it looks cool haha.

What the ....? If Id have known you were going to paint the engine white & the engone bay Orange..........Ida never towed that car for you! :huh: :sick: You been hangin around Pumpkin too long :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

haven't checked this one for a while, but i've been lurking on it. it reminds me a lot of mine with the big surprise puddle of oil in a parking lot and the brightly colored engine just hovering on chains above the bay for who knows how long. there's a reason you don't see white motors too much but it does look unique. it'll make finding your leaks super easy. good find.