Help Get Our 521 to Canby

The brake swap on the 521 is nearly complete except for a banjo bolt! I already have one for one side, thanks to Pumpkin.

Also I have exhausted all my resources. Been to Napa, Car Quest, etc. and no luck. Napa had a bolt that would thread in, but it is too short.

I have been to Tacoma and Lynnwood junkyards and can't find any more 720 bolts. In the pic below I have a bolt that I pulled off late 80's Nissan truck sitting next to the 720 bolt. They both thread in, but the 720 bolt is a bit longer. Plus the hole is a bit lower, which matches up with the caliper hose. I don't really want to grind the other bolt to let fluid flow into the caliper, but I am getting desperate. Might have to.

I would rather use the right part. Does anybody have an extra one available that I can get tomorrow or the next day? I am willing to drive a bit to make it happen. Or pay expedited shipping.

Thanks (The one on the left is the 720 bolt)

banjo-bolts.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, the regular 10mm banjo bolt should have worked just fine, think we only have one style of those, and they pretty much fit all metric calipers. It's not like it's super exact, as long as the hole is somewhere in the ring, it'll push fluid.

I'd just thread on a nut, grind it, back the nut off, clean up the threads, good to go. Make sure you clean out the interior of any grinding shavings.

I had to order my banjo bolts off of Jegs (granted it was for something else) Nobody carries it around here (at least in metric) I went everywhere, fastenall, ace, coast hardware, plumbing specialty places, etc.... Notta.

It is the front caliper brake on 720's. May not make a difference, but the two-wheel-drive truck. A 14mm wrench will fit the bolt head. It is approximately 1.5" long total and of the M10x1.0 variety. If you see a 80's Nissan Pathfinder or Hardbody, it will be the same size bolt except about 1/4" short. From junkyarding, it seems that most (if not all) of the Nissan trucks in the 80's used a very similar bolt.

I plan to head to the boring junk yard tomorrow. I need to know how to get to it and where it will be if you want me to grab it. I am sure they have a couple 720s...

If you see one, grab it. I will take it from you. But I am not sure if I can make an 8 hour roundtrip drive before Canby. Still I will take a backup. Only if it is convenient for you.

Thanks for the help.

I could go look at my local ( Olympia ) area yards tomorrow , ( If Pumpskin hasn`t already ), what is the bolt head size? so i could just carry that one wrench

Pumpkin and I raided the Tacoma yard. There is in fact a 720 there. One bolt came perfectly. The other is so seized in the caliper it rounded the bolt head off. I couldn't even get it out with my big channel locks.

Hmmm, the regular 10mm banjo bolt should have worked just fine, think we only have one style of those, and they pretty much fit all metric calipers. It's not like it's super exact, as long as the hole is somewhere in the ring, it'll push fluid.

I'd just thread on a nut, grind it, back the nut off, clean up the threads, good to go. Make sure you clean out the interior of any grinding shavings.

I am by no means a brake expert, so you may be right. I freaked out last night when I put the bolt in the caliper hose. It looks like there is thread pretty much completely over the inlet hole of the hose.

I may just grind it to get something going and pick up the right bolt later. I am a bit paranoid of knocking of that coating and weakening the bolt.

Thank you both for your help!! I feel like this project has been an emotional roller coaster..... we think that all is going well and it's going to flow smoothly, then run into another speed bump. This is about the third issue we've had that's set us back.

Brodster is currently on his way to meet up with bananahamuck to pick up the one that he grabbed. Javin, thanks for your help as well, but it sounds like this one should hopefully be our golden ticket! :sweat:

Don`t worry about it?? Dude i made him pay $45.00 for two ..supply and demand dont cha know..

j/k

oh and one for Ted for pointing out location

Problem with the supply and demand theory is as soon as he got yours the demand dropped down to 0 making my part worthless. I just didnt want anyone to miss Canby over a small part. Know what I mean?

Quote..Problem with the supply and demand theory is as soon as he got yours the demand dropped down to 0 making my part worthless

CURSES-1.gif

Now what am i going to do with the 4 i bought on the way home..

don`t take me to serious ..........i don`t

The brakes are finally DONE!!! :w00t: We've had the truck torn apart for this swap/upgrade, and numerous new bushings and such in the suspension as well, for over five weeks now. The wheels finally made their debut tonight..... about 20 minutes ago. We are a GO for Canby. Thanks guys for your help..... and thanks a ton to Mike for helping Brodster with his million +1 questions throughout this process :blush: