The next episode.

izzo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I called it quits it looked like it wasn't quite lined up from looking at it from the top. The angle was off. . I used the tool it goes all the way in so its line up ok there. Heat, soreness and laying in gravel killed my spirits for the day lol. Couch potato tonight, take a stab at it tomorrow. I don't have an engine leveler or I'd have pulled it out too. Have installed a few trans before, never had this much issues. Be back at it tomorrow!

• Like 1

Fail. Three hours of benching that trans. Couldn't stab it in there. Laying in gravel on top of being sun burnt in 80 degree weather, I called it a night. Started getting nautious.

Know that feeling ......that sux ......I bet tomorrow it plops right together first time.....that's how it usually goes.

^^^ lol.

I almost threw a fit like a 12 year old girl.  I text micro in my frustration... His advice, walk away and come back later. Thats exactly what I did.  Today, big smile on my face.  Soon as I get home, changing into my datto clothes (clothes caked and filled with oil, grease, trans fluid). And going back at it....

This time, I am going to put my right hand on the bottom of the bell housing, left hand in the middle... Ill bench it up and get my hand left with the cover plate so I know the front is lined up, then wriggle the rear end.  I know its gotta be close, but with everything going on and the heat I was pissed.  Christ, once that transmission is back it, it's not going to take much to button it up and be finished.  Some bleeding, a little re-assembly... Take it for a test drive a few times, then a burn out to test the clutch and u joints :lol:

I over killed it with the grinder for the shifter hole. Good thing I own a welder and can patch up the cut marks a little. No biggy.... Blue fire safety blanket! Dipped that in a bucket of water then set it in the wagon to prevent fire or damaging my awesome seats :rofl:

IMAG0216_zpsc13d502a.jpg
IMAG0215_zpsaf8a903d.jpg
IMAG0214_zps442aa5ab.jpg
IMAG0213_zps32fe9e05.jpg
IMAG0212_zpsf297e924.jpg
IMAG0211_zps6e0e1c16.jpg
IMAG0210_zpsf5472d71.jpg
IMAG0209_zps26519dec.jpg
IMAG0208_zpsebeb9aa9.jpg

^^^ :lol:

So question for the wise, as I've never done this....

When I install the slave cylinder, mine is adjustable on the rode itself.  Its threaded with a nut on it... When I install this, I will match it to where the clutch lever is fully released.  basically just adjusting the nut on the rod till its right where it should be, maybe slightly slack, so its not pushing on the lever at rest.  IIRC there should be about an eighth inch gap when you push down on the pedal before the lever pushes the collar onto the pressure plate.

Question is.... What about the clutch pedal adjustment on the master cylinder?  The rod comes in thru the firewall, there is a clasp which attaches to the clutch pedal.. That rod is threaded half way towards the clasp with a nut, so you can move the clasp in or away from the firewall/clutch pedal.  When the master arrived the clasp was spun mostly all the way in towards the firewall.  I spun it away till it lined up with the clutch pedal (this clutch pedal came from another car so adjustment will vary).  How do I know where to put it?  Its near the end of the rod now (away from the firewall towards the clutch pedal), I fear first time I hit the clutch pedal it might bottom out the rod... Will that hurt anything?  Where is a good starting point?

The pedal adjuster, adjusts the pedal. Make sure you can bottom out the clutch MC before the pedal hits the floor. Anything else is personal preference.

The slave adjustment, well, for me I just did trial and error. At first, I couldnt disengage the clutch, So I tightened it up, and all was well.

I have no idea how to do it "correctly"  but i use the rule of greasy thumb and try to get slave rod a little over 1/2 or 3/4 way into slave when installed, maybe less IDK..  And if you can grab your clutch pedal with your hand and there is a little bit of motion in pedal  before you start to move any fluid at all your good to go.