Exhaust

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a stock L motor 1 3/4 or 2 inch will help it breath better. Also install a L 16 exhaust manifold [close to a header w/ out paying for it]. On my 521 im running a 12 inch cherry bomb [glasspack] w/ 1 3/4 pipe & my 620 is 1 3/4 w/ a 40 series flowmaster & a turn down.

2 in is more than enough with a samll turbo muffler

2.5inch (TOO MUCH) is outragous and would not do it.

You just got a L motor dude, not a Subaru Impressa/Mitshibishi EVO

They have 2.5 inch exhausts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run 1.75 on my betaer 510 and it has twin Mikunis / cam and Ill still beat ya with your 2.5 inch exhaust.

guess i'll do 2....but then i gotta redo it once the ka goes in......

The 4-cylinder L motor has a very good factory exhaust manifold. It does not rust out, if fits the head very well, it flows good, it is quiet, and you probably already have one if you have the motor. Use the money you would spend on headers on something else.

A 2" pipe will help the motor breathe. I have heard there are some benifits of using two pipes for a short distance after the stock manifold, but I think that is done on some pickups just to help get the exhaust pipe past the torshion bar.

A little geometry lesson. If you double the diameter of a pipe, the area of the inside of the pipe goes up by a factor of 4.

If you can get a stainless steel exhaust system it will not rust out.

My opinion here. An auto part that is heavily promoted tends to have more money spent on promotion than on design, and may not necessarly be the best value for the money. I also like a quieter car. Way too many tuner cars that sound like crap.

Jeff(icehouse)

uses his stock exhaust with his KA on his 620 truck with stock muffler.

2inch will be fine with a KA also.

Maybe get a super turbo or a straight thru turbo muffler IF YOU think restriction is going to slow you down.

Ever look at a late mode 720 truck with a L20 or Z22 motor.?

Looks like the exhaust is the size of a #2 Pencil. Im sure 1.75in will be good enough but most mufflers are now only sold in 2inch and should be more than enought even for a semi built L motor

The 4-cylinder L motor has a very good factory exhaust manifold. It does not rust out, if fits the head very well, it flows good, it is quiet, and you probably already have one if you have the motor. Use the money you would spend on headers on something else.

A 2" pipe will help the motor breathe. I have heard there are some benifits of using two pipes for a short distance after the stock manifold, but I think that is done on some pickups just to help get the exhaust pipe past the torshion bar.

A little geometry lesson. If you double the diameter of a pipe, the area of the inside of the pipe goes up by a factor of 4.

My opinion here. An auto part that is heavily promoted tends to have more money spent on promotion than on design, and may not necessarly be the best value for the money. I also like a quieter car. Way too many tuner cars that sound like crap.

Do you have any pics for an example from an L16?? I have stock pipes from from the manifold to the muffler....a oversized tube type?? with a 2" inlet. I would like to make it 2" all the way back but not sure about where to start.

I picked 1.75 as it mate up with the w pipe the best.

The stock Y pipe on my 510 was new and before the shop installed it they expanded it to fit 1.75 in pipe then routed all the way back to a Dynomax Ultra flow stainless (2in inlet /out) behind the x member the pipe is 2inch but more or less it a full 1.75 under the car

My 521 I had bought a Dynomax Super Turbo and was welded to the stock Y pipe. It has leaked once and hard to get to the leak but is OK now.

Dynomax said they stoped making the 1.75 inch mufflers and went to the normal bigger sizes. 2,2.25in mufflers.

I only suggest 2in pipe as if you ever go to a header its already done and should be good for 95 % of the applications.

As I get older I like quiet!! The 2/3 chamber Turbo mufflers are fine.

Thrush(Dynomax now)

Cherrybomb 2 is another turbo type 2 or 3 chamber muffler

Summet sells some also.

Unfortunately I think most dont last too long as they rust out.

I havent found a 2/3 chamber turbo muffler in stainless that is SMALL ENOUGH to fit in the stock 510 spot. and is about 100$.

Closest is a Dynomax Super turbo that is alumized and mine seems to be holding up good so far

made in USA

http://www.a-1performance.com/

I have a short tube header that is chomexed.http://www.racetep.com/nissan.html get it coated for another 100$

But have it in case. Some people have leaks some dont.Best just to get this to get rid of a L20 exhaust manifold if a L16 ex manifold is not found and Y pipes are bad or need a Y pipe for a truck for the torsion bar routing.

I like this guy. I agree!!

Hey Daniel see if you agree with me... "Louder isn't Power"

You can kinda see the manifold in this pic. The best one IMHO is the finned manifold shown in the pic. There is also the smooth version. These manifolds do not interface with the intake except for at the head bolts. Way easier to R & R than the later style smog units.

drivernewblock.jpg

Stole this pic from MrRobatoGato's project thread...you can see how the exhaust flows. 4 into 2. Then the downpipe flows 2 into 1. Very nice flowing stock manifold. ;)

Picture494.jpg

My current exhaust system is just a 2" pipe welded to the stock two into one collector that the stock truck has. Two inch pipe before and after the muffler, 2" muffler inlet and outlet. The muffler is just some "normal" baffled muffler. Sorry, no pictures. The exhaust pipe has a dent where it goes past the torsion bar, and is actually very close, or touching the transmission.

I would suggest you get a joint built into the pipe before the first bend, that you can take apart easily. That way you can pull the engine, or the transmission easier without having to remove the whole exhaust system.

Way too many people think they have a hot car, and actually the muffler just fell off. Louder is not faster, it is just louder. Sometimes it is nice not to attract attention.