Help identifying part?

In the middle of changing out the headgasket. I ran into this part which is sitting on top of the water pump. took the screws off and it's filled with gear oil and a couple seals. free spins separate of the pulley and looks like it's just pressed on there. there is no nut to take it off. I think i'll break the housing trying to pickle fork it off the pully.

pJvq0.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tried to get it off with a gear puller. won't budge. what are my options? I don't need the fan clutch, just the pulley as I have an electric fan. this is just dead weight. I need to get access to the water pump bolts.

tried to get it off with a gear puller. won't budge. what are my options? I don't need the fan clutch, just the pulley as I have an electric fan. this is just dead weight. I need to get access to the water pump bolts.

The clutch fan and the water pump are integral... they are not meant to come apart. You do not need to remove it to get at the water pump bolts.

If running an electric fan and you want to remove the clutch, take the the pump off for more room to work on it. Use an angle grinder to score the rear case half and snap it into pieces to get it off the shaft. There is a ball bearing in there. Again you can slice the bearing to pieces and remove. I did one and left the inner race on the pump shaft.

720stuffclutchfanremoval007Large.jpg

720stuffclutchfanremoval006Large.jpg

Warning! If you choose to cut away the remainder of the bearing race stay as far away from the pulley as you can. It is pressed on and if you grind too close it will come off. Trust me.

This one was trimmed too close and it drove about two blocks before wobbling off. I would spare you that embarrassment.

720stuff003Large.jpg

Too late now but unless you need more room for the electric fan just remove the plastic blades and leave the clutch in place. It won't harm anything.

FYI the oil inside is a special silicone liquid that provides 'fluid coupling' somewhat like a torque converter on an automatic. There is a bi metalic coil that senses the air temperature from the rad and during cold operation allows slip and a constant 1,600 RPM speed. During hot weather or when extra cooling is needed the clutch provides more torque to the fan and increases the speed to 2,400 RPM, regardless of engine RPM.

720stuff002Large.jpg

Loss of the silicon fluid will result in too much slip and overheating at low speeds. If the clutch fan seizes up it will spin at engine RPM and will roar like a jet engine when revved. A good clutch fan will allow the fan blades to be turned by hand with firm resistance.

mike cant you cut the pully flush like the one above and weld it in place before grinding? that way it would not come apart and it will look alot cleaner the having the inner race left on it

Use a '69 L16 water pump. Clutchless. It's what I have on my 510, and thanks to the Z24 conversion, in my D21 as well. Go to any NAPA, our altrom line will be able to get you a genuine NPW (Nissan Pump Works) water pump for that application. I think there are a few in stock still at Airway Heights, and possibly in the Spokane DC. Auburn altrom warehouse should have a few as well.

What the hell you hacksaw artists!? You're making it too hard! :D

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Use a '68-73 L16 water pump. Clutchless. It's what I have on my 510, and thanks to the Z24 conversion, in my D21 as well. Go to any NAPA, our altrom line will be able to get you a genuine NPW (Nissan Pump Works) water pump for that application. I think there are a few in stock still at Airway Heights, and possibly in the Spokane DC. Auburn altrom warehouse should have a few as well.

What the hell you hacksaw artists!? You're making it too hard! :D

Fixed