removing king pins!!!!!! help!!!!521

dirtydiesel

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they'll care which way you send them.

There's not a lot you can damage do to things in there.

If they come out north, cool. South, meh.

I'm pretty sure you'll find it obvious when you get finger deep in it.

So I wasn't being a smart ass. They just come out. Period.

Did you get the lock bolt out? The pins will come out either direction, but in my opinion, down would be easier on or off the vehicle. If you take the spindle off the vehicle, be very careful with the lock bolt holding the lower fulcrum pin, they are NLA as far as I know.

maybe this will help....

http://ddgonzal.members.winisp.net/nwde/4234.htm

There are caps, top/bottom....if you haven't taken the top one out, you're not pounding on the pin...if you haven't taken the bottom one out, then you're fighting extra resistance.

By the way, are you doing the kingpin job on the truck, or have you unbolted the spindle support from the truck and doing it on your bench? If the latter do NOT mix up which side the fulcrum pins and nuts come off. I only say this because I have just done that. mklotz knows what I am talking about.dry.gif

They will go either up or down, Remove the caps, remove the tapered holding bolt.

If they move easily, go out the bottom. I has some that were very stubborn, so I made a fixture that I could put pressure on the pin with a hydraulic cylinder, and then had to heat the spindle with a torch.

sorry for snappin earlier i was a bit frustrated. i think i broke part of my hand when the socket i was using to press the pin out shattered.i got it all apart now. it took destroying the keepers. i had to drill/heat/ and pin the keeper for the king pin. grind the nut off the keeper on the other pin to remove the assembly front control arm. heat and beat the shit out of that pin. got most of the parts cleaned and primered. im working removing the passenger side now. illl press the king bushings out later...

By the way, are you doing the kingpin job on the truck, or have you unbolted the spindle support from the truck and doing it on your bench? If the latter do NOT mix up which side the fulcrum pins and nuts come off. I only say this because I have just done that. mklotz knows what I am talking about.dry.gif

enlighten me on the fulcrum pins

Did you get the lock bolt out? The pins will come out either direction, but in my opinion, down would be easier on or off the vehicle. If you take the spindle off the vehicle, be very careful with the lock bolt holding the lower fulcrum pin, they are NLA as far as I know.

maybe this will help....

http://ddgonzal.memb...t/nwde/4234.htm

There are caps, top/bottom....if you haven't taken the top one out, you're not pounding on the pin...if you haven't taken the bottom one out, then you're fighting extra resistance.

im surprised that i didnt dee a dead blow hammer in that thread.. i use it every day. there great for busting apart shit with maring shit up... your carquest box number might help me in a huge way

Since Brodster's at work without photos, I scoured through our pictures to be able to show you what he's talking about. I'm sure if I leave anything out that he will add to it :D

Once you pull all the hub and brakes off and shit, you end up with this spindle attached to your suspension.

Spindle.jpg

The lower side of the spindle is attached to the lower control arm with the pin and two end caps/nuts, whatever you want to call them. I don't know all the technical terms, sorry.

LowerSpindle-ControlArm.jpg

PinsnCaps.jpg

When you remove the nuts/caps, from the lower control arm and pin, you should mark the nut from the front, as well as the one from the back, and the direction of the pin inside, as it needs to go back in this exact order to seat properly and allow for the smooth, low friction movement of the spindle when you put it back on.

We didn't mark ours and it too us hours to figure out what the hell was wrong and why they wouldn't move freely when torquing down on the nuts. Brodster finally messaged Mike about it, and found out that we needed to return each piece to its exact original place for it to actually work properly.

So yeah, hopefully you have a rough idea of where each came from, or you'll be playing a game of elimination like we did <_<

Thanks DatWifey.

If you didn't pull the whole spindle supports off the truck, don't worry about it.

If you did, then hopefully you have everything ordered.

It sounds like you are doing one side at a time, so the worst case is four combinations of parts to get it right.

In my case, I mixed all the parts from both sides. That is 48 combinations to work through.

I am just telling you this because this is what I went through last weekend for about four hours. angry.gif

Thanks DatWifey.

If you didn't pull the whole spindle supports off the truck, don't worry about it.

If you did, then hopefully you have everything ordered.

It sounds like you are doing one side at a time, so the worst case is four combinations of parts to get it right.

In my case, I mixed all the parts from both sides. That is 48 combinations to work through.

I am just telling you this because this is what I went through last weekend for about four hours. angry.gif

indeed i am doing one side at a time. thanks for the heads up on the fulcrum pins. thats a very good tip. ill keep that in mind on the passenger side.

I think you are referring to the little dust rings with springs that push into the spindle support. There should be two and they cover up the fulcrum pin between the spindle support and the lower control arms. Is this correct?

Check out the 521 parts catalog from this webpage: http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

It is a big pdf. On page 575 of the pdf file there is an illustration of the whole spindle support assembly. It appears the parts you are talking about are labeled as #91. Looking on page 583 and 584, it looks like the newest part number is 54503-20500.

The part looks a bit different in the pdf, but I have never ordered it. It may be NLA. Try nissanparts.cc.

if you read the superseded number. its 54503-30000

Admittedly, I find the catalog a bit confusing. So I am may be wrong, but I always thought it was the other way around. It looks like 54503-30000 was the original part that came on the J13 equipped 521s. It also shows an "UP TO" date of 09/66. The later part, 54503-20500 is the newer part. The superseded column, from what I remember, means that the new part superseded the listed part in that column.

Regardless, I went to Nissanparts.cc and typed in both numbers. Both numbers came up, The older one is about 27 cents a shot and the new one is $2.33 a shot. Both claim they still can be ordered, but I wouldn't be surprised if the older part number is NLA and that part will be cancelled. Also, don't worry about the price difference; nissanparts.cc will tack on a substantial shipping charge. From my experience, I would order 4 of each part just in case. But be prepared to wait a month for them to arrive. Some of the odd-ball parts have to be shipped from around the country. In that case, it may be a really good idea just to call nissanparts.cc (Bruce Titus) and see if they can give you any more info on availability. Just a heads up since you may be in a hurry.

By the way, are your dust covers trashed or useable?

thanks for the link its help big time

No problem. MKlotz runs that website now. As usual, he is the one to thankbiggrin.gif