DOGleg, euroSTYLE

We're all familiar with the dogleg as a popular swap into the 510. It's usually removed from the first gen 200sx where it was standard equipment. At about 26" long it's a perfect swap without shortening the 510 driveshaft and the first 4 gear ratios are identical to the sedan 4 speed. Even the speedo is on the same side. The tranny mount is the only thing that needs to be modified.

Every now and then a dogleg shows up that is longer, in fact almost identical to the 71B tranny at 31.5". I've heard it said that the 810 had them but with research I have found that this isn't true in North Am at least. They may be used in Asia and the Auzzi 610 SSS did have a 5 speed option, maybe a long dogleg. The ones that show up here may have been attached to JDM import engines somewhat like the L16/18 SSS engines with the dual SUs and peanut heads.

A friend from Europe sent me this picture recently and I expect about 19 more showing more details. In order they are

#5 810 5speed dogleg

#4 810 4 speed

#3 610 5 speed dogleg (this one is a rally ratio equipped box)

#2 610 4 speed

#1 510 4 speed

EURO5-8105spddogleg4-8104spd3-6105spddogleg2-6104spd1-5104spd.jpg

#1,2 and 4 appear to be F4W63 4 speed boxes with bolt on bottom pans (long and short) but look at the shifter on #4. Instead of a monkey motion 'A' type shifter it has the newer 71B type on it. Never seen anything like this.

#3 and #5 are both long doglegs. I will find out if the Euro 810s used the L24 or if they were like Asia and had an L20B.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but look at the shifter on #4. Instead of a monkey motion 'A' type shifter it has the newer 71B type on it. Never seen anything like this.

Maybe, like the big 3 American conglomerates, they just simply used up old design parts til they were gone...?

Had to close this thread last night. I found a link on it that I did not put there and clicked it and ended up with that rick astley think popping up and around the screen that you can't get rid of unless you power down your computer to clear it. If anyone else clicked it, my apologies. I have cleared it but.... If you find a clickable link on here do not 'click it'.

Guest kamakazi620

Had to close this thread last night. I found a link on it that I did not put there and clicked it and ended up with that rick astley think popping up and around the screen that you can't get rid of unless you power down your computer to clear it. If anyone else clicked it, my apologies. I have cleared it but.... If you find a clickable link on here do not 'click it'.

"Never gonna give you up never gonna give never gonna give................."

• Like 2

Not to sound daft, but whats the difference between a dogleg and regular manual?

isn't the rev gear on the opposite side or some such? Reverse takes the place of

first correct?

Do the dogleg 200sx trans' bolt into the 610's with little to no modification also?

Guest kamakazi620

Not to sound daft, but whats the difference between a dogleg and regular manual?

isn't the rev gear on the opposite side or some such? Reverse takes the place of

first correct?

Do the dogleg 200sx trans' bolt into the 610's with little to no modification also?

Yes reverse is where first is , and yes if it is a jdm "long" dogleg

first correct?

Dogleg

R-2-4

1-3-5

The '77-'79 200sx dogleg will bolt to any L series motor but they did come on Z20S motors too. Just be sure you have an L dogleg.

As to the 610, they used a long 4 speed so the drive shaft would need to be lengthened to fit the shorter FS5W63A dogleg. Becaue of this, I would find a '77or '78 620, '77-'83 280z or non turbo 280zx, or '81-'84 810/Maxima 5 speed. All of these FS5W71B trannys are L 4 cylinder compatible and are also 31.5" long. Check your tranny length and if within 1/2" it should work.

You would still need to mod the tranny mount and perhaps the hole in the tunnel.

Dogleg:

10121.jpg

Why a dogleg pattern? In racing, 1st isn't used much, but the 2-3 or 4-5 shift needs to be quick.

Standard pattern (aka 'straight shift')

23138.jpg

The standard pattern is better for city traffic, where the 1-2 shift is used repeatedly.

There are several 'dogleg' Datsun transmissions, and yes, where the gears are physically inside the case are different.

There are several 'dogleg' Datsun transmissions, and yes, where the gears are physically inside the case are different.

On a regular 5 speed front to back it's straight through (4th), 3rd...... 2nd,1st..... and in the tailstock Rev and 5th. Three pairs where a shifter in the forward position selects 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Pulling the shifter back can only give you 2nd, 4th or rev.

The dogleg front to back is 5th, 4th.... 3rd, 2nd and in the tailstock 1st and rev. Again three pairs but there is an extra linkage piece that reverses or flips the 1st/rev shift fork operation to give rev above 1st.

All doglegs will have an external bolt on the under side of the tailstock that holds this linkage. In the picture below the tranny on the right is a dogleg, (actually a Z series dogleg) but if you look where the rear mount would bolt to it and look just slightly to the right and down you will see a protruding bulge with a large nut on it. This holds a lever inside like a teeter totter thew 'flips' reverse and first gear position on the shifter.

F463andNAPSdogleg.jpg

I am forever cursing myself because at Canby, Rory had a mystery tailstock that was a dogleg and you could look inside and see this lever. I had my camera but.... didn't take any pictures of it. (or just buy it)

Guest kamakazi620

Sooo... are you into oldies~ or are you datin' yerself?

The thread gots "rick rolled", and I dont consider that song "oldies" I consider hank sr or elvis oldies