Header paint survey/opinion

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say coat it... but if you cant go black just clean it good with grease and wax remover or something like that and I took a torch to mine to heat it up and burn any left over moister and oil out of the metal. here is how mine looks with H.T. black after a just shy of a year

th_1969wagonpicsnew003.jpg

Heat will REALLY help!! Not just haveing him bake it when he's done, but, give it some heat right before you paint it. It helps the paint to last a lot longer than no heat. It's a trick I use on my 2stroke bikes as well.

Jester

I'm in Arizona.All i have to do is leave it in the sun for 2 minutes before i paint it.:blink:

ive had really good luck with vht brand header paint, you need to use the wifes oven tho, and it smokes, but never comes off. ive had it on now for 5 years, no flaking, no fading, no problem. id say white if your doing it old ratrod stlye. that looks period to me.

VHT Works really well. You need a heat gun. Get the header hot when you paint it. And heat it up a little after each coat. Don't go heavy on the paint. when you put it on the truck let the truck run for a couple minutes. Then let it cool. Do that a few times and it will help bake it, That will make it stick better. I did it on a header on my Z car (blue) It lasted quite a few years. Just don't rush it.

2eDeYe;43146']Didn't realize you were coating...

Black is my favorite color :P

69FJwagon' date=' I'd love to know how long that will last you. You'll have to post up a new pic in a few years. :D[/quote']

I have some plans for the FJ... Like going in my 620 in the next few months. So I dont know if I'll be able to use the header or not. But if I can, I for surely will post pictures.