STWJ: Yes officer, and I know YOUR rights too!

The vast majority of the ones that I think people are pissed off at are the "H# HIDs" where someone has stuffed a HID bulb into an H# (usually H4) housing. The housing's cutoffs are not intended for the HID bulb, so you get light scatter all over the place. Granted I have a pretty significant blue shift at the edge of my cutoff, but that's just how HIDs function, otherwise there is vitually zero light at on coming traffic's eye level.. except for one punk ass who was giving me shit until I pointed out it wasn't my fault he lowered his car to balls-on-ground height.

I also went with pure white; none of the blue tint at all. It's made me realize just how much blue and purple headlights stand out and are distracting.

HIDs with a proper projector housing with cutoff aren't bad at all.

Mine are h housings, but what alot of people dont realize is they make special bulbs with housings, that fix the scatter and cut off issue. I have those in my 510 and 200sx, they also have moving bulbs for hi and low beams. Most civic kids just jam any hid bulbs in like you said, thats when i hit them with hi beams, and fogs. I really want to hide some high powered fogs bhind my mesh grille to get back at anyone who flashes me. :-D

IDK why, but the fact that he says you were driving very suspicously really pisses me off, becaus theirs times i keep it 1 mile under the limit when my sons in the car, because im not in a rush, i dont have to be anywhere, and that seems to be when cops look at me the freaking most in my cars.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of all the times I have had brushes with the law, I have one speeding ticket that is now no longer on my record. Common sense and respect go a long way with anyone, and police officers are no exception. When a cop pulls you over late at night when you are doing nothing wrong, they are fishing...they expect you to be up to no good, and are looking for reasons to find out what you are doing wrong.

p.s. make sure if you are going to try to repeat what Jason did, that you are well versed in the law and are respectful and have nothing to hide...cause if not, you will be screwed :D

Actually, I didn't think your HIDs were offensively bright Bill, but then I was in the hardbody, which is way higher than your rig. I'll have to have you follow me in the NX or something so we can prove or disprove Pumpkin's claim! ;)

Mat, when he said that I had all 4 on.....they are offensively bright on hi beam, but all cars are (or are supposed to be) I have had hid lights in every car and truck I have ever owned since 2002, and have taken great lengths to have them be high quality, properly adjusted and as white as possible. The only vehicle I ever had problems with was my 07 dodge ram. Very large headlights with lots of reflective chrome in thee housings combined with its taller ride heigth made me get flashed at least once a week.

the whole point here is that it was an unjustified stop! that's when i get pissed 2! hey if im breaking the law pull me over and give me a ticket and i have no problem with that at all! i don't care what time it is or where it is, if your doing nothing wrong you should not get pulled over! he should have asked for his badge number also and filed a complaint against him, at least it would go on his record and he would maybe think about harassing someone who isn't doing anthing wrong! just my 2cents! that is cool tho how you called him on his bullshit!

• Like 2

that was an AWESOME story.

as for hte whole HID issue, i have them in my Bimmer, not factory but in OE euro projector housings with the proper LHD cutoff (OE ZKW housings). i will tell ya this, i love being able to see at night. i have had 2 people flash me and i hit em with my craptastic highbeams. they pretty much drop it then as they realize i didn't have my brights on to begin with. those idiots in honduhs and whatnot that just run HIDs in a non projector housing (H4, H7, whatnot) are just stupid and should be popped for blinding people. when i am in my Bimmer, lowered 2.1 inches, and a SLAMMED honduh pulls in behind me and i cant see because of their "cool headlights", it pisses me off and gives a bad name to those that are running HIDs properly.

my mechanic has the ultimate highbeams though. not quite legal for automotive use, more aircraft....... 250 watt Cessna landing lights.. in an early VW Scirocco.

my mechanic has the ultimate highbeams though. not quite legal for automotive use, more aircraft....... 250 watt Cessna landing lights.. in an early VW Scirocco.

That seems to be a common thing for Early watercooled VWs owners to do, more specifically ones who are close to a mechanic. My mechanic also has had those on his rabbit.

Out of all the times I have had brushes with the law, I have one speeding ticket that is now no longer on my record. Common sense and respect go a long way with anyone, and police officers are no exception. When a cop pulls you over late at night when you are doing nothing wrong, they are fishing...they expect you to be up to no good, and are looking for reasons to find out what you are doing wrong.

p.s. make sure if you are going to try to repeat what Jason did, that you are well versed in the law and are respectful and have nothing to hide...cause if not, you will be screwed :D

I told this story to my friend Guy who is a volunteer Scappoose Country Posse member. He laughed his ass off but made a good point. "He must have been a young officer because what he did wasn't actually wrong if he truly felt you were out of the ordinary. Where he really failed was to appropriately verbalize this sentiment before becoming an asshole about it. I don't see how he could have imagined 2 under was out of the ordinary unless everyone does 40 in that 35. Now if you'd been doing 25, something is up."

Hell, if I was doing 25 I would have stopped me. "Yo drunkie, can't find the gas pedal?"

that was an AWESOME story.

as for hte whole HID issue, i have them in my Bimmer, not factory but in OE euro projector housings with the proper LHD cutoff (OE ZKW housings). i will tell ya this, i love being able to see at night. i have had 2 people flash me and i hit em with my craptastic highbeams. they pretty much drop it then as they realize i didn't have my brights on to begin with. those idiots in honduhs and whatnot that just run HIDs in a non projector housing (H4, H7, whatnot) are just stupid and should be popped for blinding people. when i am in my Bimmer, lowered 2.1 inches, and a SLAMMED honduh pulls in behind me and i cant see because of their "cool headlights", it pisses me off and gives a bad name to those that are running HIDs properly.

That's like putting a train horn under your hood. :)

And where does a person go to get these 250w lights? Got some pics of them?

Those would need some pretty serious wiring to power them as they are going to draw close to 20 amps each.

EDIT: found them. http://www.skygeek.com/gesealbeamla2.html

Not really that expensive either.

And where does a person go to get these 250w lights? Got some pics of them?

Those would need some pretty serious wiring to power them as they are going to draw close to 20 amps each.

EDIT: found them. http://www.skygeek.c...ealbeamla2.html

Not really that expensive either.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm

It's really not too bad if you're using relays to make a straight run from the lights to the battery. 16ga at 10 feet for 20 amps.

My fogs are going to be a set of 10 watt LED's from vision. :D

wattage means nil when talking about LED brightness. Use lumens. My bike light outputs 740 lumens driven at 14.8V and 700mA. That is equal to 10.36 watts.

wattage means nil when talking about LED brightness. Use lumens. My bike light outputs 740 lumens driven at 14.8V and 700mA. That is equal to 10.36 watts.

I would like to see that setup, is it a vision unit? My main reason for wanting LED is low power with high output and long life. And the small package helps too.

I would like to see that setup, is it a vision unit? My main reason for wanting LED is low power with high output and long life. And the small package helps too.

Headlights are touchy legally. More and more cars are beginning to use them (the Nissan Leaf does for the low beams), but they have DOT and SAE certifications. Regardless of what you do, make sure you use high quality, modern high output LEDs. CREE and others make some great LEDs.

Thinking about this, I think you just gave me an idea how to make some decent back up lights

My bike light uses this: http://www.ledsupply.com/creemce-w430.php

I made the light myself. It is friggin bright. People often think I am a motorcycle. I would not use it as a headlight replacement though.

I have not used it in awhile as I have been having issues with trying to come up with a solid battery for it (currently using a bad designed lithium ion battery pack and it scares me!).

Some pics:

IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG

I will come back and post brightness pics later tonight.

way to be!!! i havent really been in such a situation. but the last encounter i was in similar. was when i was a bit intoxicated. i stayed calm and was honest and the very polite officer led me go free. with a warning to be more careful and to wait longer before driving impaired. conversation went like this. (not exact but close enough) was driveing my 76 chevy nova. roughly the speed limit. 30-35 minding my own business. wasnt swerving or drawing attention. officer is oncoming traffic. ( and we were the only two vehicles on the road that night i swear) i saw his tail lights in my rear mirror and then his head lights shortly after his red and blues. signaled. pulled over into a "safe" traffic location. ( not blocking the road or side walk) killed the built v8 with 2 1/2 inch exhuast. turned of the head lights. undid the four points. gathers my reg. and lic. and waited anxiously. lit another cig. officer walks to the window. " evnin officer" EVENING ( handed him my papers) SON YOU HAVE A VERY NICE VEHICLE FOR YOUR AGE ARE YOU AWARE THAT YOUR LICENSE PLATE LAMP IS OUT? looking at him stupidly and thought about it " i dont have one" looks at me stupidly " as in it doesnt exist" AH... ILL SHALL RETURN ( or something like that ) i quickly asked him politely to turn off the spot light. (since the are fucking blinding.) he did. he returns just after i finsh my cigarette. he had proceeded to ask me about my night WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE? what? oh i was at a zombie party... this is make up. A ZOMBIE PARTY? DONT THINK I HAVE EVER HEARD OF THOSE.... you should go to one they are tons of fun... that is until there is drama. I SEE... SON HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING TONIGHT? ( looking guilty) yes... yes i have been drinking. ( his face was surprised by my answer) HOW MUCH HAVE YOU HAD? ummm.... roughly 6 beers. AND HOW LONG AGO WAS YOUR LAST? ummm... what time is it? 2AM.

about two hours ago? (bullshit and he knew it) I SEE... THANK YOU FOR BEING HONEST WITH ME well sir i dont see much point in lying to you. THIS IS TRUE... DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE ON THIS VEHICLE? no sir, it cost too much. and i can barley afford the fuel to drive it. WOW... ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR BEEING HONEST. DO YOU OWN ANY OTHER VEHICLES? yes sir i do. DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE ON SAID VEHICLES? yes sir. WELL THATS GOOD. ARE YOU SURE THAT YOUR LAMP DOESNT EXIST? i am actually quite positive i would love to show you. NO, THAT IS NOT NECCESSARY. sir i insist. i have been honest with you this whole time let me show you. ( preety much setting myself up for a feild sobriety test. ) he agrees and i grab my keys and another smoke. lost my footing "slighty" when stepping out. wasnt a big deal. popped open my trunk and showed him the hole where the lamp should be and proceeded to explain that there wasnt any wiring for it or a holder. shocked again about how honest i was with him. he politely told me to watch my drinking. to cut back on smoking and to enjoy the rest of my weekend. handed me my papers and left.